Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  33

Thread: Oil change interval

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Oil change interval

I have had my 12 Cummins for a couple months now and I'm switching over to ams oil signature series next week and was wondering what everyone was doing for mileage on oil changes? I have a 1500 hemi that I do every 5000 with ams but wasnt sure with diesel.

2. Thanks watersupply189, AnOldBiker thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Oil change interval

Quote Originally Posted by Madison55 View Post
    I have had my 12 Cummins for a couple months now and I'm switching over to ams oil signature series next week and was wondering what everyone was doing for mileage on oil changes? I have a 1500 hemi that I do every 5000 with ams but wasnt sure with diesel.
    Welcome friend! I change mine every 10,000 or one year which ever comes first.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Thanks Madison55 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Madison: do you have future plans of adding a single or dual stage by-pass filter system & take advantage of Amsoil extended drain interval capabilities?

Reason being - I've witnessed many amsoil users run the oil for 6K -10K miles then drain & send a UOA in & it come back showing a TBN of 5-4.

Which means this oil still had a lot of life left within it.

The owner could have easily taken this oil well past 15K - 20K miles with a higher quality filtering system.

Not trying to create drama - I'm just asking since this oil is not cheap.

I'm going to try to extend my OCI out to Once a year after I reach the 25K - 30K mile mark...
    (break-in wear metals should be slowing down around this time).

If I need to change it every 6 months - that's no big deal (Every Nov & April)

Everybody's driving style & habits are different so it makes it difficult to recommend a proper/ideal OCI.
    Oil type whether it's Conventional/Semi-Synthetic/Full Synthetic/100% Synthetic - plays a part in this - as well as filter choice...

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Depends on if you're stock or deleted. For 07.5-12 stock use at OEM recommended intervals because of heavy EGR.

On newer trucks Amsoil can be 2x OEM recommendation not to exceed 25,000 miles or 1 year whichever comes first.

If deleted feel free to extend it and with oil analysis you can extend further.

I use a remote dual bypass filter setup and haven't changed it in 6 years using series 3000 5w-30... about 60,000 miles.

I send a sample every spring.

I think I'll switch to AME 15W-40 because of the high TBN of 12 which will give it even better soot and acid protection.

There's been an EZ-Drain valve in my tool box for five years with no chance to install it yet... LOL.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Edit: my first post was for otr trucks and not pickups. I entered correct intervals above.

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

7. Top Of Page | #5
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I very much agree with the bypass unit. But run it the 1 year or 15k them send in a sample. You should get that at a minimum.

I run a bypass unit, sent samples in each year and as long as I was in specs, kept going. Did 80k and just had to change it for the heck of it.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

8. Likes SyN, watersupply189, Madison55 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

hey guys im new to to forum and just purchased all my stuff to delete. Anyway what exactly do you mean by you put in a bypass unit? Do you have a picture of a site i can check it out on? Thanks

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

This is just 1 simple design - There are many to choose from!

With a few of the particular designs the replacement filters are ridiculously expensive & there are a few that are responsible & do a terrific job...

I always get asked ---> Ya but are they really necessary?
    Only the owner who is installing it can answer that -- Just Opinions!

Run a Donaldson DBL7349 & Ye oil will get filtered pretty pretty good...

With Oil & Filter topics a lot of folks are extremely sensitive & take it personal when you don't run/use what they use!
    Good Luck in your choice & Decision...

Edit: If ya do your research - you will find hundreds/thousands of owners whom have had meticulous maintenance habits while running conventional Rotella or Delvac w/Mopar Filters & achieved well over 200-400k miles & still have very little blow by...
    A lot of owners like myself go way overboard with Oil & Filtering - Mostly in the end - Its all about that warm fuzzy feeling we get from running a higher end oil & Filtering system...

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

12. Thanks watersupply189, 17cummings thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, 17cummings, cogdellja liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Madison55 View Post

Owners Manual should say every 6 months, 15K miles, or 500 engine hours.... whichever come first. For me thats every 6 months

Good stuff.... Truckers bring it

14. Likes watersupply189, 17cummings, Madison55 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Unless you're going to send off oil samples to be tested, I personally recommend 10k miles whether you're stock or deleted. I recommend the Amsoil Eao-80 oil filter too.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

16. Thanks watersupply189, Madison55 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Madison55 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

I go 5k with Amsoil signature series... perhaps overkill but doesn't bother me.

18. Likes watersupply189, Madison55 liked this post