Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  35
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Truck Cabover Camper Do You Run?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Which Truck Cabover Camper Do You Run?

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnthrope View Post
    By 'crawler' I assume you mean a rock crawler? We don't have them in South Florida. No rocks to crawl around on.

And is it that big? Big enough that you need to attach a trailer to the back of a loaded down 2500 with a top-heavy camper in it?

I am in no way, shape or form tolerant of the 'weight police'. No how. They remind me of the people that stand at the Express Lane at the Supermarket and tell you that you've got one too many items in your cart. Small-minded, small people.

But that sounds -- Uncool, to me. Unless you're talking about towing maybe a 1,000lbs or less. But I suspect it's a lot higher than that.

The actual axle in a 2500 has about the same weight capacity as in a 3500, IIRC. Some difference, but not enough to get excited about. I mean according to the people that make them, AAM.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2018/0...0s-differ.html

So that's somewhere to start off -- By dispelling myths.

As to keeping the trailer somewhere, yeah, that can be a problem. Find a friend or pay to keep it stored somewhere. Yeah, I know it's easy for me to spend your money. I'm good at that.

The cost in Kaliphoney? Problem. If it were me, I'd drive to Ohio (THE best plce to buy new ones) and pull it back. You said you're from Upstate New Yawk, right? Make it coincide with a vacation.

The crawler?? How big is that thing? My garage is 10 feet long and almost 8 feet wide. Even if you subtract the irrelevant space the wheel wells take up near the front of the garage..... It's gotta be near 7-1/2 feet wide. If your crawler is wider than that... Here's mine.......

Attachment 10416

Holy Smokes!

I was looking for a pic to send you and I found my identical twin (2016 XLR HyperLyte) in Kalifoney for $37k.....!!! Holy Sheep Dip!

You can buy brand spanking new in Ohio for much less than that.

In the Midwest, you should be able to buy mine for $18k or less. If it was for sale. It's not.

A long trip but a lot of people, a LOT of people (REALLY a lot of people) make the trip.

I could tell you where I bought mine but I don't know how the Forum Rules work with that.

Just get on RVTrader and start looking. The price differences are amazing.

And remember something, I always tell people because I was told this by other campers....... Buy your 2nd RV first.

Whatever you do, good luck.
    MrAnthrope,

I have a 1984 Xtra Cab pickup on 35's, locked front and rear, Dual cases. Which eventually will be getting one tons and most likely 37's or 40's, low and slow is the plan. But currently i'm at 6.5' wide and a tad over 12' from front bumper to rear bumper, i'm sitting at about 80" tall right now but this week i'm taking out the 2" body lift.

I'm from Upstate NY orginally but I'm currently working out of Central California, butttttt I do try to drive home at least once a year. Last June I brought back a family member a MINT 1983 Toyota pickup (all orginal, except the dam front bumper,) so I may have to keep my eyes peeled before I shoot home and just drag one back that way. I know the east coast is by far cheaper but I know one or two of the manufactures are up in the PNW.

I debated on doing what Crshanta did, 25' Gooseneck and Mount the Cabover over the neck (which would sit up on a mounting box, providing easier access to tanks/sewer line) but would also provide some room for storage boxes under the camper.

Rabbit

2017 2500 Red Tradesman on 35" Treadwright Guard-dogs mounted on 17' Method NV HD's, 2.5" Leveling kit with upgraded Bil's all the way around, AMP'd Research Steps, Ez-Lynk/5" Turbo back, Billet Grille, Blacked out Headlight Housings with added LED outer shroud, B&W Gooseneck Turn-over ball. Much Much more to come..

"If one day the speed kills me, don't be sad because I will have died smiling," - Paul Walker

2. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Rabbit,

If your are going to take the Frankenstein approach, get a TC that does not drop down in the rear.

That way it can be lowered by 8-10” from mine.

I did have to re-route the sewer discharge to keep my overall height to less than 13’.

The other trouble spot is getting the camper on the trailer.

I build spreader bars that use both camper jack mounting points to lift it and then back the trailer under it.

The trick was getting the bars long enough to span the trailer wheels and keep bending to a minimum.

I also am debating putting wheels on the fixture so, I can winch it on and off the trailer instead of using the jacks.

Nothing like the first time having 3000lbs 4ft in the air and backing a trailer under it with a couple of inches to spare on each side.

2018 srw 3500

4. Likes watersupply189, Rabbit liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crshanta View Post
    Rabbit,

If your are going to take the Frankenstein approach, get a TC that does not drop down in the rear.

That way it can be lowered by 8-10” from mine.

I did have to re-route the sewer discharge to keep my overall height to less than 13’.

