Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16

Thread: P0107 Causing VGT Fluctuation

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

P0107 Causing VGT Fluctuation

Two days ago I had a weird engine "stutter" under light throttle.

It cleared up before I could see anything on the MM3.

Today, I notice that at idle the VGT is at 75% (desired & actual).

The truck was at operating temp (193) and ambient air temperature was 65 F. It usually sits at 0% under these conditions.

When I started driving, the VGT position was fluctuating all over the place. Jumping from 30% to 80% to 45%... etc.

The desired position and actual position were matching, so I don't think it's an actuator issue (yet).

No CEL on the dash, but when I got home and checked DTCs on the MM3, it showed a P0107 code for the MAP sensor circuit.

I cleared the code, unplugged the sensor to check wiring and connection.

Haven't driven the truck yet, so I may be jumping the gun with this post.

My truck has 26k miles and EGR fell off at 6k. Is the MAP sensor a common failure on these engines?

It makes sense to me that a faulty MAP would cause the VGT to go haywire.

Have any of you experienced something similar?

2. Likes watersupply189, cwendel liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

Re: P0107 Causing VGT Fluctuation

Sounds dumb, but have you tried to clean the Map sensor and put it back. They normally don’t fail this early but it’s an electronic so anything is possible. They normally act up when dirty though

2018 2500, G56, SSSB3600, Arp625 Head studs, Arp Manifold studs,BD Diesel FMW 467.7 2nd gen swapped, MM3 Custom tuning by Ray, Ceramic Pro Gold, Toyo Mt 33x12.50x20, Hostile Sprocket 20x10 -19, Fass 165, DDP 150 sticks,10mm exergy stroker pump, Bd Throttle Booster, Money Pit! The fass165 150 sticks and 10mm pump did ok but was running out of rail for anyone interested. It's now gonna have DDP 100%'s, DDP 12mm pump and a FASS 250gph

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Pulled the MAP sensor this morning, and this is what I found. Keep in mind, there's only ~6,000 miles with an intact EGR. 26k total miles on the truck.

20200506_124848.jpg

I cleaned it up, dried it, and buttoned it back up. Started the truck and the VGT went back to 0% at idle, so that's a good sign. No DTC yet. I went ahead and ordered a replacement from Geno's just in case.

6. Likes watersupply189, Twalt1687, cwendel liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Update 1 - After cleaning the MAP sensor, the truck ran fine for a day.

Then on Sunday, it started acting up again with the same symptoms as in my original post.

I went ahead and replaced the MAP sensor, reset the code, and the truck ran great.

Fast forward to this afternoon: started the truck for a quick drive to the store.

It ran like sh*t... VGT was jumping all over the place, 30%-75%-40%.

No DTCs, no CEL. I monitored rail pressure actual and desired, and they were normal.

So, in my mind that rules out a bad FCA.

Checked all intercooler boots, all electrical connectors on the intake side (MAF, IAT, MAP), exhaust back pressure sensor connector, EGR block-off gaskets, throttle valve and throttle valve gasket.

Pulled the batteries to reset the ECM, and the truck drove normally.

There's no worse problem than an intermittent problem especially one that doesn't result in a code or visual evidence of a problem.

8. Likes watersupply189, Twalt1687 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

Well you always wanna rule out the easy cheap fixes first. Sounds like it may be actuator or turbo time. Do some research if you’re gonna replace a turbo don’t replace a problem with a problem LOL, it’s not funny but so many make the mistake and go through a handful of OEM VGT turbos on the life of a truck, when you can buy a good fixed vein or a better VGT if that’s your cup of tea. This is all speculation but it’s sure sounding like it’s a turbo issue now that you have eliminated a couple other of the common issues. Feel free to PM if you have turbo questions or we have some great vendors on here as well.

2018 2500, G56, SSSB3600, Arp625 Head studs, Arp Manifold studs,BD Diesel FMW 467.7 2nd gen swapped, MM3 Custom tuning by Ray, Ceramic Pro Gold, Toyo Mt 33x12.50x20, Hostile Sprocket 20x10 -19, Fass 165, DDP 150 sticks,10mm exergy stroker pump, Bd Throttle Booster, Money Pit! The fass165 150 sticks and 10mm pump did ok but was running out of rail for anyone interested. It's now gonna have DDP 100%'s, DDP 12mm pump and a FASS 250gph

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

VGT fluctuation is usually related to a bad actuator or a hiccup in the tune.

Out of curiosity, do you run a RT tune at every key on?

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I don't run any RT tunes.

I recently had @DRD re-tune for my valve body swap, but the truck ran fine for at least 1,000 miles after the re-tune, so I don't believe it's a tuning/tuner issue.

As far as the VGT position, actual % matches demanded, so either something is squirrelly and telling the VGT to open and close repeatedly, or the electronic side of the actuator is on its way out.

Considering that it doesn't do it every key cycle, it's most likely the latter.

I've got a couple more things I want to check, but if they don't resolve the issue I'm pulling the trigger on an S364.5 and hitting Ray up for another re-tune.... just figured my stock VGT would last longer than 26k miles.

Should have known that with my luck I wouldn't get away with just a $60 MAP sensor.

14. Likes watersupply189, Twalt1687 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

What was the resolution on this?

2015 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ AISIN 3.73 rears
    2003 Ram 3500 Crew Cab SRW w/ NV4500 w/gear vendors, VGT and much much more.. 3.73 rears
    2002 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ NV5600- bone stock 3.55 rears

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post