Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  41
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changing Gears

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Changing Gears

I was quoted 4300 (all in) which apparently seems normal with labor and parts.

A gear kit will just north of a grand, and labor for this job doesn’t look fun or easy.

Setting the tolerances and backlash is not suited for a couple of buddies and a case of beer.

I am having my wheel bearings replaced at the same because- well why not ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanks SyN, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy8twofour View Post
    I was quoted 4300 (all in) which apparently seems normal with labor and parts.

A gear kit will just north of a grand, and labor for this job doesn’t look fun or easy.

Setting the tolerances and backlash is not suited for a couple of buddies and a case of beer.

I am having my wheel bearings replaced at the same because- well why not ?

Is that $4300 USD? That's almost double the quote of mine and others.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    Is that $4300 USD? That's almost double the quote of mine and others.
    Yes US dollars.

Here’s my two cents- a set of gears for front and rear differential kit is 1000- 1200 bucks alone.

Throw in fluid it’s another 70-100 bucks.

It takes a shop roughly two full days to do it.

If u think shop time is 500 bucks a day- then u get what u pay for.

There is YouTube video of a guy who went from 3.42 to 4.56 in Massachusetts that his all in bill was about 4500.

The labor is gonna be the most expensive part of this entire process in my opinion.

I’ve had shops quote me 840 bucks to change out a 40 dollar thermostat in my Jeep Cherokee because it’s a real bearcat to get too.

Did it myself with a little help- and after about 6 hours- wish I would’ve paid the damn 800.

Time is money so if someone quoted 2300 all in- I would say “good luck and hope it works out for ya”

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy8twofour View Post
    Yes US dollars.

Here’s my two cents- a set of gears for front and rear differential kit is 1000- 1200 bucks alone.

Throw in the fluid it’s another 70-100 bucks.

It takes a shop roughly two full days to do it.

If u think shop time is 500 bucks a day- then u get what u pay for.

There is a YouTube video of a guy who went from 3.42 to 4.56 in Massachusetts that his all in the bill was about 4500.

Labor is gonna be the most expensive part of this entire process in my opinion.

I’ve had shops quote me 840 bucks to change out a 40 dollar thermostat in my Jeep Cherokee because it’s a real bearcat to get too.

Did it myself with a little help- and after about 6 hours- wish I would’ve paid the damn 800.

Time is money so if someone quoted 2300 all in- I would say “good luck and hope it works out for ya”

The dealership quoted me around $4500 for everything.

I went with the other guy not only for the $2500 price but because I trusted his work quality after going and taking a look at his shop and the work he was doing.

I'm not sure the average in other parts of the country but I was glad I was able to find somebody I trusted locally that didn't charge me an arm and leg.

I think it just comes down to doing your research too.

I called as many people as I could find with not a lot of luck.

If I hadn't found this guy I would have probably had no choice but to have the dealership do it.

I've been running the 4.10s for about 2 years now.

Did you decide on your gear ratio?

2016 Ram 2500 Mega Cab - 68RFE - Carli 2.5" level coils - Carli radius arm drops - Carli 1" rear coils w/ RC 1" rear spacers - 17x8.5 0mm Method Mesh - 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T - AAM 4.10 gears - Airlift 5000 bags - Airlift Wireless OBO - PacBrake Oil Filter Relocator

8. Likes watersupply189, Krazy8twofour liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

I am confident that unless you are running 40" (maybe 37s) tires, 4.56 will be to short. With 35s and 4.10s i sit st 1750rpm at 65mph. Yes it will pull a house but if you do moderate highway driving you will be wishing for a taller gear.

It would be nice to find a neighbor with 4.10s and take a test drive, finding a neighbor with 4.56 might be tough.

If you live in a rural area and drive all back roads or mountain roads it may be fine.

It's a big commitment, not to be made lightly.

Good luck.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, 3" BDS Coil over, DuraFlap, 68RFE, 4.10, 35s, Front receiver, Krown protected

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Here's a couple charts i made to compare the 4.10 gears with 35" vs 37" tires and a second one comparing 4.56 gears with 35" vs 37" tires.

Each color line represents each gear (1st - 6th) and you can see the corresponding speed vs RPM.

2016 Ram 2500 Mega Cab - 68RFE - Carli 2.5" level coils - Carli radius arm drops - Carli 1" rear coils w/ RC 1" rear spacers - 17x8.5 0mm Method Mesh - 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T - AAM 4.10 gears - Airlift 5000 bags - Airlift Wireless OBO - PacBrake Oil Filter Relocator

12. Thanks watersupply189, Doc thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

@scs210

nice charts, would you be able to add a trend on each chart of 3.42 and 33” tire?

2018 srw 3500

14. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

I think this is what you were looking for. I only show the 6th gear line to keep it clean.

So the red line is stock tires (33") and stock gears of 3.42.

Basically going from a stock setup to 4.10s and 37s you're running a little less than 100rpm higher at 60mph.

Going from stock to 4.56s and 37s you're running about 250rpm higher at 60mph.

15. Thanks Krazy8twofour, Doc thanked for this post
    Likes Doc, Krazy8twofour liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    I don't have a honest / truthful answer to your questions - but if you don't mind sharing - in a round up fashion the cost of this total modification?

I really was going to look into doing a swap to either 3:73 or 4:10 after the JUDGE receives the full DRD treatment. (Finding a honest / Reputable shop in my area will be the hardest challenge)

Though my common sense brain cell - tells me you would think with that broad of gear change - would have some effect on the transmission shift points... I would think a serious relearn would be in the works - maybe line psi needs to be tweaked as well?

In the past - talking with 2500 Ram 6.4L owners who re-geared - claimed it changed the whole attitude /personality of their trucks...

Especially when towing - I don't recall them talking about having to do anything special - when it come to out side programming.

(Maybe a transmission 're-learn was all that was needed)?

Ok! I apologize - SyN (Shut the Up)!
    Old thread- but I did swap my gears to 4.56 running 37x20 tires.

It did cost me about 4500.00 plus a Ram Air diff cover was right at 5k.

If a person can find a smaller garage/shop, that doesn’t have the higher overhead, that’s the way to go.

My opinion on the swap?

I could’ve went to 4:30 with this tire size and been just as happy.

The 4:56 do have a higher RPM at higher speeds, which is louder and takes a minute to get used too.

I have a 5” aluminum drive shaft that earns me about exceeding 110MPH, so I don’t push it very hard over 90.

No need.

If I was gonna do it again- I’d do 4:30.

4.56 gears- Wehrli 2nd Gen swap with fleece exhaust brake-fleece power flow pump- 5” exhaust- 37x20 Toyo ATIII- 625 ARP- monster Air Ram- Fox shocks 2.0- BDS dual stabilizer- DRD cured

17. Thanks TexNeck thanked for this post
    Likes TexNeck liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12