The other trouble spot is getting the camper on the trailer.

I build spreader bars that use both camper jack mounting points to lift it and then back the trailer under it.

The trick was getting the bars long enough to span the trailer wheels and keep bending to a minimum.

I also am debating putting wheels on the fixture so, I can winch it on and off the trailer instead of using the jacks.

Nothing like the first time having 3000lbs 4ft in the air and backing a trailer under it with a couple of inches to spare on each side.
    Crshanta,

I'll keep that in mind, I was looking into that quite a bit and a lot of guys suggested that I try to get one without the back drop to save me from over 13'.

I figured I would fabricate some swing out jacks that are reinforced in the corners (kind of how Arctic Fox has their new setup but mine would swing)

I know a lot of guys on the west coast build them but never actually use them for the potential, i'd be using mine quite a bit with the crawler but if I didn't take it.

That's just a back porch then.

Rabbit

2017 2500 Red Tradesman on 35" Treadwright Guard-dogs mounted on 17' Method NV HD's, 2.5" Leveling kit with upgraded Bil's all the way around, AMP'd Research Steps, Ez-Lynk/5" Turbo back, Billet Grille, Blacked out Headlight Housings with added LED outer shroud, B&W Gooseneck Turn-over ball. Much Much more to come..

"If one day the speed kills me, don't be sad because I will have died smiling," - Paul Walker

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Rabbit,

I would reconsider going swing out jacks mounted directly to the camper frame. I did a couple of models and stress calculations and determined that it put to much stress on to the wood frame for me to be comfortable. I was just in there repairing rot and 1x1.5 stapled together gave me time to pause and reconsider. I seen the ones you are referencing and considered it.

As a result I used two 2x2 in parallel across the front and rear 13” apart. Then enclosed the ends that extended past the camper mounting points to remount the jacks to. The next jack design is either going to mount to the cradle or as previously stated have wheels to be winched on.

Weather is starting to get decent again to be messing round with this project again, plus I have a need to use the gooseneck at full length. I may cheat and just use a pair of forklifts after work.

The fixture is the same 2x2x.125, spaced at 24” with a center vertical supports and decking is 1x6’s. We used it as a porch most of last year and put on about 8k, traveling between Pa and Ca. Was going to bring back a square body chevy cab and bed back from Cali, but the old truck decided it wanted to stay in out west and got the cummins instead of old truck parts.

Here is a good read. You can see the braces used in this application are starting to deflect.https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/...mping-machine/

2018 srw 3500

8. Likes watersupply189, Rabbit liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Hey Guys/Gals,
    I've been researching Truck Cabover campers since I've bought my truck (2017 Tradesman 2.5 leveling kit on 35's with Airbags in the rear).
    I have looked at probably over a 100 different brands, models, floor plans, etc....
    The only factors I have to take into order are I have a Short bed and No slide-out (personal preference) soooooo...
    Lemme see what you guys are running and give me some specs and everything about it.
    Rabbit
    Greetings Rabbit,

The truck is a 2016 Longhorn 3500 short bed SRW.
    The camper is a 2017 Northstar Arrow-U.
    My scale weight is 12,280 pounds "wet".
    The truck is registered at 12,300 Lb. (so I'm close but not over).
    23,000 miles with no issues, plenty of winter camping too.

Camper on the truck. . .

Camper off the truck. . .

So there it is, a shot bed camper with no slides on a short bed truck.

Keep us posted and let us know what you decide to buy.
    -Jake-

2016 Longhorn 3500, 4x4 shortbed CrewCab, Cummins HO/AISIN, 99.8% stock.
    * Hauling a 2018 Northstar Arrow-U. Scale weight 12,400 Lb.

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, DieselDingus, Rabbit, SyN liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Northern lite, and some Bigfoot models are 2 pieces clam shell design, but they're all over 2000# dry weight.

The beauty of a truck camper is you can take it places where no camping trailer will go. If you're planning to stay on the pavement all the time, a trailer makes more sense.

But a lot of folks also get TC for the exact reason you mentioned - they want to pull a trailer behind.

That's the route I'm going too and those are the truck campers I'm looking at (Northern Lite and Bigfoot), except my truck is 3500 with nearly 4000# of payload.

If you want to stay under GVWR or near it, you'll be limited to a pop-up style - they can be had in 1100-1300# range and they have an advantage - low center of gravity (lower than any hardwall camper).

Then your trailer tongue will probably add 400-500# (guessing) so loaded with everything plus your wife and dogs you aren't going to be horribly overweight.

12. Thanks SyN thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN, Electrojake, Rabbit liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12