Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  31
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 68RFE Stuck in 4th Gear after Screen and Filter Change

1. Top Of Page | #1

68RFE Stuck in 4th Gear after Screen and Filter Change

2008 2500 Laramie 4x4 has H&S Black Maxx, 4” monster ram intake and both bank tubes, grid delete, EGR delete S&B intake, FLO~PRO 5” turbo-back exhaust.

110k miles and did my second trans screen and filter change today.

I am pretty sure I screwed up when I refilled tranny, as I was not in neutral, it was running but in the park.

Now the tuner says it’s in Park/neutral all the time, and when I take it out of the park, it goes straight to 4th gear.

Should I extract the fluid and try to refill in neutral or do I have bigger problems?

The transmission is completely stock and has never given me a single problem until today.

2. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Did you install a Mopar OEM Filter?

I had read somewhere on this forum about issues when using other brands or knockoffs.

Sure someone else with a 68RFE will chime in.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Not sure if you got it figured out but my buddy had a similar issue after he changed his.

Well 3 days later I took it apart for him wasting all the fluid LOL and found out the screw on filter wasn't tight.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    Filter is as tight as I could get it by hand.

It is a not a Mopar filter though.

I did this 50k miles ago used the same filter screen combo with no problems.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Do u still have the two old filters u just removed?

The flat pancake filter was the seal that goes into the housing still good with no signs of damage?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear about these issues and like others have mentioned, it's probably linked to an issue with an aftermarket filter, an o-ring that didn't seal properly (or is missing) in the pancake filter or something along those lines. The plastic threads on the screw on filter can also break and create an internal leak if over-tightened. Adding fluid to the transmission with the engine off and in park should not cause any issues. When checking the fluid level, the fluid should be warm, engine running and in neutral. Let us know what you figure out but chances are it's something simple since it happened right after you performed the service.

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

12. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Just for the record - there have been more then a handful of 68RFE owners whom state after service they refill with the exact same amount as drained & after reaching operating temp - show the same level whether in park or neutral!

I feel the most important aspect - is to check fluid level with ATF temps at least showing to be 120°F or higher...

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

14. Likes watersupply189, InlineSix.7, AK Bob liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

are you getting any codes like 750?

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

i had that issue after i put a dorman reman china junk solinoid packin after service LOL ,,went to dodge got a brand new Mopar pack drained tank pulled valave body and instaled new oem pack went back to normal

18. Likes SyN, watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Maybe unplug and plug your pack connector back in and see if that changes.

If u have code 750 its the solenoid pack.

20. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast