Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  23
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Downshifting and Using Exhaust Brake

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Downshifting and Using Exhaust Brake

It was never that hard until I upgraded the valve body with the plate kit. So your saying Im just feeling the upgrade I did? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    All downshifts with the EB on will be hard. Don't worry about it. Soft, slushy, flared shifting of any kind is what will kill your transmission. Hard shifts won't hurt anything. Also the 5-4 downshift is notoriously hard because you're shifting from overdrive to direct drive.

2015 Ram 2500 Laramie, full delete, 4.88 gears, 40" Milestar Patagonia on Method wheels AEV 3" dual sport suspension, Thuren softride coils King Shocks with resi's

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 57buick View Post
    It was never that hard until I upgraded the valve body with the plate kit. So your saying Im just feeling the upgrade I did? LOL
    Oh if you did a valve body upgrade you're definitely going to have harder shifts than a stock body. Definitely nothing out of the norm there. Even on a stock body though, 5-4 is a hard shift. Overdrive to direct drive is a big factor, but you've also got TQ lock up playing into that amongst a few other variables. It's unlikely you will see that shift get exponentially softer with drive time, once the CVI is learned, it may get MILDLY softer, but I wouldn't expect it.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Thats a little scary then. Ill have to be careful and see how it goes because like I said it makes the tires skid everytime it downshifts to 4th now if the pavement is wet. Worried im gonna slide and lose control one of these days.

Oh if you did a valve body upgrade you're definitely going to have harder shifts than a stock body. Definitely nothing out of the norm there. Even on a stock body though, 5-4 is a hard shift. Overdrive to direct drive is a big factor, but you've also got TQ lock up playing into that amongst a few other variables. It's unlikely you will see that shift get exponentially softer with drive time, once the CVI is learned, it may get MILDLY softer, but I wouldn't expect it.

2015 Ram 2500 Laramie, full delete, 4.88 gears, 40" Milestar Patagonia on Method wheels AEV 3" dual sport suspension, Thuren softride coils King Shocks with resi's

5. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Thats a little scary then. Ill have to be careful and see how it goes because like I said it makes the tires skid everytime it downshifts to 4th now if the pavement is wet. Worried im gonna slide and lose control one of these days.
    I mean, thats like dropping gears in a manual and popping the clutch, the back end is gonna get loose. It sounds like you're downshifting while in lock up, so you're essentially shift locking the rear end...great for drifting, not great for daily driving. Who did your tuning?

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

6. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

I have delete tune from PPEI but like I said I do not have tranny tuning. They claim you cant load a ECM tune without loading the tranny tune along with it so since I did not purchase tranny tuning at the time everytime I reload my ECM tuning it reloads the stock default tranny tuning.

I mean, thats like dropping gears in a manual and popping the clutch, the back end is gonna get loose. It sounds like you're downshifting while in lock up, so you're essentially shift locking the rear end...great for drifting, not great for daily driving. Who did your tuning?

7. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

I have delete tune from PPEI but like I said I do not have tranny tuning. They claim you cant load a ECM tune without loading the tranny tune along with it so since I did not purchase tranny tuning at the time everytime I reload my ECM tuning it reloads the stock default tranny tuning.
    I would HIGHLY suggest you invest in transmission tuning. Not just for drivability, but also for longevity. Especially since you have a valve body on yours. That also explains why youre experiencing what you are.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

8. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Unfortunately PPEI has stopped doing delete tuning so it looks like I will have to buy a whole new delete package from here with a MM3 tuner and start over. $1000 tuning down the drain. The PPEI tune was with an autocal efilive tuner

I would HIGHLY suggest you invest in transmission tuning. Not just for drivability, but also for longevity. Especially since you have a valve body on yours. That also explains why youre experiencing what you are.

9. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Unfortunately PPEI has stopped doing delete tuning so it looks like I will have to buy a whole new delete package from here with a MM3 tuner and start over. $1000 tuning down the drain
    Since we are in the public section of this forum, I can't make any suggestions or implications. PM me.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

10. Likes AK Bob liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12