Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AC Trouble

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

AC Trouble

• I tried to turn on my AC the other day after it being off most of the winter, with no success to the clutch engaging. I tried jumping the coil with direct 12v and it didn't engage. I thought I had found the problem but didn't have time to take it apart. I took it to a shop and they came back with my TIPM was bad and not engaging the clutch. I had a trip to Texas from Colorado, So i didn't have time to see if that was it.
    • Upon returning from Texas, I installed a new AC compressor and made sure the coil engaged before installing it. Took it to get recharged and was told the compressor wasn't engaging. Ordered a rebuilt TIPM and hard reset the truck but that didn't change any of the AC behavior, so that doesn't seem to be the issue either.
    • I decided to check for any codes and I had P0533 A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor Circuit High Input and P2509 ECM/PCM Power Input Signal Intermittent. I tried clearing but they instantly came back.
    • Focusing on the P0533, Which would say it's either high or low on R134 or pressure sensor issue. Only one pressure transducer on a 2011 if I'm not mistaken, on the low side? Today I got a AC manifold gauge set to check the AC pressure without the truck running and it was sitting at 35 PSI both low and high side. Is this normal? It's about 45 degrees outside currently. To me and my little AC knowledge, this seems low for it not running.
    • Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated, not having AC is getting old. Thank you!

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: AC Trouble

I'm no expert on AC by any stretch of the imagination, but if I'm not mistaken, the compressor wont engage if you dont have a certain amount of refrigerant in the system.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2011 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 68RFE

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
    I'm no expert on AC by any stretch of the imagination, but if I'm not mistaken, the compressor wont engage if you dont have a certain amount of refrigerant in the system.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Right, I just don't know at what pressure the computer wants to see before it'll engage the compressor clutch.

Because I think 35 PSI is too low for it to engage but I'm not sure.

I can jump the compressor for a moment and see what the pressures drops down to if I have too but would rather have some numbers to work with first.

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I wish I had more specific info for you, but I work on mostly CAT stuff.

If one of the pressure switches is bad it won't allow the clutch to operate.

There is usually always a high side and low side s/w, have you checked them?

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I had an alike problem on my 3500.

Changed tipm and ac pump and it eventually resolved itself down to wires from the tipm to the pump.

Could have been the connectors or such.

I didn't do the work dodge stealership did.

Bet it sure made them scratch their heads a few times, maybe they learned something too.

Hated to pay for throwing good parts after good ones though.

Marty

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

My .02 would be call who just charged it and see what spec they charged the system to.

If it is higher than what you’re measuring then you have a leak and know to chase a leak/add Freon to start.

If it matches then you need to follow the electrical components.

Keep us posted

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I just can't believe he is running A/C, it snowed 6" yesterday.

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I ran it last week here in NC LOL.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wy4x4 View Post
    I wish I had more specific info for you, but I work on mostly CAT stuff.

If one of the pressure switches is bad it won't allow the clutch to operate.

There is usually always a high side and low side s/w, have you checked them?
    I figured it out. Pressure switch was good and TIPM was good. Turned out to be a bad ground to the ECM. We all know how any weird electrical problem, can cause all sorts of things happening haha.

10. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    My .02 would be call who just charged it and see what spec they charged the system to.

If it is higher than what you’re measuring then you have a leak and know to chase a leak/add Freon to start.

If it matches then you need to follow the electrical components.

Keep us posted
    I took it to a brakes plus (i know) to get it recharged but it doesn't seem to me that they really charged it. With just taking gauges off, it lowered it quite a bit LOL.
    I ended up putting in another 14 oz and just checked pressures as I went. When running the low side still gets down to 22-23 PSI on a 65 degree day, before it cycles off.

I'll probably end up taking it to another shop, now that the compressor runs and have it checked and adjusted.

Turned out to be a bad ground to the ECM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast