Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  15

Thread: 2018 4.44 Gear Swap

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2018 4.44 Gear Swap

Hello all,

Just installed new 295/65R20 toyo MT on my 18 2500.

Old truck was a 14 3500 dually with 4.10 Aisin and stock tires and I absolutely loved how it was geared.

If I'm using the gear calcs right, installing 4.44s will put the my new truck whether running 35s or 37s +/- roughly 50rpm of my old truck at 75mph.

Problem is, I cant seem to figure out what PN I need to buy or where I should buy it from.

I've read this is a stock gear size but not sure if my 18 2500 has the .5 or .8 gears?

Is that size front & back or rear only?

Do I need a bearing conversion kit etc?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to do this right.

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2018 4.44 Gear Swap

9.25 ring in front and 11.5 in rear. Depends on how many miles you have for bearings. But since you will be in there, might as well change them out.

The other way is you could pull the rear cover and check the stampings on the gears to be sure and you would only be out a couple of quarts for gear oil.

I would go with aam gears.

2018 srw 3500

4. Likes InlineSix.7, watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

20k on the truck. Not sure if theres any merit to damaging the existing bearings on the way out but I think I'd lean toward paying for a complete new bearing/install kit.

How does this work, any 9.25 and 11.5 ram R&P is compatible with my truck or are there year specific considerations?

I keep seeing people talk about a conversion bearing kit. Trying to figure out if I need that to run the 4.44 which is this is std gears for the chassis cab trucks.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I think I got it figured out now.

Once I find someone stocking these odd ball 4.44 gears at a good price I'll post part numbers.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

That's a small ratio change, not sure you will notice it.

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Yes please post up part numbers.

I was unaware that there was 4.44 gears.

Might want to make a post in the price request section.

2018 srw 3500

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruckinFool View Post
    I think I got it figured out now.

Once I find someone stocking these odd ball 4.44 gears at a good price I'll post part numbers.
    I looked after reading your post initially, as I am also wanting to regear and want to stick with OEM parts.

I went to AAM's website and found the 4.44 gears listed then searched the part number.

I found C&M gearworks has 4.44s listed. I'm not sure if you've ran across their site yet or not.

Did you happen to find out if a conversion bearing is needed or is that just for aftermarket gears?

Let me know what you find out,

Good luck and thanks!

2006 dodge ram 2500 QCLB, nv5600, sb dd 3250, bd diesel s361, pacbrake exhaust brake, 4 in exhaust, carli control arms and springs, rear ladder bars

14. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

4.56 is a more standard ratio and easy to find.

Plus you will feel very little difference in that small ratio change if at all.

Call East Coast Gear Supply or email them and they will email you an exact invoice of all the parts you will need and the cost.

I recently went from 37" tires on 3.42 to 4.88 gears with 40" tires and it feels awesome.

You wont be able to even perceive a difference between 4.44 and 4.56 and only a little difference from 3.73 to 4.56.

Point is instead of guessing and possibly making a costly mistake ordering the wrong parts.

Actually contact a gear supply like East Coast Gear or somewhere else and get the exact part numbers and prices quoted to you.

Or just go the shop your gonna have it done at and have them give you the quote.

Asking on the forum is just gonna get you different info and different prices since it various from state to state on cost

Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 Ram 2500 Laramie, full delete, 4.88 gears, 40" Milestar Patagonia on Method wheels AEV 3" dual sport suspension, Thuren softride coils King Shocks with resi's

16. Thanks watersupply189, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, SyN, DieselDingus liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

2500 rear uses a larger dia pinion shaft than the 3500, but no 4.44s for the 2500, so you will need the conversion kit.
    Make sure you get the front gears for. A 2016 and up. Different offsets.
    Depending on how you use it , 4.56s would be my recommendation with the 37s

08 r2500 quad cab 4x4 - Ugly Betty
    Deleted, AFE , 5" strait pipe , DRD Tuned
    68RFE, bonded, pressure kit , Drum, Chanel plate, ultra tight tripple
    Carli 2.5" King Shocks, Full Deaver rear
    F/R 4340 shafts, locked up, Freespin, 4.10's
    17" Icon Rebound Pros w/ 37" Baja Pro's
    IronCross bumpers F/R, 12k winch, BedSlide, Canopy , etc.

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post