Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  26

Thread: Considering Aftermarket Intake Horn, Do I Need Retuned?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Considering Aftermarket Intake Horn, Do I Need Retuned?

So, Im thinking about swapping out my stock intake horn for an aftermarket. My truck is full delete and tune by DRD, and use it to pull a large 5th wheel RV. We travel full-time, moving every few weeks.

If I do swap horns, will I need to contact DRD to adjust my tune?

This next question is a slippery slope, I know, but just want to ask again.

What horns do you recommend, performance vs cost?

Looking at the price for a Banks is pretty crazy, vs possible gains.

I have done some research on the different horns, but there is a lot of conflicting opinions, so figured I would spark the debate again.

If anyone cares to chime in.

Thanks!

2. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, SyN, Jaxonsram liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Considering Aftermarket Intake Horn, Do I Need Retuned?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyZ View Post
    So, Im thinking about swapping out my stock intake horn for an aftermarket. My truck is full delete and tune by DRD, and use it to pull a large 5th wheel RV. We travel full-time, moving every few weeks.

I have done some research on the different horns, but there is a lot of conflicting opinions, so figured I would spark the debate again.

Thanks!
    Stay away from Banks look at GDP or any of the other reputable companies talk to Clayton at DDP and he will get you hooked up with tons of info and parts

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MightyZ View Post

Thanks!
    Just swapping the horn will not require a retune.

If you plan on removing the stock grid heater also then you will have a check engine light.

To get rid of the check engine light you have two choices either request a tuning adjustment to eliminate it or purchase a intake horn with the ability to add an aftermarket grid heater such as the one from GDP (Glacier Diesel Performance).

I don’t have any advice on aftermarket horns, but I am running the stock horn with the stock grid heater abandoned in place due to concerns about the “killer bolt” and have installed the GDP grid heater for cold starting and to eliminate the code.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

5. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

no retune required.

7. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    Stay away from Banks look at GDP or any of the other reputable companies talk to Clayton at DDP and he will get you hooked up with tons of info and parts
    Why not Banks?

I'm just wondering.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

9. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jman55 View Post
    Why not Banks?

I'm just wondering.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    You stated it in your initial post- price vs gains and several guys don’t appreciate the way he degrades other brands to push his.

GDP is a great looking and flowing horn.

I have a H&S on mine and it does fine- no gains to be had but it does clean up the engine bay nicely and has ports for Boost or water meth when the time comes.

@AK Bob you can disconnect the grid heater power cable but leave solenoid in place and not have a CEL. I have done this with mine and have no issue with DRD initial tune file.

My understanding is if you just start the truck and don’t wait to start you will not see a cel. So far so good for me.

I have grid delete plate new since my factory was not Gunked up enough to justify the install for my scenario.

keep us posted with what you do and reach out to us here at DDP with questions!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

11. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob, Jaxonsram, BlackBart thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, SyN, Jaxonsram liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

@TexNeck If the heater element is not in the grid heater circuit you should receive a P2609 code. The Intake Air Heater monitor looks for a change in battery voltage as the heater is turned on and off during preheat, to indicate proper operation. The Intake Air Heater performance DTC is a two trip fault. The PCM will turn off the MIL lamp when the monitor runs and passes in 4 consecutive drive cycles.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

13. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, cogdellja liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    @TexNeck If the heater element is not in the grid heater circuit you should receive a P2609 code. The Intake Air Heater monitor looks for a change in battery voltage as the heater is turned on and off during preheat, to indicate proper operation. The Intake Air Heater performance DTC is a two trip fault. The PCM will turn off the MIL lamp when the monitor runs and passes in 4 consecutive drive cycles.
    That makes sense with just turning the key and not waiting to preheat then. If you don’t request preheat/turn key to run and let it sit then there is no communication to activate the grid heater and there is no code. If I were to command it and it requested but did not detect drop in voltage then code would appear

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

15. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, cogdellja liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    That makes sense with just turning the key and not waiting to preheat then. If you don’t request preheat/turn key to run and let it sit then there is no communication to activate the grid heater and there is no code. If I were to command it and it requested but did not detect drop in voltage then code would appear
    Absolutely, however living in Alaska I use the remote start all winter and it waits for the preheat. I would then have to clear the code before I could do another remote start.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

17. Likes watersupply189, cogdellja liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Absolutely, however living in Alaska I use the remote start all winter and it waits for the preheat. I would then have to clear the code before I could do another remote start.

I hear that!

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

19. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post