Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  41
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing Gears

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Changing Gears

I’m changing my gears on my 2014 Ram, from 3.42 to 4.56.

Anyone know if that will effect my spark plug update and the way the transmission will handle with memory relearn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Changing Gears

I don't have a honest / truthful answer to your questions - but if you don't mind sharing - in a round up fashion the cost of this total modification?

I really was going to look into doing a swap to either 3:73 or 4:10 after the JUDGE receives the full DRD treatment. (Finding a honest / Reputable shop in my area will be the hardest challenge)

Though my common sense brain cell - tells me you would think with that broad of gear change - would have some effect on the transmission shift points... I would think a serious relearn would be in the works - maybe line psi needs to be tweaked as well?

In the past - talking with 2500 Ram 6.4L owners who re-geared - claimed it changed the whole attitude /personality of their trucks...

Especially when towing - I don't recall them talking about having to do anything special - when it come to out side programming.

(Maybe a transmission 're-learn was all that was needed)?

Ok! I apologize - SyN (Shut the Up)!

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy8twofour View Post
    I’m changing my gears on my 2014 Ram, from 3.42 to 4.56.

Anyone know if that will effect my spark plug update and the way the transmission will handle with memory relearn?

Most of the time the gear change does not require a retune. Also, may i ask why 4.56? Is it for bigger tires or do you tow extremely heavy?

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

5. Likes SyN, watersupply189 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I’m changing because I’m running 35” tires and going to 37. My 2008 came with 3.73’s and didn’t do too bad with 35”. I firmly believe dodge has the gears lowered down so much for fuel economy and stock tires. I do tow a skid steer and attachments around, but only periodically. I have read a few articles about getting the power back to the ground and taking the stress off the tranny with the Oversized tires

7. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    I don't have a honest / truthful answer to your questions - but if you don't mind sharing - in a round up fashion the cost of this total modification?

I really was going to look into doing a swap to either 3:73 or 4:10 after the JUDGE receives the full DRD treatment. (Finding a honest / Reputable shop in my area will be the hardest challenge)

Though my common sense brain cell - tells me you would think with that broad of gear change - would have some effect on the transmission shift points... I would think a serious relearn would be in the works - maybe line psi needs to be tweaked as well?

In the past - talking with 2500 Ram 6.4L owners who re-geared - claimed it changed the whole attitude /personality of their trucks...

Especially when towing - I don't recall them talking about having to do anything special - when it come to out side programming.

(Maybe a transmission 're-learn was all that was needed)?

Ok! I apologize - SyN (Shut the Up)!
    East Coast Gear Supply quoted me just over $2600 OTD for them to do it.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Thanks SyN thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

CDF:

When it comes time & If choose to do a similar swap - I will have to do some searching around the metro area - locally is a joke when it comes to dependable /trust worthy mechanical work being done.

I guess I need to research to see what other gear ratios are available for the 11.5" AAM.

Keeping the 6.7L within its RPM sweet spot while towing @ (60-65mph) is something I need to look at as well...

Thinking about it (Replacing the anti-slip with a locker design might be a good choice while this Work is being done). -----> Shake that $$$$ Tree!

I am keeping my OEM - 20" wheels.

So 3:73 or 4:10 might be better suited for my needs?

This is a few years down the road - so I have plenty of time to gather ideas & opinions...

11. Likes watersupply189, DieselDingus liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

CDF:

When it comes time & If choose to do a similar swap - I will have to do some searching around the metro area - locally is a joke when it comes to dependable /trust worthy mechanical work being done.

I guess I need to research to see what other gear ratios are available for the 11.5" AAM.

Keeping the 6.7L within its RPM sweet spot while towing @ (60-65mph) is something I need to look at as well...

Thinking about it (Replacing the anti-slip with a locker design might be a good choice while this Work is being done). -----> Shake that $$$$ Tree!

I am keeping my OEM - 20" wheels.

So 3:73 or 4:10 might be better suited for my needs?

This is a few years down the road - so I have plenty of time to gather ideas & opinions...
    To me, it just depends on how much towing/weight you do in addition to how big of a tire you plan to run.

