Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: DIY Ram Steering Drag Link Modification (Wheel alignment still possible)

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

DIY Ram Steering Drag Link Modification (Wheel alignment still possible)

I'm probably not the only one that thinks FCA's solution to the drag link problem was not the best.

After all, how are you going to perform wheel alignments when the drag link jam nuts are welded to the link?

An easy solution is to drill the jam nuts and use safety wire.

This solution will prevent the assembly from coming apart while your driving, and it's easy to cut and reinstall pre/post wheel alignment.

After I did the mod, I took the truck into the dealer for a wheel alignment, and the mechanic said "What's this?" I told him it was a better solution to the idiotic FCA recall. OBTW, make sure you use a new or recently shARPened drill bit.

Those nuts are made of hardened steel!

2005 2500 (sold), 2015 MEGA Cab: Line-x bed liner, Retrax Cover, Amp Research Power Bars, Double R Diesel (MM3) programmer; Banks Monster Ram, Banks CAI, Sound System upgrade; JBL Coax in the dash, Kicker component system in the front doors, Pioneer quads in the rear doors, Cerwin Vega Pancake Sub. Hammer Head rear bumper w/ Rigid lights

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, CzechRooster liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: DIY Ram Steering Drag Link Modification (Wheel alignment still possible)

Good idea!

I’m a big fan of safety wire too.

Once you have the tool and the wire you can find all kind of uses for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

That’s a great idea! I used heavy duty lock tight and paint marked the nuts.

It’s been over a year and everything is still tight.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

6. Likes CzechRooster liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

I just bought synergy steering linkage.

Problem solved.

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Second the Synergy drag link.

After removing the welds and locktiting and adjusting over and over again.

After my lift I realized the $300 was a steal compared to the constant headache, but I like the ingenuity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 2500 Laramie, Pearl White, 3" Pure Performance coils, Fox 2.0 shocks, Synergy drag link, SB intake, MM3 stock tuner

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post