Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  17
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transmission deep pan

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Transmission deep pan

Just for reference, my last truck was a Dodge 1500 4x4 with the Hemi. The 545RFE (little brother to the 68RFE apparently) liked to run hot and I mean HOT. I put a PML extra deep pan (https://yourcovers.com/transpan_11039.php) and it had the fins in it. I also installed a trans temp gauge since I now had the ability to and just driving down the road it would run up to 250. If I was pulling anything it would peg the gauge but being it was a trans temp gauge, it only went to 250 so it's peg was maybe 265. I thought there must be something wrong with my gauge or sending unit but after letting it sit overnight the pan was still over 100 degrees. I had to add 2 transmission coolers to keep it stable under 220 so these pans aren't any sort of a magic bullet by any means. Having the extra fluid was a nice "safety factor" I guess since the fluid got so hot it at least help me sleep better thinking that maybe my fluid wasn't on the verge of breaking down after driving 20 miles.

My 2008 with the 68RFE has never gotten over 130 and it's all stock. I have no reason to dump nearly $300 into a pan that *might* knock 5 degrees off the fluid that's sitting in the pan, but I have a feeling it's not even sitting in the pan long enough to do anything really. It's being pumped all over the transmission while the engine is spinning the pump.

Just my $0.02

2. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by f18framer View Post
    Hello all! I had a question about the deep trans pans. I know that if you change the oil pan set up on a motor, you have to get a matching sump for that pan. now in my mind, I would think that a transmission would be no different. I know that the sump in the trans is usually the filter itself but wouldn't having a deeper pan require a extension tube or something to put the sump in the bottom of the pan? while we are talking about trans pans, what are your guys votes for what one is best? I like the BD products both the trans pans as well as the diff covers. what is everyone's thoughts? I have a 68RFE for reference.

Here is the trans pan I ordered from Amazon.

Great price point as some other big distributors sell for $280 ish. https://www.amazon.com/BD-Diesel-Per...9233348&sr=8-1

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

@f18framer I went with the PPE pan, and I'm happy with it. It's a solid, quality product with excellent fit & finish. I was doing a valve body upgrade anyway, and had read a lot of negative reviews of the drain plug kits that are on the market for the OEM pan. I pulled the trigger on the deep pan for the simplicity of having a drain plug for ease of servicing in the future, and to make sure there were no clearance issues with the thicker channel plate on the upgraded valvebody.

6. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12