Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  39
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: P0542

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

P0542

@Electrojake brings up a good point, you will need to have a multimeter and a basic knowledge of DC circuits to troubleshoot this issue. Looking at the electrical diagram provided in the previous attachment I would suggest starting off by testing and eliminating half of the circuit.

To do this label and remove the two small wires from the heater relay (wires K174 from terminal 85 & K974 from terminal 86 on diagram).

Insulate each wire with electrical tape. I would then attach a DC clamp on ammeter capable of measuring up to 300 amps around the wire going to the intake heater(wire A19 or A122 on diagram) Next apply battery power (+/-12VDC) to the solenoid terminals CAUTION: do not apply any voltage to the K174 or K974 wires or you will fry your PCM apply voltage to the solenoid terminals momentarily while watching the ammeter.

If the ammeter measures approximately 220 amps DC the test is compete and you know for sure the heater circuit, fusible link, heater element, and solenoid are all good. CAUTION: do not leave the solenoid energized for any longer than 30 seconds as you could burn out the heater element.

If the test was successful then this leaves the two small heater relay wires to troubleshoot by checking continuity between each wire from wire harness C2 on the PCM pins 75 to terminal 85 & pin 76 to terminal 86.

Again this is the way I would troubleshoot this issue, do not attempt if you are not comfortable or don’t understand my suggestions.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2. Likes Electrojake liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Re: P0542

When I came across this picture in the P2609 thread I was quite impressed that someone actually had a DC current clamp.

I have a feeling I could learn quite a bit from your posts.
    Just saying.

2016 Longhorn 3500, 4x4 shortbed CrewCab, Cummins HO/AISIN, 99.8% stock.
    * Hauling a 2018 Northstar Arrow-U. Scale weight 12,400 Lb.

4. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, PullinAir liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...L380/308554222

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks Electrojake thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...L380/308554222

I'm a commercial & residential HVAC Tech.

I went out to my tool bag to check my fluke clamp on ammeter and it won't do DC amps.

I can measure DC voltage.

This thread has made me realize I'm going to need more tools now that I have this truck.

LOL, I don't see that as a problem.

2010 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Big Horn 4x4, Yukon Gear & Axle YP C5-C11.5 Rear Diff Cover, A.R.E. V Series Truck Cap

8. Likes AK Bob, Electrojake, BlackBart liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PullinAir View Post
    I'm a commercial & residential HVAC Tech.

This thread has made me realize I'm going to need more tools now that I have this truck.
    LOL, I don't see that as a problem.
    100% Agreed! @PullinAir
    I've never owned a vehicle that needed this much support equipment in my life!

Laptop with diagnostic software,
    an AllData account,
    the FCA shop manual,
    and the FCA wiring diagrams,
    not to mention the tools & test equipment I already had on hand. Yikes! $$$

My first diesel truck. It was quite a reality check, especially dealing with the recalls.
    Proud to say its NEVER been to a dealership or private shop and (hopefully) never will.

As info...
    This is the Fluke DC current clamp I use:

Thanks for jumping in on the thread!
    -Jake-

10. Likes AK Bob, PullinAir, BlackBart liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post
    100% Agreed! @PullinAir

an AllData account,
    the FCA shop manual,

My first diesel truck. It was quite a reality check, especially dealing with the recalls.
    Proud to say its NEVER been to a dealership or private shop and (hopefully) never will.

As info...
    This is the Fluke DC current clamp I use:
    https://i.postimg.cc/sDZwqMwb/fluke-325-clamp-meter.jpg

Thanks for jumping in on the thread!
    -Jake-
    So far I'm doing all the maintenance on this truck, I like to learn and I can't stand paying someone to do something I can do. I have my limits though...

Not trying to hijack the thread, I'm learning about these trucks so I do a lot of reading. I intend to keep this truck for as long as possible.

2010 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Big Horn 4x4, Yukon Gear & Axle YP C5-C11.5 Rear Diff Cover, A.R.E. V Series Truck Cap

12. Likes Electrojake liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PullinAir View Post
    Not trying to hijack the thread, I'm learning about these trucks so I do a lot of reading.
    I intend to keep this truck for as long as possible.
    Until the OP (RamCummins_15) gets back you're not really hijacking the thread. Besides, this is all grid heater related stuff.
    I'm going to try and have a P0542 video posted for @RamCummins_15 by Monday evening. That will properly get us back to 'his' concerns.

In the mean time we can lean this into P2609 territory, or maybe take a look at the link below for some similar discussion...
    https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...eater-troubles

Regards,
    -Jake-

14. Likes PullinAir liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post
    100% Agreed! @PullinAir

an AllData account,
    the FCA shop manual,

Neither has mine, except for tires

Good stuff.... Truckers bring it

16. Likes PullinAir, Electrojake liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Thanks for the help again, my truck has not been deleted, for now haha. I do have a meter. I’m not a car mechanic or tech, but I am a electronic tech and was a industrial mechanic for 7 years. I work on all my stuff never take it to a dealer. Just new to emission crap on these trucks.

18. Likes Electrojake liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

And to further derail the thread (temporarily). . .
    I cant imagine the service & maintenance costs on this monster. . .

Not to mention the size of the tools required!
    -Jake-

20. Likes PullinAir liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast