Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 68RFE Rebuild Time

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

68RFE Rebuild Time

If I was to attempt to rebuild my 68RFE myself what parts should I look at purchasing to do it.

Just curious?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 68RFE Rebuild Time

I have heard that even for those familiar with rebuilding automatic transmissions that the 68’s can be tricky.

I know that Revmax sells nice rebuild kits with everything included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerDave View Post
    If I was to attempt to rebuild my 68RFE myself what parts should I look at purchasing to do it.

Just curious?
    I'll shoot you a PM but I would recommend the RevMax 68RFE High Performance rebuild kit.

This high quality RevMax kit consists of the following components PLUS all of the gaskets, o-rings, seals sealing rings and small parts required to completely overhaul your transmission properly:

14 High Performance Clutches OD
    12 High Performance Clutches UD
    Custom UD Pressure Plate
    Custom OD Pressure Plate
    5 Clutch C2 and Steels
    Billet C2 Clutch Piston
    4 Clutch C4 and Steels
    Custom C4 Pressure Plate
    High Performance Low Reverse Clutches and Steels
    Billet Spin On Filter Screw

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

DON'T DO IT DAVE

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    DON'T DO IT DAVE
    Are you saying no to the RevMax kit or no to Dave doing it on his own?..

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    Are you saying no to the RevMax kit or no to Dave doing it on his own?..
    Dave's on a limited budget so the Rev is out.

He has P0740 code which is Converter related.

It's only overheating at high speed.

I initially though cooler but not in that scenario.

The code implies relay or converter issues.

My money is on electrical externally.

The truck is an 09, and there have been plug issues in the past.

Because of his budget, we decided to change the solenoid pack, and fluid.

That will give him a clue as to the trans condition.

Dave and I go back 10 years. We have a plan. Besides, I would rather take this slow and easy.

For all we know, the filter may be plugged. If the trans were tight, the temp would be below engine temps in highway conditions.

He's going to look at the external electrics first.

RIGHT DAVE?

No to @DiggerDave doing it.

That turkey thinks you twist the truck to take a screw out. LOL

I've done a couple of dozen 48RE class transmissions. (727, 904, 999, 518) I have all the tools needed and some.

Even I wouldn't touch the 68. I've seen them apart.

There's allot of tolerances to consider.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

It always depends on what you are going to do with hp and torque!

What tires and what gears are in axles 3:42 is great for an extra mpg.. but with lift kit and larger tires the double od in 6 wreak havoc on trans !you need scan tool to check clutch volume index .. then you can see what packs are worn or cooked .. for parts just for small towing tune if your doing it yourself .. VB needs DNJ plate,Revmax anodized accumulators, a good end plate with tap n screws for accumulators, a sonnax solenoid rebuild kit with block.. then you might need reamers or access to them for worn valves ??*??Transgo shift kit.

then a good rebuild kit, either alto g3 or gpz with seal kit..triple disc converter with a new billet flexplate, billet input,sonnax drum, and roller clutch .. I would say if doing it yourself and saving cash I would look into Revmax 2c4c just to avoid snap ring issue especially with trans tune above 200 psi a rev max drum is nice but spendy but worth it comes with clutches and clearances set up.. I love the anodized 700.. the Also have billet od hub Very nice.. you’ll need a astc manual.. and look at Revmax drum On their site for clearance checking using dial guage and Front pump or air on clutch pack or feeler guage after all assembled you might have nicked a seal.. but will know and be able to fix before assembly you Double check these after complete assembly front pump needs checking for valve wear..And spring upgrade sonnax for line pressure and both pump and VB usually need to be flat sanding and you might need to drill seperator plate in VB for line pressure boost the DNJ plate has screw you can remove.. it’s all doable .. might need bushings if high mileage more if carnage from busted input or busted sprag, very common od is cooked sometimes ita more the most important is cleaning and clearances the more clutches the more clearance! At least .003 per clutch I usually add up stack then add 10 or 15 checking tolerance in manual it’s crucial even with sonnax drum you have to check and set same with end play there are shims that you can change.. but I would not be scared if you have shop close for parts.. and you should have acess to a welder for pins on one planetary just a good wire feed tack so they don’t walk .. not a clearance issue you can tig if you wish!! Then after install you need to check cvi and break in on a relearn reset,, mostly around town as 123 are same clutches in 456 look up relearn and do research call guys at rev max ,and others look on you tube for videos !! If you need help it’s out there and you can build a very stout trans for less than 5k and a lot less if not going crazy on hp ! A lot of times a rebuilt valve body can prevent clutch failure!! If it hasn’t happened Yet!! Cross leaks and valve mods with end plate prevents catastrophe!! Higher pressure helps grab clutches!! And VB is easy to do at home in driveway if necessary !! And don’t forget to replace plastic nipple for filter with metal one!??????that’s just DNJ plate Transgo kit.. that upgrades phenolithic accumulators .. Revmax accumulators can be added.. and you can rebuild solenoid at same time lots of options!! Scan first to find real issue is the cheapest route!! Don’t guess!!

Last edited by Givmiabrke; 03-26-2020 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Left out some info

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Well after a ton of research it may be my oil pump.

There's a TCC lockup switch valve on the pump that a small spring normally breaks and then the bore washes out by hyd pressure.

There is no fix or replacement bore out kit for it so I'd have to get a new pump.

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

But before I rip n tear that part out I'm doing the service,valve body and sol pack to see what that does.

diggerdave's rig...name bluedemon 2 2008 6.7 cummins

-bilstein 5100's all 5 shocks-fully deleted-greg weld ballistic rims w/35" nitto trail grappler shoes-7" canon stacks miters-H&S tuned -afe cai-iron cross front and rear bumper-buncha bd diesel parts

10. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

If you give us info on your issue we may be able to help.

At the start of the thread it was a broad ask.

What’s going on with the truck?

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast