Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Headstuds Concern

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Exclamation Headstuds Concern

So I started doing my head studs on my '16 CTD and have noticed that they are bottoming out at different depths based on the amount of threads above the nut.

I've been blowing out the holes, running the studs down until they bottom out, taking them out, and wiping them off to remove any oil that may be left in the threads and running them down again, finishing by backing out a half turn.

Looking at the pictures you can see what I mean that studs 5 and 7 have more threads.

Is this normal and just keep on going?

Also before anyone asks or suggests, no I did not get the longer 6.625" studs in the wrong place.

2016 2500HD Tradesman, 6.7, 4x4, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 68RFE, MAG-HYTEC pan, RevMax Transmission Cooler Thermostatic Bypass, RevMax valve body, 4.10, RaceME, Rays tune, HPP EGR/Cooler Delete, XDP Throttle Valve Delete, FloPro 5", 295/65R20 Ridge Grappler

2. Thanks Thomas1960 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Headstuds Concern

OK so I went ahead and kept moving on.

It appears that there are 3 studs that are in further then the other remaining 20 (not including the longer exhaust studs).

I'm just gonna run with it.

2016 2500HD Tradesman, 6.7, 4x4, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 68RFE, MAG-HYTEC pan, RevMax Transmission Cooler Thermostatic Bypass, RevMax valve body, 4.10, RaceME, Rays tune, HPP EGR/Cooler Delete, XDP Throttle Valve Delete, FloPro 5", 295/65R20 Ridge Grappler

4. Thanks Thomas1960 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

This is why some people use a bottoming tap on the threads, but you will be perfectly fine this also happens to me when I did mine.

16 cummins Laramie longhorn, ccsb, 35x12.5x20 xplora mts ,tis wheels,fully deleted, pusher add a turbo kit,stainless diesel 475 5blade turbo over 63mm VGT delete turbo,manton springs, manton valve bridges,manton pushrods,ARP 625 headstuds,steedspeed t4i manifold , S&S 80% over injectors, thuren rear trackbar, kingspeed billet valve cover, revmax valve body billet plate, CCV reroute, pusher intake horn, thuren 2in level with king 2.5 front and rear, sway bar kit ,track bar and king steering damper. Air bags from airlift. 4" exhaust, fass lift pump,MM3,DRD tunes.pusher coolant reroute.

6. Thanks Thomas1960 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, InlineSix.7, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Same happened with mine even after chasing the threads and a thorough cleaning.

I just run them in until they bottomed out, backed out 1/2 turn and run with it.

8. Thanks BlackBart thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post