I tow a 7x14 aluminum enclosed trailer loaded down with a sxs and gear.

I have a manual with 3.42's and 35" tires, 4.10s are my first choice but if I had 37s with everything I said above, 4.56s would be something to consider.

Whether coming from 3.42 or 3.73s, going to 4.10s on these trucks makes a night and day difference.

Also, if your truck is a 4x4 you can't just change the gearing in the rear end, front has to be changed too, a lot of people don't know that when inquiring about parts.

Just my thoughts, take it for what it's worth.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

13. Thanks SyN, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN, AK Bob, Krazy8twofour liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Yes I did know the front differential gears have to be replaced as well.

If I knew the Wife (Boss) - was going to want or only desire to RV locally - say 50 to 200 miles distance - I would be content (stay with the 3:42s) ...

But I have a gut feeling - once we begin our adventures - I feel she will have temptations of visiting S Texas & Arkansas & maybe Colorado & New Mexico - so I'm kind of going outside the box & planning ahead...

I'm by no means thinking the 3:42s are a poor choice all around - since I was told by my service mgr " That the 3:42 gearing was selected mainly to keep the RPMs within the ideal torque range of the 6.7L while towing at highway speed & of course for better mpg...

He did say after that - if I'm going to be towing close to my max most of the time - especially @ higher elevations...
    The 3:73 or 4:10 might be better options & make life much easier on my 6.7L & 68RFE...

Re-gearing will definitely be my last drive train modification performed...

Air-bags & upgraded brakes will happen first then possibly a call to DRD... Then look into re-gearing... If my 68RFE keeps a positive attitude...

15. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Yes I did know the front differential gears have to be replaced as well.

If I knew the Wife (Boss) - was going to want or only desire to RV locally - say 50 to 200 miles distance - I would be content (stay with the 3:42s) ...

But I have a gut feeling - once we begin our adventures - I feel she will have temptations of visiting S Texas & Arkansas & maybe Colorado & New Mexico - so I'm kind of going outside the box & planning ahead...

I'm by no means thinking the 3:42s are a poor choice all around - since I was told by my service mgr " That the 3:42 gearing was selected mainly to keep the RPMs within the ideal torque range of the 6.7L while towing at highway speed & of course for better mpg...

He did say after that - if I'm going to be towing close to my max most of the time - especially @ higher elevations...
    The 3:73 or 4:10 might be better options & make life much easier on my 6.7L & 68RFE...

Re-gearing will definitely be my last drive train modification performed...

Air-bags & upgraded brakes will happen first then possibly a call to DRD... Then look into re-gearing... If my 68RFE keeps a positive attitude...
    Ol buddy my guess is the EPA had their hand in 3.42s.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

17. Likes watersupply189, SyN, Krazy8twofour liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I went back and forth debating 4.10s vs 4.56s. I knew i wanted to do 37s now and figured maybe some years down the road I'm might be ok with settling for 35s again (way, way down the road... maybe...). I got the 37s and drove the around for about a month before i couldn't stand it anymore and had to do the regear. I finally decided on the 4.10s after watching a lot of videos on the 4.56s and some of those guys saying the 4.56s were just a little to high of rpm for their taste. That coupled with the fact that I knew i'd only ever go smaller in tire size, I went with the AMM 4.10s. I've been very pleased with the rpm range and the way the truck drives now. I didnt have to do anything with the spark plug upgrade after regearing. Shifts were right back to normal and truck felt like it was happy again. It also made pulling my 10k# boat a dream. I was able to find a local guy that does a lot of offroad vehicle work that did a great job. It was around $2500 parts and labor installed.

2016 Ram 2500 Mega Cab - 68RFE - Carli 2.5" level coils - Carli radius arm drops - Carli 1" rear coils w/ RC 1" rear spacers - 17x8.5 0mm Method Mesh - 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T - AAM 4.10 gears - Airlift 5000 bags - Airlift Wireless OBO - PacBrake Oil Filter Relocator

19. Thanks SyN, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, InlineSix.7, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast