Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  56
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold Air Intake Showdown!

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Cold Air Intake Showdown!

Quote Originally Posted by f18framer View Post
    I removed that baffling years ago. not sure why that tumor was in there in the first place.

Simple.... same reason we got pilot injection. Gotta make diesels more palatable to the world’s pantywaists who might not otherwise buy one

”But Bart..... Cummins engines is so noisy and unrefined”

Kids today..!!.

When a Cummins STOPS makin noise is when ya wanna worry

Good stuff.... Truckers bring it

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Aboshan liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBart View Post

Simple.... same reason we got pilot injection. Gotta make diesels more palatable to the world’s pantywaists who might not otherwise buy one

”But Bart..... Cummins engines is so noisy and unrefined”

Kids today..!!.

When a Cummins STOPS makin noise is when ya wanna worry
    agreed. I love the sounds that a diesel makes. a lot of the time I wonder why I spent money on making my radio upgrades. half the time I just leave it of and listen to the engine do work LOL.

2012 RAM 2500 Crew Cab SLT 6.7L.

4. Likes BlackBart, watersupply189, PullinAir, SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

@f18framer Sounds like you and I are working on the same goal with our trucks - getting the most out of them efficiently.

I'm keeping the stock intake, removed the foam baffle (kept the plastic piece) awhile ago. Apparently the plastic piece smooths the air out and directs it toward the center of the turbo.

6. Likes watersupply189, SyN, AK Bob, f18framer liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PullinAir View Post
    @f18framer Sounds like you and I are working on the same goal with our trucks - getting the most out of them efficiently.

I'm keeping the stock intake, removed the foam baffle (kept the plastic piece) awhile ago. Apparently the plastic piece smooths the air out and directs it toward the center of the turbo.
    im gonna ave to look an see if they are still a thing but know about 10 years ago there was a product on the market that was like an inlet device for a jet motor that just went into the intake tube of the vehicle. it was supposed to smooth and spin the incoming air for better flow. wonder if they are still around

2012 RAM 2500 Crew Cab SLT 6.7L.

8. Likes watersupply189, PullinAir liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Personally the CAI already in our trucks from the factory are way better than the aftermarket ones.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!
    X2...... Filtration is great with the stock filter.

IMO there is not muched to be gained by changing.

I did however remove the foam surrounding the plastic air director duhikee that routes air into the turbo.

Was worried about the foam degrading over time and sucking into the turbo.

My understanding is it is only used to reduce noise.

2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab, MM3 with DRD Tune, Pusher Intake and coolant bypass, Method Race rims, Luverne Grip Steps, Kussmaul Auto Eject, Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags, Uniden Bearcat 980SS

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Stock box is good for 600hp- remove the foam in baffling if you have it. The internals of intake help reduce turbulence to make turbo more efficient.

if you want to dress up the engine bay then that’s fine too just pick your aesthetic you like and use a dry filter
    Why dry filter?

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 17cummings View Post
    Why dry filter?
    Many diesel owners prefer to buy a dry filter and just replace them when they get dirty. Other owners like to get cotton filters and wash/reuse them and apply oil to them to catch debris. I personally recommend dry filters for stock intakes and dry filters with an outerwear if you have a cold air intake. With oiled filters, sometimes sensors get gummed up and throw a CEL until cleaned. Just my opinion and experience from others.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

14. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Why dry filter?
    Joe nailed it. The oiled filters can cause issues and don’t filter better than dry ones. Depending on brand you can still wash and reuse the filter like AEM

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

15. Top Of Page | #19

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    Many diesel owners prefer to buy a dry filter and just replace them when they get dirty. Other owners like to get cotton filters and wash/reuse them and apply oil to them to catch debris. I personally recommend dry filters for stock intakes and dry filters with an outerwear if you have a cold air intake. With oiled filters, sometimes sensors get gummed up and throw a CEL until cleaned. Just my opinion and experience from others.
    I understand the sensor getting dirty but how does dry filter filter better?

The light film of oil on a filter is to capture debris and make them stick.

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

I understand the sensor getting dirty but how does dry filter filter better?

The light film of oil on a filter is to capture debris and make them stick.
    I believe this video sums it up.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...7&action=click

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

18. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, PullinAir liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast