Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  16

Thread: Remove Hitch Adapter Sleeve

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Remove Hitch Adapter Sleeve

I’m trying to remove a 2.5” to 2” hitch adapter sleeve from my hitch.

It looks like it may have come from the factory on my 2013 RAM 2500, but it seems to be rusted in place.

I’ve been spraying it with PB Blaster a few times a day for a couple days from the front and back.

I hit it with a cold chisel and a small sledge hammer from the back by the spare tire, but the thing won’t budge.

I’m considering putting a little heat to it and maybe finding a socket that will fit up against the sleeve to pound on it with more even pressure.

Anybody have any experience with something like this or any wisdom to share?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

You could cut a pin or bolt just long enough to catch the inner sleeve and insert it into place with the hitch ball upside down.

Then take a sledge hammer and wail the hell out of it against the ball from underneath.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Thomas1960, Power247, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Heating up the sleeve from the inside can help break up the rust.

The key here is going to be getting even contact with the back of the sleeve when you hit it with a hammer.

I'd be concerned that too much chisel could flare the end making it even harder to get out.

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

If you can figure out a way to get a slide hammer to grab the sleeve that’s the kind of motion you need to get it out.

IMG_2757.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I really appreciate all the suggestions.

I ended up getting it out this morning, well, actually, my favorite shop helped.

It took some serious work with an air hammer, but it's out!

Any suggestions on mitigating the rust that's in there?

Joe

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Joe,

Mechanically remove rust, coat with your choice of rust inhibiting paint and then coat with fluid fluid or an equivalent lanolin based coating.

May need to reapply lanolin coating every year, but it keeps the rust at bay.

If you live in an area where roads are covered in salt, would also be worth while to coat the entire under carriage of the truck with lanolin. About a gallon with do it using an airless paint sprayer.

2018 srw 3500

11. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Power247, AK Bob liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Thanks for the great tip!

That’s exactly what I did.

I’d love to spray the carriage too.

Seems like a PITA though. Has anyone found a reasonable way to spray the carriage?

I see you can buy Fluid Film by the gallon and use a high pressure sprayer, but seems like you’d need to throw it on a rack?

13. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I see it as the lesser or the two evils.

Either coat or fight rusty bolts.

I spray our vehicles in the driveway on jack stands with a drop cloth.

I remove headlights, taillights, wheels, fender liners and door panels.

Use a spray can with a flexible nozzle in each door and this paint sprayer: https://www.harborfreight.com/airles...kit-60600.html

I use water to prime it and flush the pump.

Since the stuff never dries and acts as a lubricant the sprayer has been holding up. Have done it this way for the past couple years.

2018 srw 3500

15. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post