Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  61
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Premium Diesel @ the Pumps

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Premium Diesel @ the Pumps

We have premium at our pumps here in northern Michigan, where I fill up(take it for what it’s worth).

I work at a road commission and our mechanics had samples of premium fuel and regular fuel taken and tested.

It does have additives in it that they is beneficial to run in our county trucks (that’s all we run), we can’t put the additives in for the cost difference of the premium compared to regular.

They were checking the pour quality, how one reacts to cold temperatures vs the other.

For the extra dollar or so it cost per fill up it seems worth it to run in my truck.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 RAM 2500, MM3/DRD, 625 ARP Studs, RevMax VB

2. Thanks AK Bob, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxonsram View Post
    We have premium at our pumps here in northern Michigan, where I fill up(take it for what it’s worth). I work at a road commission and our mechanics had samples of premium fuel and regular fuel taken and tested. It does have additives in it that they is beneficial to run in our county trucks (that’s all we run), we can’t put the additives in for the cost difference of the premium compared to regular. They were checking the pour quality, how one reacts to cold temperatures vs the other. For the extra dollar or so it cost per fill up it seems worth it to run in my truck.

Just my 2 cents.

So.... It's more cold-weather related than -- What??

4. Likes watersupply189, Jaxonsram liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnthrope View Post
    So.... It's more cold-weather related than -- What??
    For our use it was more for the colder temperatures.

The station that we get this fuel from (small station that goes through a lot of premium fuel) does claim that it has additives that aren’t in the regular fuel (weather it does or doesn’t, all I have is their word and our mechanics).

I use based on that and the fact it’s only a little more than regular.

12 RAM 2500, MM3/DRD, 625 ARP Studs, RevMax VB

6. Thanks MrAnthrope thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

I work in the fuel industry. I have never heard of premium diesel so it has me perplexed. I am in Nevada where we do not have Cenex so that may be it. We do additize our diesel here during winter to help prevent gelling but its normal here, nothing to call premium. Most people do not know but the state and often times county or local do test tanks at stations (directly from the tank not the pump) to make sure what they claim is in the tank is what they are selling. This happens quite frequently as I would see them all the time when deilvering fuel at night. So there has to be something in it they claim makes it premium....given the broad definition of the word it could be anything. As far as gas goes, its all the same except for additive....branded Chevron or Shell injects their addtive at time of loading at the rack so the base product is the same just the additive is different. Octane rating holds true as the computer checks as it loads and if the additives, ethanol and ultimately the octane rating are not up to spec the load does not leave the loading rack. As far as diesel in this area its all the same regardless of what brand shows on the paperwork. Same is true for California. I have loaded at racks in Boise, ID and SLC, UT and other than different octane ratings and some odd petroleum products I have only seen standard ultra low sulfur diesel available for public use but that only reflects the few Tesoro racks I have visited.

I will keep checking back to see what comes of this

2018 Ram 3500 (Aisin) Laramie 4X4 CCSB White/Silver.
    2018 Mustang GT Lightning Blue 6 spd manual.
    2021 Charger GT AWD Triple Nickel/Black

8. Thanks watersupply189, Jaxonsram thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AnOldBiker, Jaxonsram, SyN liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

This is what I'm trying to figure out. Are you saying Premium or grade 1 verses 2 ? @Aboshan has it right. I retired from a refinery in Cali, and never fears of premium. If there is a cetane rating change, what are they ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

10. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Post some pics of what this looks like at the pump, never heard of it.

People are just too lazy to add their own Howe's now or what?

But the higher octane non-ethanol gas is not a waste of $$$.

It's all we run in our snowmobiles and small equipment.

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

11. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Interesting read and another side of the Discussion!

https://www.team-bhp.com/tech-stuff/...premium-diesel

https://www.agweb.com/article/the-im...nsored-content

Edit: Many - Many different opinions on this matter - similar to Oil brands & Viscositys & Filters (Everybody has their favorite brands) & (Opinions)

I think my wise choice would be just to stick with 6oz of Schaeffers SoyShield or Diesel Treat @ every fill up.
    (Sales Rep) shared with me actual white paper data - showing BOTH basically giving #2 diesel the same advantages as the claims of the Premium diesel for only an extra $2.31 each fill up.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

13. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    Interesting read and another side of the Discussion!

https://www.team-bhp.com/tech-stuff/...premium-diesel

https://www.agweb.com/article/the-im...nsored-content

Edit: Many - Many different opinions on this matter - similar to Oil brands & Viscositys & Filters (Everybody has their favorite brands) & (Opinions)

I think my wise choice would be just to stick with 6oz of Schaeffers SoyShield or Diesel Treat @ every fill up.
    (Sales Rep) shared with me actual white paper data - showing BOTH basically giving #2 diesel the same advantages as the claims of the Premium diesel for only an extra $2.31 each fill up.
    I read the team BHP article and it says many manufacturers recommend against premium diesel in their CARS. It was specific to India but the resources are solid. I would agree its basically the same diesel with some additive in it that legally qualifies to call it premium which could mean anything. Cenex claims it has higher cetane but does not mention how much higher which is immediately suspect. Anything 2007 or newer is designed to run on the current ULSD so more cetane is not necessarily a good thing. Engines 2007 and later would benefit more from higher sulfur than higher cetane due to the lubricity factors.

In response to @AnOldBiker....its good there is another fuel guy around. As far as Diesel # 1, which is also known as Kerosene and Jet Fuel, is very high in sulfur and due to taxation and low sulfur requirements can no longer be sold as #1 or clear Kerosene. In clear form it has to be purchased from the rack as jet fuel and pay all the aircraft taxes. In order to buy it as Kerosene it has to be dyed red when loading. I hauled a lot of aviation fuels and experienced the change as it came down, if I remember right it was right around 2013 or 2014 in Nevada. Since Reno gets its fuel via pipeline out of Richmond and Benicia, CA, Nevada was most likely following suit when Calif made the change or it was a federal thing. It is illegal to blend #1 in the current diesel #2 as it would have too much sulfur so now they winterize with chemical additives. It seems to me if you run Premium diesel you are putting faith in whatever chemical they are adding to your standard diesel.

Researching Cenex all I could find were well worded sales pitches. No advertised or real life numbers or anything claiming to be proof, just generalized statements. The first line in my sig says it all

2018 Ram 3500 (Aisin) Laramie 4X4 CCSB White/Silver.
    2018 Mustang GT Lightning Blue 6 spd manual.
    2021 Charger GT AWD Triple Nickel/Black

15. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

@Aboshan Thank you for your thoughts & input!

It seems I always have to remind myself to the simple matter: "Just because a few others do it or use it (With high or good or even decent success) & I don't - does not make them wrong for it"...

The most successful folks are very open minded & handle adaptation very well & are always listening to different thoughts & ideas & are not to busy talking to hear & understand...

Having FAITH in Someone or Something is apart of every day we wake up to.
    Having FAITH & Wasting $$$$$ seems to go hand in hand. (Just my personal & humble observations).

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

17. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

We have Premium Diesel here in Wisconsin at some Kwik Trips (if you've ever heard of them).

In the summer, there is Diesel #2 and then for about $.05 more, Premium.

In the winter, all the pumps are "Premium" winterized fuel sometimes putting a sticker over the #2 label.

Only thing I've noticed stated on the Premium in the summer is that it never seems to have any disclaimers about containing any % of bio.

19. Thanks SyN, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes SyN, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast