Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  10

Thread: Radius Arm Bolt and Nut Missing (A Bit Lengthy)

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Radius Arm Bolt and Nut Missing (A Bit Lengthy)

So, a week or so ago, I started hearing a clunking sound coming from somewhere when I would hit medium bumps. I couldn't tell where it was coming from but I figured maybe my passenger side battery was moving around since the tie-down is broken.

I got home and made sure it was set nice and comfy in the battery tray. I stopped hearing the sound until a few days ago when I was leaving work, and it was back with a vengeance! It sounded like someone was hitting my truck with a hammer from underneath. It got so bad that I stopped on my way out of the parking lot to look all underneath my truck. I tried to replicate it for someone who saw me and was checking if everything was OK. When I rocked the truck, he noticed my p/s radius arm was falling out of the frame. Sure enough, the bolt and nut that attach the radius arm to the frame were just gone! Got it towed home and started calling dealerships.

The new set of BS starts here. The diagram for 2014, even using VIN lookup, shows the older front suspension with upper and lower c/a's. So I drove an hour without this knowledge to the closest dealer that claimed to have the parts. They brought out the wrong thing. After a few minutes of talking to the parts guy and showing him a picture of what I was looking for, he looked up the diagram for a 2015, which has my suspension. It took us all of a minute to figure out what I needed. He had it in stock and I was out of there.

So if you are as lucky as me and find yourself googling to no avail, hopefully, you come across this post.

The part numbers you need are:
    6104305AA for the bolt.
    6509020AA for the nut.

Installation, even by yourself is fairly easy. I used a bottle jack to push up on the radius arm till the elevation of the holes were right and then pulled back on the top of the wheel with one hand(I'm not a big guy) and stuck the bolt through with the other. Finagled the nut onto the bolt and added a little Loctite (hindsight probably wouldn't have done that) and held back on the top of the wheel as I started running the bolt in with a 1/2" drive ratchet and 29mm socket. Once snug, I torqued it to 225lb-ft. I got that number from a lift kit install guide since I couldn't find the torque spec for that bolt anywhere else. I checked the torque on the d/s, it was pretty loose as well, so I torqued it.

I hope no one needs this info, but if you do, I hope it helps.

Parts came out to $37.31 out the door.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Radius Arm Bolt and Nut Missing (A Bit Lengthy)

Quote Originally Posted by Jbegault View Post
    So, a week or so ago, I started hearing a clunking sound coming from somewhere when I would hit medium bumps. I couldn't tell where it was coming from but I figured maybe my passenger side battery was moving around since the tie down is broken. I got home and made sure it was set nice and comfy in the battery tray. I stopped hearing the sound until a few days ago when I was leaving work, and it was back with a vengeance! It sounded like someone was hitting my truck with a hammer from underneath. It got so bad that I stopped on my way out of the parking lot to look all underneath my truck. I tried to replicate it for someone who saw me and was checking if everything was ok. When I rocked the truck, he noticed my p/s radius arm was falling out of the frame. Sure enough, the bolt and nut that attach the radius arm to the frame were just gone! Got it towed home and started calling dealerships.

New set of bs starts here. The diagram for a 2014, even using vin lookup, shows the older front suspension with upper and lower c/a's. So I drove an hour without this knowledge to the closest dealer that claimed to have the parts. They brought out the wrong thing. After a few minutes of talking to the parts guy and showing him a picture of what I was looking for, he looked up the diagram for a 2015, which has my suspension. It took us all of a minute to figure out what I needed. He had it in stock and I was out of there.

So if you are as lucky as me and find yourself googling to no avail, hopefully you come across this post.

The part numbers you need are:
    6104305AA for the bolt and
    6509020AA for the nut

Installation, even by yourself is fairly easy. I used a bottle jack to push up on the radius arm till the elevation of the holes were right and then pulled back on the top of the wheel with one hand(I'm not a big guy) and stuck the bolt through with the other. Finagled the nut onto the bolt and added a little loctite(hindsight probably wouldn't have done that) and held back on the top of the wheel as I started running the bolt in with a 1/2" drive ratchet and 29mm socket. Once snug, I torqued it to 225lb-ft. I got that number from a lift kit install guide since I couldn't find the torque spec for that bolt anywhere else. I checked the torque on the d/s, it was pretty loose as well, so I torqued it. I hope no one needs this info, but if you do, I hope it helps.

Parts came out to $37.31 out the door.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...c8100ca9b1.jpg

Wow I think I'll be checking mine real soon.

That could have ended badly.

2015 cummins 2500 crew cab w/ rf 68 s&b cold air,mbrp stainless 4" w/ muffler,mm3 tuner from double r diesel,xdr throttle valve delete,xdr egr delete,shibby plug kit, traxda 3.5"/2" lift, 20x12 hostile wheels w/35" amp at/g tires

3. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Crazy thing is 99.99% of my driving is on road.

There's no reason that it should've fallen out of there.

5. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Do you have a lift or leveling kit on the truck?

Are you the original owner?

If not I would be checking all the other fasteners while under there, plus the rear u bolts.

2018 srw 3500

7. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Suspension is all stock.

I'm not the original owner and it's a 5 link rear end.

I get what you're saying, though and already plan to check everything else, just haven't had the time.

I brought it to the dealership to do the alignment the day I bought it. They should've checked all that then. That was only 9 months ago.

Maybe I should call them and seek reimbursement for the parts and the day of work I missed.

I know my chances of winning that are slim to none, but it cant hurt to ask.

9. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post