Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: UConnect Background Noise

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

UConnect Background Noise

I am sure this likely has been discussed before however I could not find anything using the search function.

I have a 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie with the nav system (I think RER) and am told, when making a hands free call, there is quite a bit of what sounds like "wind noise" during the call. people are constantly telling me it is hard to hear me however on my end the sound quality is great.

To try to combat this, I usually turn the fan off and close the windows but it seems like this does not do much.

I know my "software" is grossly out of date but I am also not sure how to update it.

I would SUPER appreciate it if someone could direct me to not only where to go for updates but how to transfer them into my system.

That being said, has someone moved the location of their hands free mic?

I am assuming it is in the rear view mirror...would moving this to the sun visor improve things?

I am almost on the verge of just changing the entire system out to aftermarket in order to resolve this.

Thanks for the time and the assistance!!

Cheers,
    Dean

The only practical use for that pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should not have dropped in the first place!!

2012 Ram 3500 6.7 HO Black QC SB - Full EGR/DPF Delete, 4" Flow Pro Turbo Back - FASS Titanium 150 with sump and fuel heater - Awesome Double R Tune

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: UConnect Background Noise

Hey Dean! I believe the mics is in the rear view mirror.

Try google or you tube to see how to do an over the air update.

Anytime my radio updates it gives me a message on the screen.

Hopefully someone else may have a better suggestion and will chime in.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gsxrgrizz View Post
    I am sure this likely has been discussed before however I could not find anything using the search function.

I have a 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie with the nav system (I think RER) and am told, when making a hands free call, there is quite a bit of what sounds like "wind noise" during the call. people are constantly telling me it is hard to hear me however on my end the sound quality is great.

To try to combat this, I usually turn the fan off and close the windows but it seems like this does not do much.

I know my "software" is grossly out of date but I am also not sure how to update it.

I would SUPER appreciate it if someone could direct me to not only where to go for updates but how to transfer them into my system.

I am assuming it is in the rear view mirror...would moving this to the sun visor improve things?

I am almost on the verge of just changing the entire system out to aftermarket in order to resolve this.

Cheers,
    Dean
    On the Uconnect update, you can also download them by entering your VIN# on the Mopar.com website.

Also see this link for information and list of files you will need to unzip from the download.

Uconnect Update: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Thanks to both of you for the replies and the direction.

I tried to go onto the Mopar website, entered my VIN as directed but received a message stating that my 2012 vehicle was up to date.

This does not make sense to me as the system has not been updated since it was purchased new in 2012.

I can't see them not sending out an update since then.

If this is the case, I may need to seriously look into an aftermarket option.

The only practical use for that pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should not have dropped in the first place!!

2012 Ram 3500 6.7 HO Black QC SB - Full EGR/DPF Delete, 4" Flow Pro Turbo Back - FASS Titanium 150 with sump and fuel heater - Awesome Double R Tune

8. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thanks to both of you for the replies and the direction....I tried to go onto the Mopar website, entered my VIN as directed but received a message stating that my 2012 vehicle was up to date. This does not make sense to me as the system has not been updated since it was purchased new in 2012. I can't see them not sending out an update since then.

If this is the case, I may need to seriously look into an aftermarket option
    Very strange, maybe a good idea to give them a call to see if they can shed any light on the availability of updates.

Please keep us posted.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I will give them a call and see what they say.

The really strange thing is the message came up stating there is no update for the 2012 equipment currently installed.

12. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Cheers,
    Dean
    I wouldn't get too stressed about firmware updates. My '09 1500 (first year of the RER/RHR ) got firmware updates all the time but I think they got all that figured out by the time the '12s came around. I don't recall ever having to do a USB update on my '12.

Start simple and check the mic openings in the mirror for any dust or lint. It doesn't take much to mess with sound pick up. You might need to replace the whole mirror but even that won't be as costly or time consuming as replacing the radio.

If you decide to replace the radio it not a hard job either. I did on my '12 and it's not a hard job. There is one brace in the dash that needs to be clearanced but other than that its a bolt in job as long as you get a PAC harness and mounting kit.

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post