2018 Cummins CCV

What is the verdict?

Do you keep it or delete it?

And if you delete it what did you do?

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2018 Cummins CCV

I have read both ways and that the engine is needing some vacuum that is created by the connection with the turbo.

When I do my delete CCV, I will have studs and a different turbo and maybe even a new valve cover that has a collection/baffle area for the CCV gases to pass through.

I also only have 20k miles on my truck and not even through my first CCV filter.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Teamfleek View Post
    What is the verdict?

IMOnStock setup keep it- aftermarket lose it.

The difference in pressure created by turbo helps seals rings on the motor.

The CCV filter is low maintenance since manual says it is a 68k mileage filter.

If your filter is neglected then there may be excessive oil (I haven't personally heard of this or seen it) enter turbo intake.

The most I have heard about are a couple drops.

When going after market or if you still decide to MOD then run heater hose down to the frame.

If you still have factory intake then plug the hole.

The heater hose will help eliminate the smell that the little filter kits create and prevent having drops in the driveway if it does burp some oil up.

Keep us posted with your mods!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Thanks watersupply189, BlackBart thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    IMOnStock setup keep it- aftermarket lose it.

The difference in pressure created by turbo helps seals rings on the motor.

The CCV filter is low maintenance since manual says it is a 68k mileage filter.

If your filter is neglected then there may be excessive oil (I haven't personally heard of this or seen it) enter turbo intake.

The most I have heard about are a couple drops.

When going after market or if you still decide to MOD then run heater hose down to the frame.

If you still have factory intake then plug the hole.

The heater hose will help eliminate the smell that the little filter kits create and prevent having drops in the driveway if it does burp some oil up.

Keep us posted with your mods!
    Mike,

Could you explain/expand on how the pressure difference from the ATM side of the turbo help with rings sealing?

My observation has been on mechanical fuel supplied diesels the crank case is vented to ATM. On previous electronic controlled systems 2.8 in a jeep to a couple of Duramaxs had no filter and was piped to the suction side of the turbo.

The result was a light coating of oil throughout the intake piping and charge cooling. Most enthusiasts proceeded to vent to ATM with a section of heater hose. The only down fall was in colder climates the hose could plug with ice and cause turbo seals to pop from excessive crank case pressure.

The solution was keep it within the engine compartment but low enough to prevent smells in the cab.

The 6.7 Cummins is the first one I have seen with a filter.

Is it a Cummins standard to include a filter?

2018 srw 3500

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

This was the best I could find to explain in theory.

I cannot find anything per Cummins as to why this set up on 6.7's, Minimal vacuum needed, max, etc.

The reduced pressure ("vacuum") in the crankcase is generated by having a substantial excess of scavenging capacity with respect to the engine's oil flow rate. The "vacuum" increases the pressure differential across the ring package, producing an improved ring seal.

The improved ring seal allows the use of a low-tension (reduced friction) ring package, yielding a power increase as well. Further, the reduced crankcase pressure dramatically reduces windage losses at high RPM.

Other ideas.

http://www.maesco.com/products/racor...CCV_intro.html.

There are many kits out there that you can make a catch can and put a filter or catch media in it.

On other forums, I have been on, for 5.9 and 6.7's I have seen people run the hose from CCV into the bottom of the stock airbox.

Those that did this were folks that were sticking with an OEM air filter and changing them around 10k miles. The oil if any was very minimal, looked like if you had dirty hands and touch a new filter. (I never have done this and don't know about this one)

Vacuum pumps run on diesel's can be good and they say can add HP.

The CCV is an emission compliant device as we know. It evolved some forward than backward.

All generations of Cummins in a truck have some sort of baffle and vent or baffle/filter and vent.

The locations on the engine for the vents have changed as well.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Teamfleek View Post
    What is the verdict?

My 07.5 was deleted with the hose ran down to the frame.

I'll be keeping it on my 2018 but I'll be changing the CCV filter @ 25k mile intervals.

The whole purpose of the factory setup is to create positive crankcase pressure to pull it through the filter.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

12. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Thank you for the info.

I have decided to leave mine on and do early CCV filter changes also.

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crshanta View Post
    Mike,

Could you explain/expand on how the pressure difference from the ATM side of the turbo help with rings sealing?

My observation has been on mechanical fuel supplied diesels the crank case is vented to ATM. On previous electronic controlled systems 2.8 in a jeep to a couple of Duramaxs had no filter and was piped to the suction side of the turbo.

The result was a light coating of oil throughout the intake piping and charge cooling. Most enthusiasts proceeded to vent to ATM with a section of heater hose. The only down fall was in colder climates the hose could plug with ice and cause turbo seals to pop from excessive crank case pressure.

The solution was keep it within the engine compartment but low enough to prevent smells in the cab.

The 6.7 Cummins is the first one I have seen with a filter.

Is it a Cummins standard to include a filter?
    Sorry for the late reply- I dont know the scientific reasoning if thats exactly what your looking for.

The other fellows are spot on with their answers, in a nut shell I agree with Joe saying the whole purpose of the factory setup is to create positive crankcase pressure to pull it through the filter.

I believe there is a thread here somewhere with Ray with DRD digs into it a bit.

I will post link if I can find it

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

16. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Hi Mike,

Yes, I was looking for a bit more in depth discussion; However, a quick search yielded enough information to satisfy and allow some reflection. Yes, please send the link where Ray digs in.

I agree with creating pressure differential across the crank case filter.

Do not fully agree with the statement of allowing lower tension rings and better sealing. There maybe a pressure differential generated between the crank case and turbo inlet, but the conductance though the pipe between the two is going to reduce the pressure differential at the rings. Will there still be a net differential, yes sure. But do not see it as a significant friction modifier.

http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/a-tec...turbocharging/

http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine...technology.htm

End result is the same.

Either replace the crank case filter, install a catch can or vent to atm is an end user choice.

No real performance benefit to any choice and direct venting is least responsible.

For me at the time being, going to take no action and leave the stock filter and replace when necessary.

2018 srw 3500

18. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I have deleted my CCV in my truck, but I also read the vacuum was needed so I piped to a catch can, then out from the catch can into the intake so I effectively remove any oil droplets before they would enter the turbo.

However, before I installed the catch can I ran for about a week piped directly from the valve cover to the intake with no CCV filter and saw absolutely no oil. I would honestly only assume oil would be present on a very worn out engine.

20. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post