Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  16

Thread: Injector Issue

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Injector Issue

Good evening, long time listener first time caller here!

I have a 2016 bone stock 2500 with 106K on the clock.

About 1.5K miles ago I got a mysterious rattling noise from the engine at about 1400-1800RPM.

Truck didn't run great, fuel mileage went down, and had some surging issues. Replaced the FCA, put new fuel in it from a different station, noise went away so I chocked it up to bad fuel.

During that time I showed a pending code of p020E that never triggered a CEL.

Well, noise is back intermittently, with it being worse on cold mornings and during active Regens.

Kicked the same pending code the other day(never triggered CEL), and this morning on the way to work it was 30*(that's freezing for us here in florida) and I was bellowing out thick white smoke until my engine got to about 150*, truck ran fine after that but still have a rattleing noise under acceleration, and now I'm scratching my head.

Does this sound like a bad injector?

Diesel shop I was able to get a hold of recommended taking the valve cover off and doing a visual inspection, so I'm working on that now, anyone have any advice on how to get the two breather hoses off of the valve cover?

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Injector Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Basskicker View Post
    Good evening, long time listener first time caller here!

I have a 2016 bone stock 2500 with 106K on the clock.

About 1.5K miles ago I got a mysterious rattling noise from the engine at about 1400-1800RPM.

Truck didn't run great, fuel mileage went down, and had some surging issues. Replaced the FCA, put new fuel in it from a different station, noise went away so I chocked it up to bad fuel.

During that time I showed a pending code of p020E that never triggered a CEL.

Well, noise is back intermittently, with it being worse on cold mornings and during active Regens.

Kicked the same pending code the other day(never triggered CEL), and this morning on the way to work it was 30*(that's freezing for us here in florida) and I was bellowing out thick white smoke until my engine got to about 150*, truck ran fine after that but still have a rattleing noise under acceleration, and now I'm scratching my head.

Does this sound like a bad injector?

Diesel shop I was able to get a hold of recommended taking the valve cover off and doing a visual inspection, so I'm working on that now, anyone have any advice on how to get the two breather hoses off of the valve cover?
    That code should refer to the #5 injector.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Likes walla2k5, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

X2 With valve cover removed check the electrical connections on injector #5.

If loose torque to 8.8 in-lbs.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Likes watersupply189, cwendel liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    X2 With valve cover removed check the electrical connections on injector #5.

If loose torque to 8.8 in-lbs.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Got the valve cover off last night, everything looked normal.

This morning the truck loped for the first minute, then rattled pretty bad until engine warmed up, should I just fire the parts shotgun and replace injector #5?

It has never kicked off a check engine light, but has shown up on my scanner as a pending code twice now.

8. Likes watersupply189, cwendel liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Basskicker View Post
    Got the valve cover off last night, everything looked normal.

This morning the truck loped for the first minute, then rattled pretty bad until engine warmed up, should I just fire the parts shotgun and replace injector #5?

It has never kicked off a check engine light, but has shown up on my scanner as a pending code twice now.
    Try and see if there is a local shop that has a scanner that can read injectors.

Some will show balance rate in the truck. Anything +/- 2% is considered normal.

Outside that then replace.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

If it throws a code, you have two choices. Measure the ohm reading to see if the coil is still good. Should read between 0.5 & 1.0 ohms.

Second, have a kill test run on the truck to rule out the injector.

But since it is throwing a code for a bad injector and you have already seen the white smoke, change it now before you melt a piston.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
    If it were not for bad luck I would have no luck at all.

using Tapatalk

12. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

UPDATE

Truck got worse so I pulled the injectors and had them tested, they all failed.

Got new injectors in, haven't thrown a P020 code yet however the mysterious rattle noise is still there and the shop didn't know what it was.

It sounds like someone is shaking a rattle can from 1500-1800 RPM and more prevalent before engine gets to operating temp, any ideas?

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

probably not the issue since it occurs at a certain rpm but have you checked the valve lash by chance?

2014 ram slt. 6.8L, s472, ddp supermental 150%'s, 12mm CP3, fleece powerflo, stage 2 d&j head, revmax 700,

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

2 recommendations to try.

Go to www.archoil.com and get the fuel system cleaner and the fuel additive. Maybe that's all they need.

That stuff works wonders.

You should see what it does for the Ford/International engines.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post