Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downshifting and Using Exhaust Brake

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Downshifting and Using Exhaust Brake

These 68RFE's are built for the 6.7L and supposed to take it.

My question is:

Will it hurt the trans if I'm downshifting and using the exhaust brake while empty?

I do it quite often.

Thanks

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Downshifting and Using Exhaust Brake

No sir it won’t hurt the transmission to do that. Most folks recommend using the EB frequently in order to prevent the vanes in the turbo from sticking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

4. Thanks Mdavlee thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by InlineSix.7 View Post
    No sir it won’t hurt the transmission to do that. Most folks recommend using the EB frequently in order to prevent the vanes in the turbo from sticking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    X2.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

X3

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

7. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by timf9610 View Post
    These 68RFE's are built for the 6.7L and supposed to take it.

My question is:

Will it hurt the trans if I'm downshifting and using the exhaust brake while empty?

I do it quite often.

Thanks
    I do it with my manual... certainly shouldnt hurt yer automatic.

Good stuff.... Truckers bring it

9. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

X3 I use my exhaust brake all the time no problems whatsoever.

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I keep my EB in automatic 100% of the time.

I like the added braking and i think it sounds cool.

2016 Ram 2500 Mega Cab - 68RFE - Carli 2.5" level coils - Carli radius arm drops - Carli 1" rear coils w/ RC 1" rear spacers - 17x8.5 0mm Method Mesh - 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T - AAM 4.10 gears - Airlift 5000 bags - Airlift Wireless OBO - PacBrake Oil Filter Relocator

12. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Last week I installed the protect gasket and plate kit and installed thermal bypass, My truck is deleted with delete tune but no tranny tuning. I always drive with exhaust brake on. Now when it downshifts from 5th to 4th it bangs hard, as in if the street is wet it skids the wheels!! I reloaded my delete tune which also sets the tranny back to default so Im hoping it will eventually relearn and soften up a bit?

2015 Ram 2500 Laramie, full delete, 4.88 gears, 40" Milestar Patagonia on Method wheels AEV 3" dual sport suspension, Thuren softride coils King Shocks with resi's

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

No. You should leave your exhaust brake on automatic every time you drive. Not using the exhaust brake for extended periods of time will cause the VGT vanes to get carbon fouled and the VGT will cease to function. I daily drive with my EB on and I've done so for the last 9000 miles on my 2019, and I did so for 33,xxx miles on my 4th gen without issue.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

16. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 57buick View Post
    Last week I installed the protect gasket and plate kit and installed thermal bypass, My truck is deleted with delete tune but no tranny tuning. I always drive with exhaust brake on. Now when it downshifts from 5th to 4th it bangs hard, as in if the street is wet it skids the wheels!! I reloaded my delete tune which also sets the tranny back to default so Im hoping it will eventually relearn and soften up a bit?
    All downshifts with the EB on will be hard. Don't worry about it. Soft, slushy, flared shifting of any kind is what will kill your transmission. Hard shifts won't hurt anything. Also the 5-4 downshift is notoriously hard because you're shifting from overdrive to direct drive.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

18. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast