Thanks Thanks:  35
Likes Likes:  112
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trickle Charger Make/Model

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Trickle Charger Make/Model

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    I would invest in a decent quality surge protector.

I also really like the permanent quick connect battery terminal adapter - makes hooking up very fast & no clips (just plug in).

I am **** on everything involving my Ram & I wrapped all the wiring in plastic wire loom - just in case the hood slams shut on the wire - the actual wiring will be some what protected.

That's about all I can come up with - it's fairly simple.

Is Big boy going to be in the garage or out in the elements?
    (This will change my set up) but easy to adapt to work).
    Extension Cord first - Then surge protector & Noco under your hood & plugged in to battery with quick disconnect.

A thick gauge extension cord might be important as well - if parked outside away from the nearest outlet. (I bought a HD 14 Gauge - 15Amp 25Ft) just in case I had to park the JUDGE outside...

Now! If your rigging up a system like Bobs? He best chime in - with his advice...
    I would invest in a decent quality surge protector.

I also really like the permanent quick connect battery terminal adapter - makes hooking up very fast & no clips (just plug in).

I am **** on everything involving my Ram & I wrapped all the wiring in plastic wire loom - just in case the hood slams shut on the wire - the actual wiring will be some what protected.

That's about all I can come up with - it's fairly simple.

Is Big boy going to be in the garage or out in the elements?
    (This will change my set up) but easy to adapt to work).
    Extension Cord first - Then surge protector & Noco under your hood & plugged in to battery with quick disconnect.

A thick gauge extension cord might be important as well - if parked outside away from the nearest outlet. (I bought a HD 14 Gauge - 15Amp 25Ft) just in case I had to park the JUDGE outside...

Now! If your rigging up a system like Bobs? He best chime in - with his advice...
    Meet JAXON(named after first grandson), this is where he hibernates for the winter no outside storage for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 RAM 2500, MM3/DRD, 625 ARP Studs, RevMax VB

2. Thanks SyN, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Thinking it might be time to invest in a battery tender and new batteries while I am at it. When truck is idling/running MM3 shows 13.9-14 volts. When I check voltage at the batteries and truck is running I am getting same voltage. When I shut the truck down and check voltage at the batteries a few minutes later batteries are reading 12.6-12.7 volts both are reading the same. Truck sat last week for about 3-4 days and truck seemed to take a few seconds longer to start and I had CEL for battery voltage low (not exact verbiage). Truck sat most of last summer due to me being gone for 4 months wife drove it once in a while and it will be sitting again for another 3 months starting in a few weeks. Might wait until I get back to get the tender and batteries so she doesn't have to worry about plugging and unplugging a tender.

2017 Tradesman Bright white, Blacked out OEM headlights, 7" EVIC dash/screen, tinted windows including windshield, 2" HBS leveling kit w/2" shock extensions, 18x9 Procomp Series 5034 Rockwell wheels, 35x12.50x18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, ARE Overland topper, LED bed lights (Walmart), 8.4 Uconnect w/nav, 7spd AC fan switch, OEM back up camera, S&B intake, CCV delete, MM3 from DRD, 4" FloPro DP back exhaust, BD Diesel Performance grid heater delete, Twin ram 3.5" intake horn, RevMax Trans cooler bypass

4. Likes SyN, watersupply189, Jaxonsram liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

I was bored last week during days off & made a quick trip to the Local Autozone / O'Reillys / Napa and priced their best batteries X2 -- I left scratching my head @ all 3 places... WoW = $$$$$$$

I am hoping by using my Noco Genius G750 & keeping both my OEM batteries fully charged most of time - I will add 2 more years or more life into them...
    Have a Uncle who uses the G750 and felt it helped him reach 8 yrs with both his OEM batteries...

When the feeling is there - Might have to make a run to OKC and visit Costco or Sams Club...

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

6. Likes watersupply189, Jaxonsram, Power247 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

Contacted NOCO support 10/02/20 wondering if there would be a charging time-out issue to charge my two AGM
    Group 94R, Deep Cycle, Dual Purpose, Capacity: 81AH batteries in parallel and this was the response (which seemed like a general disclaimer): “We would recommend the GENIUS5 or GENMini1 as they are designed for batteries up to 120Ah in size.

We do not recommend mounting the charger in the engine compartment of a vehicle. The high temperatures would be outside of the Operating/Storage Temperatures outlined in the warranty information for the charger. Please find some information below from the warranty guide regarding mounting, storing, and operating the charger:

Location - Locate the charger as far away from the battery as possible. Do not place the charger directly above the battery as gases from battery will corrode and damage charger. Prevent battery acid from coming contact with the charger. Do not operate the charger in a closed-in area or an area with restricted ventilation. Do not set a battery on top of charger. Position cable to avoid accidental damage by moving vehicle parts (including hoods and doors), moving engine parts (including fan blades, belts, and pulleys), or what could become a hazard that may cause injury or death.

Operating Temperature - The charger is designed to work in ambient temperatures between 32° and 104° F (0° and 40° C) and stored in temperatures between 0° and 130° F (-17° and 54° C). Do not store or operate outside of these temperature ranges. Do not charge a frozen battery. Discontinue use of charger immediately if the battery becomes excessively warm.”

2013 3500 6.7 Cummins Crew Cab Stock

Eric
    2013 / 3500 Tradesman / 6.7L / G56 / CCLB / SWD

8. Thanks SyN, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes SyN, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

So anyway the GENIUS2 is designed for up to 40Ah batteries or sets. So you are charging 4 times the recommended battery size. While it technically can charge those batteries, it would take 60 hours to do so. It may hit the timeout period as well where it will return the device to standby regardless if the battery is charged or not.

Eric
    2013 / 3500 Tradesman / 6.7L / G56 / CCLB / SWD

10. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicIPA View Post
    So anyway the GENIUS2 is designed for up to 40Ah batteries or sets. So you are charging 4 times the recommended battery size. While it technically can charge those batteries, it would take 60 hours to do so. It may hit the timeout period as well where it will return the device to standby regardless if the battery is charged or not.

Thanks, good information. I came to the same conclusion after my first winter with my Norco 2A charger. I have it set up on a timer with my block heater to come on 4 to 6 hours prior to departure depending on outside temperatures. Now have installed a 5A to see how it does. The 2A worked but I would feel better with a little more change. Will continue to use the 2A as a winter storage charger/maintainer for my other batteries. I have mine installed under the hood on top of the fuse box with Velcro. No issues with heat, but then again I do live in Alaska.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Thanks, good information. I came to the same conclusion after my first winter with my Norco 2A charger. I have it set up on a timer with my block heater to come on 4 to 6 hours prior to departure depending on outside temperatures. Now have installed a 5A to see how it does. The 2A worked but I would feel better with a little more change. Will continue to use the 2A as a winter storage charger/maintainer for my other batteries. I have mine installed under the hood on top of the fuse box with Velcro. No issues with heat, but then again I do live in Alaska.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I use the 2A but I have one on each battery otherwise it'd take days to revive the truck if it went completely dead.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

14. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

What I've used on my 2016 3500 since new (or... the first time I found out that the parasitic drain from the constant cellular 3G link and other always-on modules will kill a set of batteries in a couple weeks).

Link here>>> https://www.batteryminders.com/2012a...acid-batteries

2016 Longhorn 3500, 4x4 shortbed CrewCab, Cummins HO/AISIN, 99.8% stock.
    * Hauling a 2018 Northstar Arrow-U. Scale weight 12,400 Lb.

16. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Jaxonsram, SyN liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

I just did a bit of backward research and found my G750 will also charge AGM batteries as well - So!

For those that have experience with the AGM style of batteries --> What are your personal thoughts?
    Are they a worth while investment? (Mainly the extra cost)

At this moment My (OEM) batteries are still in good shape - Just thinking about the future.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

18. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

I just did a bit of backward research and found my G750 will also charge AGM batteries as well - So!

For those that have experience with the AGM style of batteries --> What are your personal thoughts?
    Are they a worth while investment? (Mainly the extra cost)

At this moment My (OEM) batteries are still in good shape - Just thinking about the future.
    I just ordered a set Extreme X2 AGM batteries today.

Ordered them through Batteries Pro.

They are a little pricey but I was able to get 15% off on each one.

What sold me was the 5 year free replacement.

That’s better warranty than any other battery I’ve seen.

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56, Dr. DRD medically cured!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

20. Thanks SyN thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, SyN liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast