Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  14

Thread: Built 68RFE vs 48RE

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Built 68RFE vs 48RE

This is nowhere in my near future but keeping it in mind.

I just came across a guy on IG that had been running some Redhorse built 68RFE in his 4th gen and it seemed to be holding tons of power no problem.

He's now having a 48RE built by Nixon to replace it.

Is this a good swap if you're not purely sled pulling or racing?

Is it a viable option for a reliable, high horse power daily driver over a Revmax 700 series 68RFE or something similar in the built 68 realm?

I understand you need some harnesses and electronics to make the swap work, but for reference, the Revmax 48re is much cheaper than the 68 (~half the cost) and they say will hold 1500hp.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Built 68RFE vs 48RE

Quote Originally Posted by 6.7 Coal Train View Post
    This is nowhere in my near future but keeping it in mind.

I just came across a guy on IG that had been running some Redhorse built 68RFE in his 4th gen and it seemed to be holding tons of power no problem.

He's now having a 48RE built by Nixon to replace it.

Is this a good swap if you're not purely sled pulling or racing?

Is it a viable option for a reliable, high horse power daily driver over a Revmax 700 series 68RFE or something similar in the built 68 realm?

I understand you need some harnesses and electronics to make the swap work, but for reference, the Revmax 48re is much cheaper than the 68 (~half the cost) and they say will hold 1500hp.
    Some people love it and some people hate it.

I would feel just fine by running a built 68RFE.

If you are an avid racer then i could see doing a 48 swap but I think you will be just fine with a built 68 my friend.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

3. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DDP View Post
    Some people love it and some people hate it.

I would feel just fine by running a built 68RFE.

If you are an avid racer then i could see doing a 48 swap but I think you will be just fine with a built 68 my friend.
    What's the down side to the built 48 if it truly is so robust?

Clunkier shifting? Just that it's a 4 speed?

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

5. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 6.7 Coal Train View Post
    What's the down side to the built 48 if it truly is so robust?

Clunkier shifting? Just that it's a 4 speed?
    Definitely losing two gears and i you will lose some factory options because of the tuning and programming in order to run it. I can't remember exactly what all is lost but i know there is a few. If your not over 800HP i wouldn't worry about it. I have plenty of guys that are in the 1k hp range on a built 68 and are just fine.

The 48RE should shift faster as well if you are worried about speed down the track or on the street. There is also alot of playing around with the swap as it's not as simple as drop the old one in and put the new one in it's place.

There will be quite a bit of computer time making sure everything is perfect. It's alot of headaches but if you are truly passionate about high hp then id say go for it but do a ton of research and make sure you pick a shop that knows what the heck they are doing.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

7. Thanks 6.7 Coal Train thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, 6.7 Coal Train liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I agree with Clayton. The biggest thing is there’s less gears which coverts to faster shifts (since there’s fewer) and less components to fail (overdrive clutches).

The 68 is a no brainer IMO for a daily/cruiser due to extra gears for highway/2 lane roads.

The transmission tuning coupled with aftermarket parts make them stout

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Thanks 6.7 Coal Train thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN, 6.7 Coal Train liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DDP View Post
    Definitely losing two gears and i you will lose some factory options because of the tuning and programming in order to run it. I can't remember exactly what all is lost but i know there is a few. If your not over 800HP i wouldn't worry about it. I have plenty of guys that are in the 1k hp range on a built 68 and are just fine.

The 48RE should shift faster as well if you are worried about speed down the track or on the street. There is also alot of playing around with the swap as it's not as simple as drop the old one in and put the new one in it's place.

There will be quite a bit of computer time making sure everything is perfect. It's alot of headaches but if you are truly passionate about high hp then id say go for it but do a ton of research and make sure you pick a shop that knows what the heck they are doing.
    I appreciate the info from both you and @TexNeck

I'm sure I will stick with the 68 down the road.

The extra headache, especially on a daily driver, probably isn't worth it on the 48 for me.

11. Likes watersupply189 liked this post