Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Getting Solid Check Engine Light, and Codes; Post EGR Service

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Getting Solid Check Engine Light, and Codes; Post EGR Service

OK so I just completed my 2nd 67.5K service. I did it a bit early at 127k simply because I am stuck at home.

I used Genos kit, and it went w/o incident. Had only driven it a few miles since; but I noticed it was really rough for few seconds when I first started after the service but it smoothed out after that.

Today it was a little rough at start up, and the check engine light came on solid and stayed on.

Drove it about 15 miles and noticed mileage was horrible! After about 15 miles I noticed a huge improvement in mileage and it seemed to run just fine.

I swung into O'reilleys and used their machine to check codes. The two it came up with were p046C, and p049D. I'm certain it must be something I didn't get right during the service, but it all looks corrrect. A couple of things I may have messed up.

1. When I was cleaning egr valve and runnng water through it, I grabbed the egr electronic module that goes on the end with 4 screws. I sprayed the spring end with water, and wonder if I may have got some water up in there?

2. The wire that clips in just above the throttle body control on the back side, doesn't slide in real easy. I have to push and then it makes a pop when going in. I'm wondering if one of the pins isn't ligning up correctly?

So what do you think, and how do I get light to go off?

I used the tuner to remove all codes, but light stayed on.

How do I get the light off, and what do you think made it go on in the first place?

Thanks in advance!

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Getting Solid Check Engine Light, and Codes; Post EGR Service

Quote Originally Posted by mick2268 View Post
    OK so I just completed my 2nd 67.5K service. I did it a bit early at 127k simply because I am stuck at home.

I used Genos kit, and it went w/o incident. Had only driven it a few miles since; but I noticed it was really rough for few seconds when I first started after the service but it smoothed out after that.

Today it was a little rough at start up, and the check engine light came on solid and stayed on.

Drove it about 15 miles and noticed mileage was horrible! After about 15 miles I noticed a huge improvement in mileage and it seemed to run just fine.

I swung into O'reilleys and used their machine to check codes. The two it came up with were p046C, and p049D. I'm certain it must be something I didn't get right during the service, but it all looks corrrect. A couple of things I may have messed up.

1. When I was cleaning egr valve and runnng water through it, I grabbed the egr electronic module that goes on the end with 4 screws. I sprayed the spring end with water, and wonder if I may have got some water up in there?

2. The wire that clips in just above the throttle body control on the back side, doesn't slide in real easy. I have to push and then it makes a pop when going in. I'm wondering if one of the pins isn't ligning up correctly?

How do I get the light off, and what do you think made it go on in the first place?

Thanks in advance!
    If you didn’t get all the components completely dry after cleaning before putting it back together could cause a CEL.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mick2268 View Post

Thanks in advance!
    If all connections are secure then the valve isn't operating properly or the sensor is possibly bad if I had to guess.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

5. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

OK so today I removed EGR valve motor in that this was what I sprayed with water.

I sprayed some silicone on end in hopes it would remove any water remaining.

I noticed the center metal plunger wouldn’t move by hand like it had previously.

Put it back together and it ran worse than ever!

Every now and then it seems to straighten up, but it is a dog!!

So I’m thinking I need to replace that motor on the end of the EGR valve.

Thoughts?

Is there a part # so I know I’m ordering correct one?

7. Likes watersupply189 liked this post