Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Help please!!!

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Help please!!!

Yesterday I noticed a loud ticking noise (out of the ordinary) when I started my truck, couldn't find anything noticeably wrong so I drove it a short distance and something was definitely not right it was making almost a knocking/ clacking noise as I would accelerate.

Long story short I removed some "bad parts" in October 2019. The kit I used was good quality and had heavy duty blank off plates. The EGR cooler blank off had the set screw in the middle so the customer could add an EGT probe if desired, I think they all come like that. I made sure everything was tight during install. Never had any issues with it, I have a raceme ultra and just used the basic tune as the only reason for the delete was to get rid of the bad parts and let it run clean. I drive it like a grandpa so I have no idea why the following would happen.

After looking over the engine compartment long and hard last night I found that the set screw was no longer on the EGR Cooler blank-off when I saw a small amount of exhaust blow back on top of the plate. So now i'm in a tough spot, I already driven the truck like that, mind you it was only a short distance but I am praying that there was no way for that set screw to get sucked in the hole and hopefully only blew out......I haven't removed it yet and looked at the orientation of the hole to see if that was a possibility. Has me really freaked out as I was going over worse case scenario last night and could not sleep. It was really late by the time I found it last night and I am in the military on a base in CA without my tools right now. I will get some tools today and take it off/ inspect.

Questions- That is the exhaust side of the manifold correct? If for some God awful reason it did go into the engine worst case it would only go into the turbo? I'm not going to start the truck again until I get a new plate, I am hesitant to mod (have the hole welded shut etc.) the existing plate in case I need to go after the company that sold me the kit if something from the faulty plate dropped into the engine. They have what appears to be a 1 year warranty, they don't appear to be selling these kits anymore, maybe fall out from EPA restrictions. I plan on dealing with them later as it is clearly a part failure but in the interim I wanted to know what possible damage may have occurred?

I need to get my truck on the road again but I am literally in the desert of CA (Ridgecrest) to be exact, there aren't any Diesel parts stores around and it appears my only option is to order a new one. I don't want to mess with the old one if the company wants it back to inspect etc., I would call them direct but they are not even selling kits anymore so it's not like they can send me a replacement. Any help would be appreciated regarding worse case if something dropped in the engine in that area and options to get the truck back up if you/Vendors know a fast way to get a new blank-off. Thanks!

2. Likes Power247 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Help please!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NateB2316 View Post
    Yesterday I noticed a loud ticking noise (out of the ordinary) when I started my truck, couldn't find anything noticeably wrong so I drove it a short distance and something was definitely not right it was making almost a knocking/ clacking noise as I would accelerate.

Long story short I removed some "bad parts" in October 2019. The kit I used was good quality and had heavy duty blank off plates. The EGR cooler blank off had the set screw in the middle so the customer could add an EGT probe if desired, I think they all come like that. I made sure everything was tight during install. Never had any issues with it, I have a raceme ultra and just used the basic tune as the only reason for the delete was to get rid of the bad parts and let it run clean. I drive it like a grandpa so I have no idea why the following would happen.

After looking over the engine compartment long and hard last night I found that the set screw was no longer on the EGR Cooler blank-off when I saw a small amount of exhaust blow back on top of the plate. So now i'm in a tough spot, I already driven the truck like that, mind you it was only a short distance but I am praying that there was no way for that set screw to get sucked in the hole and hopefully only blew out......I haven't removed it yet and looked at the orientation of the hole to see if that was a possibility. Has me really freaked out as I was going over worse case scenario last night and could not sleep. It was really late by the time I found it last night and I am in the military on a base in CA without my tools right now. I will get some tools today and take it off/ inspect.

Questions- That is the exhaust side of the manifold correct? If for some God awful reason it did go into the engine worst case it would only go into the turbo? I'm not going to start the truck again until I get a new plate, I am hesitant to mod (have the hole welded shut etc.) the existing plate in case I need to go after the company that sold me the kit if something from the faulty plate dropped into the engine. They have what appears to be a 1 year warranty, they don't appear to be selling these kits anymore, maybe fall out from EPA restrictions. I plan on dealing with them later as it is clearly a part failure but in the interim I wanted to know what possible damage may have occurred?

I need to get my truck on the road again but I am literally in the desert of CA (Ridgecrest) to be exact, there aren't any Diesel parts stores around and it appears my only option is to order a new one. I don't want to mess with the old one if the company wants it back to inspect etc., I would call them direct but they are not even selling kits anymore so it's not like they can send me a replacement. Any help would be appreciated regarding worse case if something dropped in the engine in that area and options to get the truck back up if you/Vendors know a fast way to get a new blank-off. Thanks!
    Those plug screws are notorious for backing themselves out. It is a tapered hole & plug so there is no chance it got sucked into the turbo. Get a replacement threaded plug and you are good to go.

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Thank you for the response, that is a huge relief. Would I need to order that or is it something i could find elsewhere?

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Thank you for the response, that is a huge relief. Would I need to order that or is it something i could find elsewhere?
    I believe the plug is 1/4" NPT and can be found a any plumbing or big box hardware store. I can't remember the thread pitch but if you look up EGT gauge install instructions you can find it. It is a standard tap threading across all brands.

Greg
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Yep... ^^ what Greg said. It happened to me as well as others here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

7. Likes Power247 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TH-64 View Post
    Yep... ^^ what Greg said. It happened to me as well as others here.

What did you use to plug the hole? As Greg said and from what I have researched its 1/8" NTP port. My options are limited here, there is a Home Depot, no real plumbing supply stores. Any help would be much appreciated!

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

What did you use to plug the hole? As Greg said and from what I have researched its 1/8" NTP port. My options are limited here, there is a Home Depot, no real plumbing supply stores. Any help would be much appreciated!
    1/8 in. pipe plug. Home Depot is your friend.

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

10. Thanks Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, InlineSix.7 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TH-64 View Post
    1/8 in. pipe plug. Home Depot is your friend.

Life-saver!

Thanks guys!

2014 2500 Mega Cab (black); Stealth 64 Turbo; RevMax HD Valve Body; Mag Hytec Deep Pan; Mishimoto Thermal Bypass; Thuren 1" level soft ride coils; Bilstein 5100's

12. Likes Power247 liked this post