Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: Parking Brake not Holding

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Parking Brake not Holding

Hay everybody so l was in my 03 2500 with a 6 speed manual yesterday when I was need to move a round bale of hay from my other truck.

I backed up to my other truck put it in neutral pressed the park brake to the floor then pushed the bale and as soon as it hit the tail gate my truck rolled away and my hay fell to the ground.

What is the best way to adjust the parking brake so it will hold my truck like it is supposed to?

I appreciate all input.

Again truck info is 2003 2500 crew cab long bed 4x4 with NV5600 6 speed 124ish thousand miles.

Thanks.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Parking Brake not Holding

I had a 01 should be the same.

Underneath the truck along the frame the break cable runs there is what looks like a turn buckle has a spring on one end of it.

Loosen cable, nuts takes two wrenches once loose turn one of the nuts closest to the cable to tighten it up few turns then hand tighten the nuts and step on e brake to test.

May take a couple of trys depending on how much your breaks are worn.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

4. Thanks 03 unicorn, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes 03 unicorn, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by timshooter40 View Post
    I had a 01 should be the same.

Underneath the truck along the frame the break cable runs there is what looks like a turn buckle has a spring on one end of it.

Loosen cable, nuts takes two wrenches once loose turn one of the nuts closest to the cable to tighten it up few turns then hand tighten the nuts and step on e brake to test.

May take a couple of trys depending on how much your breaks are worn.
    I'll have to take a look tomorrow but the rear end is different they changed in 03 to the AAM 11.5.

Thanks for the input.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Alright guys and gals I adjusted my parking brake over the weekend and all I have to say is wow I did not realize it was as bad as it was till I tightened the adjuster on the back of each hub.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 03 unicorn View Post
    Hay everybody so l was in my 03 2500 with a 6 speed manual yesterday when I was need to move a round bale of hay from my other truck.

I backed up to my other truck put it in neutral pressed the park brake to the floor then pushed the bale and as soon as it hit the tail gate my truck rolled away and my hay fell to the ground.

What is the best way to adjust the parking brake so it will hold my truck like it is supposed to?

I appreciate all input.

Again truck info is 2003 2500 crew cab long bed 4x4 with NV5600 6 speed 124ish thousand miles.

Thanks.
    Hold up on that. The 01 had drum brakes. You have rear disc. If you bring up the cable adjustment, there's a chance you'll damage the P Brake hardware. They're a different desighn and not as robust.

Behind the disc is a small set of shoes that are activated by the cable. They have a self adjuster on them and it's probably frozen. If you can get the rotor off, you can inspect the shoes. If the star wheel is stuck, take it out, a little heat, take it apart, clean and put some wheel bearing grease on the threads.. Reassemble and adjust. You know what to do. If they are really bad, get an axle kit of hardware. It will have everything you need.

Don't forget the grease up the stud hub so you'll never have to beat a rotor again. LOL

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

10. Thanks 03 unicorn, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes 03 unicorn, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Hold up on that. The 01 had drum brakes. You have rear disc. If you bring up the cable adjustment, there's a chance you'll damage the P Brake hardware. They're a different desighn and not as robust.

Behind the disc is a small set of shoes that are activated by the cable. They have a self adjuster on them and it's probably frozen. If you can get the rotor off, you can inspect the shoes. If the star wheel is stuck, take it out, a little heat, take it apart, clean and put some wheel bearing grease on the threads.. Reassemble and adjust. You know what to do. If they are really bad, get an axle kit of hardware. It will have everything you need.

Don't forget the grease up the stud hub so you'll never have to beat a rotor again. LOL
    Thanks I was able to tighten them up from behind the disc.

There was actually very minimal rust underneath for a North Carolina mountain truck and the star gear was not stuck.

The passenger side was easy but the driver side with a small enough screwdriver was not too bad.

12. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post