Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  56
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold Air Intake Showdown!

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Cold Air Intake Showdown!

I am looking to get a new CAI for my 2012 here soon.

I have been looking for some info but have not been able to come up with anything.

I would like to hear your stories with all the intake systems that you guys have used.

If you have it I would also like to see some tangible numbers for different intake systems preferably from third party sources and not from the manufacturers.

I have been wanting a banks one for the last few years but have started to see that they only include other companies stuff if they are better than them.

I know a ton of people have used the S&B intake and am leaning tward that one.

So please let me hear your opinions, and if you have some numbers to put up please post it!

2012 RAM 2500 Crew Cab SLT 6.7L.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Cold Air Intake Showdown!

Quote Originally Posted by f18framer View Post
    I am looking to get a new CAI for my 2012 here soon.

I have been looking for some info but have not been able to come up with anything.

I would like to hear your stories with all the intake systems that you guys have used.

If you have it I would also like to see some tangible numbers for different intake systems preferably from third party sources and not from the manufacturers.

I have been wanting a banks one for the last few years but have started to see that they only include other companies stuff if they are better than them.

I know a ton of people have used the S&B intake and am leaning tward that one.

So please let me hear your opinions, and if you have some numbers to put up please post it!
    Personally the CAI already in our trucks from the factory are way better than the aftermarket ones.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Thanks Bubblehead thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, BlackBart, SyN, 12W3500, Bubblehead liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

and I have heard that too. the only thing that I could see that would hamper the airflow on the stock one is the convoluted tubing that connects things together not providing smooth airflow. however I am not to sure that it is really of to much concern as the air is also being sucked through a turbo and rammed through a intercooler on the way to the motor. I would think that it would ultimately be more important to try and smooth the air from the IC to the manifold.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Stock box is good for 600hp- remove the foam in baffling if you have it. The internals of intake help reduce turbulence to make turbo more efficient.

if you want to dress up the engine bay then that’s fine too just pick your aesthetic you like and use a dry filter

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Thanks DDP, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes DDP, watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Stock box is good for 600hp- remove the foam in baffling if you have it. The internals of intake help reduce turbulence to make turbo more efficient.

if you want to dress up the engine bay then that’s fine too just pick your aesthetic you like and use a dry filter
    I removed that baffling years ago. not sure why that tumor was in there in the first place. it is sounding more and more like the stock box is the way to go. I am more for the functionality and making that motor work as well and long as I can. I am in the process of gathering all the parts to do a grid heater relocate. seeing some of the pics that others have posted of that mess have me a bit nervous of what I am gonna find in there after running it with the EGR for 115,000 miles.

10. Likes watersupply189, BlackBart liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Everyone seems to love the S&B. But I'm still undecided. I installed it on mine and the tube that connects to the turbo I feel they cheaper out on the clamps and all. Doesnt fit super well and takes some careful maneuvering. But over all definitely makes the whistle louder

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

at least the clamps and stuff are easy to change out to better ones. but for me unless there is some tangible gains from it I don't really want to spend the money on it. I would love to make the turbo louder! anyone have any tricks t doing that besides changing the whole intake system LOL?

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by f18framer View Post
    at least the clamps and stuff are easy to change out to better ones. but for me unless there is some tangible gains from it I don't really want to spend the money on it. I would love to make the turbo louder! anyone have any tricks t doing that besides changing the whole intake system LOL?
    The best way for more whistle is replace the turbo with a fixed vane LOL or run DRD stock with whistle tune.

What is the reason for the grid heater relocation?

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

16. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I am running the S&B CAI love mine no problems none whatsoever

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    The best way for more whistle is replace the turbo with a fixed vane LOL or run DRD stock with whistle tune.

What is the reason for the grid heater relocation?
    Although I would love to replace the turbo, I am just working toward the efficiency side of things right now and getting rid of failure-prone parts.

I would need to do some studs first before I get the turbo that I really want.

I would love to do compounds someday.

2012 RAM 2500 Crew Cab SLT 6.7L.

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast