Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: My fix for 68RFE No Movement

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

My fix for 68RFE No Movement

Last week my 2011 2500 4x4 just suddenly quit pulling. No forward, no reverse. In searching the interweb you see a lot of threads where people post their problems but tend not to follow up on the thread when they resolve their problem. This isn't one of those threads. I found discussions on issues with the filters. It seems, any time there is a filter issue, the trans is no longer able to pick up fluid. This kind of went along with what I was sensing with mine, as there was no bang, pop, grind, etc. It just quit pulling, kind of like if it didn't have fluid in it. There was also a scenario where the sprag would go bad, but since there were no noises currently or leading up to the failure, I gambled and went ahead and ordered all new Mopar Filters and fluid, as well as the metal spin on filter adapter, all through Amazon for $136. Over this past weekend, I dropped the pan and here is what I found (pics). The tube of the pancake filter had blown out of the transmission case bore that it was supposed to be in. Installed all the new stuff and she back to running like a champ.

I read about scenarios where the anti drain back, in the spin on filter, fails or a cheap aftermarket filter is used that doesn't have the anti drain back. It seems that this may create an air pocket and, upon startup, this air pocket gets blown back into the pancake filter and usually splits it down the seam. I think this may be what happened to mine and it just blew the pancake filter out of the bore, instead of splitting the filter. The filters, that were in it. were Mopar parts. My truck is totally stock with 175K on it.

Hope this can help someone else and keep them from spending replacement transmission kinda money, when a filter and fluid change would fix it.

Posey

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks 03 unicorn, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: My fix for 68RFE No Movement

I did get some codes.

The first code was P0841.

I cleared the codes and tried it again and got a P0731.

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes 03 unicorn, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I got my whole trans replaced under warranty for similar issues with some of the same codes.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

6. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Thanks for your post jposey: I have discussed basically similar issues with a few long time Ram owners w/68RFE.
    2-3 years ago a few of these gentlemen chose to drop the pan & replace w\after market pan with drain plug as well as replace the very cheesy \ cheap made paper spin on filter with either the Royal Purple 10-2867 or Wix XP 57055 (Remove Stickers with brake cleaner) either of these will be at least 5X more efficient as the very cheap made OEM paper filter.
    If you get a chance - Cut one of these spin-on OEM filters apart! - **** owners will just shake their head... I wouldn't install one of this quality on my lawnmower!

Also added the RevMax (aluminum) spin on filter screw adapter - which I myself will add blue loctite to the threads that screw into the 68RFE. Thus the same set up as your normal (spin on oil filter)

SyN Disclaimer: I'm not Recommending this idea to other owners - I'm only sharing my personal experiences & near future plans (This Up & Coming Summer)...

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post