Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  16

Thread: Upgrade Turbo and Chip?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Upgrade Turbo and Chip?

Hi everyone. Just joined the group.

I have a 2015 Cummins 3500 6.7l. Cab and chassis.

Here is my situation.

My turbo just died.

I have to replace it and I am thinking of why not putting in a modified one from the stock 54cm. To the 67cm and get more boost.

Why not right? I should get more power more mpg etc.

Now secondly I am thinking of plugging in one of those simple performance chips.

It sounds like a good combination RIGHT?

I will have all of the emissions on the rig and be legal.

Now my concern is when I have more boost. From the turbo and the throttle valve closes then what?

Should I just remove the throttle plate or what?

Or am I just over thinking it.

2. Thanks watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Upgrade Turbo and Chip?

Quote Originally Posted by Leebob View Post
    Hi everyone. Just joined the group.

I have a 2015 Cummins 3500 6.7l. Cab and chassis.

Here is my situation.

My turbo just died.

I have to replace it and I am thinking of why not putting in a modified one from the stock 54cm. To the 67cm and get more boost.

Why not right? I should get more power more mpg etc.

Now secondly I am thinking of plugging in one of those simple performance chips.

It sounds like a good combination RIGHT?

I will have all of the emissions on the rig and be legal.

Now my concern is when I have more boost. From the turbo and the throttle valve closes then what?

Should I just remove the throttle plate or what?

Or am I just over thinking it.
    Welcome friend!

Is it the turbo that died or the actuator?

A lot of folks have been having issues with their actuators and not the turbo.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Thanks cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Welcome!

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Likes cumminsbadgirl, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

It’s the turbo. I even changed the actuator. And it screwed the new one up also. Put the new one on the other day. And while it was off I just sat on a bucket and flipped the turbo arm back and forth for about a half hour. Hoping to free it up I didn’t work. I am leaving the wires off. Until I change the turbo. I really don’t want to buy a 3rd actuator

8. Thanks cumminsbadgirl, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Hello and welcome @Leebob
    Enjoy our forum!

2014 Laramie MC 3500 (Aisin) 4X4
    MM3/DRD, *** EGR Delete
    AFE CAI, 4” FLO-PRO w/muffler, 4” Zone lift w/37 Federal Couragia’s/Black Rhinos

2014 CUMMINS "BADGIRL" Laramie MC 3500 (Aisin) 4X4 MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel *** EGR delete AFE CAI 4” FLO-PRO w/muffler 4" Zone lift, Federal Couragia 37’s with Black Rhinos,bed carpet kit, tail-gate assist, Retrax tunnau cover

Previous "Cummins Badgirls" :
    2006 Cummins 2500 4x4
    2012 Cummins 2500 4x4

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

It’s the turbo. I even changed the actuator. And it screwed the new one up also. Put the new one on the other day. And while it was off I just sat on a bucket and flipped the turbo arm back and forth for about a half hour. Hoping to free it up I didn’t work. I am leaving the wires off. Until I change the turbo. I really don’t want to buy a 3rd actuator
    Just curious was the replacement actuator stock or City Diesel?

If stock did you calibrate it?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

12. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Stock. And calibrated. The turbo is stiff from all the exhaust crap. Now back to the original question. They the throttle valve. Can I take the plate out so it can breath better?? Or will it cause more problems?

14. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Welcome to the family

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Stock. And calibrated. The turbo is stiff from all the exhaust crap. Now back to the original question. They the throttle valve. Can I take the plate out so it can breath better?? Or will it cause more problems?
    Without a tuner you will go into limp mode friend.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

18. Likes AK Bob liked this post