Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  28
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Deep Transmission Pan?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Which Deep Transmission Pan?

I’m going to be performing a transmission service on my 68RFE, I figure I might as well install a deep pan with a drain plug while I’m at it.

The Revmax pan is the one I was looking at, as well as the mag-hytec.

Are there better ones you guys are having good luck with?

Or do I stay with the stock pan and weld a bung on it for a drain plug?

I’m ok with that if the deep pan is not a worthwhile addition.

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

I'm going to be replacing my stock pan this summer & replacing the filters and installing a Royal Purple spin-on in place of the cheap paper filter.

As of right now - I'm looking @ the PML or Goerend as replacements.

Really also like the PPE ...

I'm not really concerned with extra qt capacity - due to the ATS Thermal By-Pass install - My ATF temps have never been a issue... But extra fluid capacity is usually a Plus when lubrication and heat transfer is a concern...

What will happen is - I will wake up one morning - and just order the brand that gives me that feel good feeling and be good with it. (Like my PML rearend cover did) - It just felt right with zero regrets!

I just prefer an New HD Aluminum Pan with a drain plug implemented into it - I'm not much into fabrication with this New $60K Truck.

Hoping one of these will go on sale with free shipping in the near future! That right there just might be the deciding factor...

I think Dorman sells a 68RFE pan with the drain plug - But there are hundreds of reviews of this pan leaking @ the drain plug... Leaking Covers and Pans are not on my favorite thing to deal with!

I tend to always shy away from the brands that most owners buy (Most Popular) - Guess I have never been much of a simple follower & Im not a huge fan of paying almost $300 for a simple aluminum pan.... (When it cost the companies $40 to create) - Even though the one I'm probably going to purchase is $250...

Sorry! I apologize - I'm Rambling again...

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TUNED18 View Post
    I’m going to be performing a transmission service on my 68RFE, I figure I might as well install a deep pan with a drain plug while I’m at it.

The Revmax pan is the one I was looking at, as well as the mag-hytec. Are there better ones you guys are having good luck with?

Or do I stay with the stock pan and weld a bung on it for a drain plug?

I’m ok with that if the deep pan is not a worthwhile addition.
    As syn already stated, you get additional fluid capacity with a new deep pan.

Mag-Hytec, PPEI & RevMax are all good brands.

To me, the drain plug makes life so much easier and would be a good purchase in my book.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Likes SyN, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

The drain plug to me is just a convenience.

I will still drain and pull pan and inspect when I do a service.

So its a hard sell.

I have purchased pans before only due to extra capacity it that makes sense.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Mag-Hytec Double Deep Trans pan love mine no problems best one around in my mind.

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I installed the Mag-Hytec and have no complaints.

No leaks and quality built.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Received a yearly safety bonus today at work.

Wife told me to go ahead and order whichever one I wanted.

Took about 30 seconds to decide to go with the PPE - ($270 shipped).

Just liked the exact 3qt extra capacity.

Now: Too get serious about choosing or deciding on a serious maintenance plan.

Still thinking draining & refilling every 30K miles & dropping pan & doing filters & new ATF every 60K miles. (Depending on the amount of summer towing done).

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Big Brown truck just dropped this box off!

Probably going to be the middle of May before the PPE pan is installed & Refilled with Red Line C+ ATF...

Both OEM filters will be removed & replaced as well - Even though they will have less then 15K miles on them... I'm sure the flat pan filter will have some break-in wear metals trapped inside...(Might take time to cut it open to look see)
    I had to research a bit to find the spin-on filter is the 2nd Stage filter - I will replace this one with a Royal Purple (Synthetic Media Spin-On)...

It's going to be good piece of mind knowing the ATF cooler lines are going to be of no issue with rubbing...Also the filtering efficiency will be much higher...

Attached Images Attached Images

16. Thanks watersupply189, hrd2kdnp thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Very nice, I like the baffles inside that pan.

I did get the bd pan and it going on tomorrow with the billet channel plate and VB from Revmax.

I will see how my trans-lines interfere with the pan.

I got a royal purple filter and Revmax screw on adapter also.

It should be a big improvement as you stated.

16 cummins Laramie longhorn, ccsb, 35x12.5x20 xplora mts ,tis wheels,fully deleted, pusher add a turbo kit,stainless diesel 475 5blade turbo over 63mm VGT delete turbo,manton springs, manton valve bridges,manton pushrods,ARP 625 headstuds,steedspeed t4i manifold , S&S 80% over injectors, thuren rear trackbar, kingspeed billet valve cover, revmax valve body billet plate, CCV reroute, pusher intake horn, thuren 2in level with king 2.5 front and rear, sway bar kit ,track bar and king steering damper. Air bags from airlift. 4" exhaust, fass lift pump,MM3,DRD tunes.pusher coolant reroute.

18. Thanks SyN thanked for this post
    Likes SyN, watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

BP: Please post some pics of install.

I was very sceptical if I could tackle the valve body job on my own. (No experience in the past of doing this)

I'm sure you know: But just a reminder to remove the wrap around sticker on the RP filter - don't want them dissolving into tiny pieces & circulating throughout your 68RFE.

I honestly don't think the ATF will effect the purple paint on the filter itself.

I have a couple buddies who used a wire wheel to take all the paint off before install.
    Took about 5 min.

Though every thing I have read - leads me to believe the ATF will not have any effect on the paint on the filter...

What type of gasket you going to use?

Hope install goes flawlessly for ya!

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast