Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: 2012 126k miles To delete or not delete??

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2012 126k miles To delete or not delete??

Hi all! New to this forum so thanks in advance.

I have a 2012 w/126k on it. I notice mileage empty is down to around 14.5mpg, so figure another 67.5 service is due, or time to delete? I did the last service with the kit from Geno's, so I am at least that much of a mechanic. I have read on the mini-max that you can just tune w/o removing EGR, or DPF; what are your thoughts on that? I don't have a big issue removing EGR, but would prefer to leave DPF in place if possible for when its time to trade in a few years from now. Also I like quiet, not a fan of noise from a straight pipe. Better mileage would be great! But my biggest motivation for deleting would really be a cleaner healthier engine without having to do another 67.5 service.

SO I guess I'm wondering your thoughts on tuning w/o deleting? Tuning with only deleting EGR? Or if I should just do the service and go another 60k?

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, AnOldBiker liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2012 126k miles To delete or not delete??

If your intention is to trade the truck in the relatively near future then I would say do a regular service and keep everything intact. As you know you will need to find the right buyer for even just a deleted/modified truck and if you trade into a dealer they will require emissions equipment present at the trade in.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Welcome!! @mick2268

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    If your intention is to trade the truck in the relatively near future then I would say do a regular service and keep everything intact. As you know you will need to find the right buyer for even just a deleted/modified truck and if you trade into a dealer they will require emissions equipment present at the trade in.
    I want to echo this. I just traded in my 2012 and the dealer was adamant that I needed to provide the factory parts in order to get my full trade in value. So if you take them off make sure you keep everything.

As for possible tuning options and the EGR, I have not seen any tuning available for the pre-DEF trucks that allows you to disable the EGR while leaving the rest of the exhaust intact. EGR-less tuning became possible on the '13 and up trucks when the DEF/SCR system was introduced to the 2500/3500 pickups.

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

5. Likes watersupply189, AnOldBiker liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mick2268 View Post
    Hi all! New to this forum so thanks in advance.

I have a 2012 w/126k on it. I notice mileage empty is down to around 14.5mpg, so figure another 67.5 service is due, or time to delete? I did the last service with the kit from Geno's, so I am at least that much of a mechanic. I have read on the mini-max that you can just tune w/o removing EGR, or DPF; what are your thoughts on that? I don't have a big issue removing EGR, but would prefer to leave DPF in place if possible for when its time to trade in a few years from now. Also I like quiet, not a fan of noise from a straight pipe. Better mileage would be great! But my biggest motivation for deleting would really be a cleaner healthier engine without having to do another 67.5 service.

SO I guess I'm wondering your thoughts on tuning w/o deleting? Tuning with only deleting EGR? Or if I should just do the service and go another 60k?
    Welcome friend!!!

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

7. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

9. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Thanks all.

I guess I will just order another kit from Geno's.

One follow up question though.

Do I do the reset when I do the service, or wait for the notification to come at 134k and reset then?

11. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post