Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  35
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Truck Cabover Camper Do You Run?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Which Truck Cabover Camper Do You Run?

Hey Guys/Gals,

I've been researching Truck Cabover campers since I've bought my truck (2017 Tradesman 2.5 leveling kit on 35's with Airbags in the rear).

I have looked at probably over a 100 different brands, models, floor plans, etc....

The only factors I have to take into order are I have a Short bed and No slide-out (personal preference) soooooo...

Lemme see what you guys are running and give me some specs and everything about it.

Rabbit

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Which Truck Cabover Camper Do You Run?

Rabbit,

Your are going to be limited with a 2500, probably not going to want to get one that weights more than 1600lbs. That way you can put your gear in and go. Sunlite comes to mind or a pop up type. Might be a good time to buy an rv with everything tanking

I have an older Lance 1030. Keep in mind they all had leaks and will require some repair. When replacing the current one, going to be looking for one with a wet bath and fiberglass clam shell or the shortest fifth wheel I can find. Older ones are almost all wood construction and like to rot (at least in pa). I have repair both wings, bed area over cab and area over the bed rails.

Mine is 2300lbs. With gear, camper, four of us set for a couple day trip, check in at +3500lbs of cargo.

I like happijac tie down system instead of torklift. Main reason is happijac had tabs in the bed for “locking” the camper into the bed.

2018 srw 3500

4. Thanks watersupply189, Rabbit thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Rabbit liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

@Crshanta,

I was looking at some newer ones but dear lord they want more than what I paid for my truck.

I may try to get a little bit older one and try to update the interior with what I can.

I know it'll just be me and my ole lady plus 3 dogs.

Plus a majority of the time I'll most likely be towing my crawler (84 Toyota) behind me which isn't ungodly weight, with the gear and everything I think it'll put me right at my limit or very close too it.

I was looking at some older lance campers that had wet bath and no slide, but I couldn't find any specs on them for CG or limitations.

Rabbit

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Rabbit,

If you haven't checkout some of the southern Oregon and Coastal craigslist and RV/Camping shops on the Web.

Everytime I have looked for myself or helping friends the prices here were tons better than California area.

I suggest you look at some used ones.

There are folks out there that take care of their campers that are selling.

The last one I had was a Lance and it was in my 02 long bed, Air bags. there are lots of good priced used hitch pulls RV up here too.

Not sure what brand of leveling kit you have but do you have the factory rear coils? factory sway bar? rear trac-bar etc.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

8. Thanks Rabbit thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Rabbit liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    @Crshanta,

I was looking at some newer ones but dear lord they want more than what I paid for my truck.

I may try to get a little bit older one and try to update the interior with what I can.

Plus a majority of the time I'll most likely be towing my crawler (84 Toyota) behind me which isn't ungodly weight, with the gear and everything I think it'll put me right at my limit or very close too it.

I was looking at some older lance campers that had wet bath and no slide, but I couldn't find any specs on them for CG or limitations.

Rabbit
    I have a Northstar liberty that goes in the back of my 17 2500.

A few words of caution, it will get cramped quickly with two people and dogs!

Also I wouldn't tow anything behind you with the camper as you quickly run out of payload on a 2500.

The liberty I have weighs 1700, by the time we load all of our stuff (and people also count as payload) I bet we are over the recommended payload.

But just stay within the ratings of your axles and wheels/tires and you should be good.

10. Thanks Rabbit thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Rabbit, MrAnthrope liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

@Crshanta,

Rabbit
    Please see post #207.

https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...ers-Behind-Ya/

Created it when I had a 08 dmax 2500 to make room for a crawler, sxs or bikes.

Have 13’ of deck behind the camper.

I looked for about four months to find one a camper in my budget and not too far from home.

Where are you from?

2018 srw 3500

12. Likes watersupply189, Rabbit liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crshanta View Post
    Please see post #207.

https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...ers-Behind-Ya/

Created it when I had a 08 dmax 2500 to make room for a crawler, sxs or bikes.

Have 13’ of deck behind the camper.

I looked for about four months to find one a camper in my budget and not too far from home.

Where are you from?
    I'm orginally from Upstate NY, I left back in 2013 for the Navy and I've been stuck out in Cali/traveling the world till this past January when I got out.

I'd like to get a Camper so I can go on weekend trips up to the PNW and take the crawler with me but that's also if I'm within limits.

Rabbit

2017 2500 Red Tradesman on 35" Treadwright Guard-dogs mounted on 17' Method NV HD's, 2.5" Leveling kit with upgraded Bil's all the way around, AMP'd Research Steps, Ez-Lynk/5" Turbo back, Billet Grille, Blacked out Headlight Housings with added LED outer shroud, B&W Gooseneck Turn-over ball. Much Much more to come..

"If one day the speed kills me, don't be sad because I will have died smiling," - Paul Walker

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I'm orginally from Upstate NY, I left back in 2013 for the Navy and I've been stuck out in Cali/traveling the world till this past January when I got out.

I'd like to get a Camper so I can go on weekend trips up to the PNW and take the crawler with me but that's also if I'm within limits.

Rabbit
    What's wrong with buying a toy hauler pull-behind?

I just don't get the fascination with campers, especially for the cost. Don't really care for them. I'd rather live in a submarine; they have more space. And their screen doors are more useful.

But that's me. And nobody cares what I think. Except my dog. And that's only when I have a piece of bacon in my hand.

16. Likes watersupply189, Rabbit, Shurup liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnthrope View Post
    What's wrong with buying a toy hauler pull-behind?

I just don't get the fascination with campers, especially for the cost. Don't really care for them. I'd rather live in a submarine; they have more space. And their screen doors are more useful.

But that's me. And nobody cares what I think. Except my dog. And that's only when I have a piece of bacon in my hand.
    MrAnthrope,

Unfortunately, I don't have a place to put that right now but also with that being said I can't put my crawler in a toy hauler, like absolutely no where close to fitting in those doors.

Unless I went one ton axles with 3 and 4 link front and rear...

But in all reality I have been looking at a few Toy haulers, down side is I refuse to buy one in Cali.

The taxes/going rate for what people want for them out here is ungodly.

I'm looking at buying in the PNW for a camper.

Rabbit

2017 2500 Red Tradesman on 35" Treadwright Guard-dogs mounted on 17' Method NV HD's, 2.5" Leveling kit with upgraded Bil's all the way around, AMP'd Research Steps, Ez-Lynk/5" Turbo back, Billet Grille, Blacked out Headlight Housings with added LED outer shroud, B&W Gooseneck Turn-over ball. Much Much more to come..

"If one day the speed kills me, don't be sad because I will have died smiling," - Paul Walker

18. Likes watersupply189, MrAnthrope liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

MrAnthrope,

Unfortunately, I don't have a place to put that right now but also with that being said I can't put my crawler in a toy hauler, like absolutely no where close to fitting in those doors.

Unless I went one ton axles with 3 and 4 link front and rear...

But in all reality I have been looking at a few Toy haulers, down side is I refuse to buy one in Cali.

The taxes/going rate for what people want for them out here is ungodly.

I'm looking at buying in the PNW for a camper.

Rabbit
    By 'crawler' I assume you mean a rock crawler? We don't have them in South Florida. No rocks to crawl around on.

And is it that big? Big enough that you need to attach a trailer to the back of a loaded down 2500 with a top-heavy camper in it?

I am in no way, shape or form tolerant of the 'weight police'. No how. They remind me of the people that stand at the Express Lane at the Supermarket and tell you that you've got one too many items in your cart. Small-minded, small people.

But that sounds -- Uncool, to me. Unless you're talking about towing maybe a 1,000lbs or less. But I suspect it's a lot higher than that.

The actual axle in a 2500 has about the same weight capacity as in a 3500, IIRC. Some difference, but not enough to get excited about. I mean according to the people that make them, AAM.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2018/0...0s-differ.html
    The 2018 Ram 2500 and 3500 single-rear-wheel pickups have the same maximum GCWR rating of 25,300 pounds;
    So that's somewhere to start off -- By dispelling myths.

As to keeping the trailer somewhere, yeah, that can be a problem. Find a friend or pay to keep it stored somewhere. Yeah, I know it's easy for me to spend your money. I'm good at that.

The cost in Kaliphoney? Problem. If it were me, I'd drive to Ohio (THE best plce to buy new ones) and pull it back. You said you're from Upstate New Yawk, right? Make it coincide with a vacation.

The crawler?? How big is that thing? My garage is 10 feet long and almost 8 feet wide. Even if you subtract the irrelevant space the wheel wells take up near the front of the garage..... It's gotta be near 7-1/2 feet wide. If your crawler is wider than that... Here's mine.......

Holy Smokes!

I was looking for a pic to send you and I found my identical twin (2016 XLR HyperLyte) in Kalifoney for $37k.....!!! Holy Sheep Dip!

You can buy brand spanking new in Ohio for much less than that.

In the Midwest, you should be able to buy mine for $18k or less. If it was for sale. It's not.

A long trip but a lot of people, a LOT of people (REALLY a lot of people) make the trip.

I could tell you where I bought mine but I don't know how the Forum Rules work with that.

Just get on RVTrader and start looking. The price differences are amazing.

And remember something, I always tell people because I was told this by other campers....... Buy your 2nd RV first.

Whatever you do, good luck.

20. Likes watersupply189, Rabbit liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast