Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: G56 Shift Fork Question

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

G56 Shift Fork Question

Hey folks, like the title states i have a question about my clutch fork. I will give a little bit of background info.

My truck is a 2018 which has been entirely deleted since 1200 miles.

Around 9000 miles i installed an SB DD rated for 550/1100 hp/tq.

Great clutch except for all the rattle/chatter in neutral at idle. At first, it drove great and shifted great. After a few pulls down the local track (got talked into it, as my truck is not a racer, its a daily driver and weekend toy hauler puller for the rzr's) at a diesel wars event it began to become hard to get into gear when stopped. The noise at idle in neutral got even louder, and only had around 10,000 miles on this setup. We tested the hydros, and all tested fine. I was fed up with the noise and shifting issues, so i called SB, and talked with them. They set me up with a custom single disk (didn't want the noise/chatter at idle/neutral) full ceramic setup and even helped me out with giving me an excellent core for my dual disk solid flywheel in return.

Anyway, all of the single disk setups don't come with a new shift fork. When i installed the new single setup, i used the one that came with the dual setup but added the washer back behind the pivot ball shaft (via instructions from SB and was assured that it would work) because, of course, i don't still have the original fork anymore. Now my question is there a difference between these two forks? I have about 2000 miles one my new single setup, and when the clutch is cold, it will slip even on my 60hp setting from DRD, but when the clutch builds some heat, the slipping seems to go away. This just does not seem right to me. I am wondering if the folk setup may be causing the throwout bearing to ever so slightly be putting pressure on the fingers and causing the slipping.

I am stumped, and hopefully, someone will chime in and get me pointed in the right direction.

I like the new single and even the grabbiness, it is not that bad, I just hope I don't have to pull the trans again, but maybe the third time will be a charm.

Thanks again, guys/gals.

Bryan

2. Likes 03 unicorn, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: G56 Shift Fork Question

I had one do that but it was a lever 3850 CB and a lever had broke.

Swapped to another pressure plate and it was good to go again.

It was real hard to get into gear after it broke and wasn’t shifting good.

It had about 6 passes with a sled hooked to it and 25k street miles when it broke.

Peter up there said it wasn’t a street clutch but I was hard headed.

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I will agree on that, my dual disk I was running was acting similar to what u described.

But my new single setup shifts great, goes into gear great an will hold power after clutch gets some heat in it.

Just don’t understand why it slips till it’s built some heat up.

To me any slippage especially with the ceramic disk is really hard on the flywheel.

There has to be a reason the dual disk setups come with a new release fork an the single setups don’t.

I’m tempted to just order a new OEM fork an pull trans again an find out.

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Those ceramic discs are hard on the pressure plate and flywheel. It doesn’t make any sense to me how it can slip at that low of HP when cold but hold when warm. Something is warped or not searing correct until it’s hot and starts growing

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Exactly, its makes no sense what so ever.

That's why I'm asking if maybe it could be a slight design difference in the DD release fork rather then the OEM that maybe is causing some sort of geometry issues with the contact of the bearing and pressure plate.

My new setup has less then 2200 miles.

When we installed the new single the shop and I were super slow doing the work and double checking everything we did along the way.

I have yet to pull my camper with it and going camping end of the month, longs as this virus mess does not cancel the trip.

When I talked to SB I was informed it could be condensation/moisture etc on the surface and until it built enough heat that's why was slipping and do give it more time to break in.

But my old SDD3250-GK-ORG never slipped, ever!

So I highly doubt that's the issue.

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I never had to change any shift forks with the 3 I used with G56.

A friend had a single from them and it held fine but was a bit rough backing a trailer but it never slipped.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post