Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  34
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Won't Stay Running, Long Cranking with Multiple Attempts

1. Top Of Page | #1

Truck Won't Stay Running, Long Cranking with Multiple Attempts

Truck is a 2012 RAM with MM3 from DRD full delets. It had been pretty cold here this last week in the mornings (-10 to -15). I always run an additive and have never geled up. Sunday I thought this maybe the case. Trucked died while backing out the drive. Then had a really hard time restarting. After multiple attempts it fired but soon died. Gave it a few more goes. Then got it parked. Went to town got a new filter and some 911. Replaced filter and put some 911 in the filter housing. Put more additive in the tank as well. No change, long cranking times with multiple attempts then would fire and may run at an idle for a short while then die. Any time I put it in gear and go to pull out I might make it 50yds, then it all starts over. Added more fuel just to make sure. I also charged and tested the batteries. Date on batteries are August of 18, over 700 cca on both batteries. Only code that comes up is P2509. That only showed up after I unhooked the batteries.

Side notes the MM3 display has fallen a few times from the suction cup and extremely cold mornings not holding to the glass. The cable on the MM3 dose have a slight bend on the connector and is having a hard time making a good connection. I need to buy the pillar mount obviously. And to top it off had a guy back into my passenger tail light on Saturday.

What you smart guys think? I got a couple ideas but just didn't know if anyone else had something like this happen to them. Thanks for any help

2. Thanks Murph thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Junior48 View Post
    Truck is a 2012 RAM with MM3 from DRD full delets. It had been pretty cold here this last week in the mornings (-10 to -15). I always run an additive and have never geled up. Sunday I thought this maybe the case. Trucked died while backing out the drive. Then had a really hard time restarting. After multiple attempts it fired but soon died. Gave it a few more goes. Then got it parked. Went to town got a new filter and some 911. Replaced filter and put some 911 in the filter housing. Put more additive in the tank as well. No change, long cranking times with multiple attempts then would fire and may run at an idle for a short while then die. Any time I put it in gear and go to pull out I might make it 50yds, then it all starts over. Added more fuel just to make sure. I also charged and tested the batteries. Date on batteries are August of 18, over 700 cca on both batteries. Only code that comes up is P2509. That only showed up after I unhooked the batteries.

Side notes the MM3 display has fallen a few times from the suction cup and extremely cold mornings not holding to the glass. The cable on the MM3 dose have a slight bend on the connector and is having a hard time making a good connection. I need to buy the pillar mount obviously. And to top it off had a guy back into my passenger tail light on Saturday.

What you smart guys think? I got a couple ideas but just didn't know if anyone else had something like this happen to them. Thanks for any help
    We will still have to wait for the smart ones to chime in but were you able to verify rail pressure? It sounds like a fuel delivery issue like you have started investigating. How many miles on the truck? I would hook up MM3 and go to pressure menu- select rail pressure actual and rail pressure desired. See what the variance is when issue occurs and report back.

one other thing to check is for any codes. Was truck plugged in (heater)?

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Likes AK Bob, cumminsdieselfreak, Murph liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I agree with @TexNeck check the fuel rail pressure actual vs desired.

The P2509 was probably just the result of disconnecting the batteries within 10 minutes after key off.

See attached information on that code.

I am assuming that you load tested both batteries.

P2509.pdf

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Likes Murph liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I agree with to two prior, sounds like lack of fuel.

I would open the fuel bleeder on the filter and cycle the lift pump.

If no fuel or very little comes out, place a torpedo heater under the truck and make a tent with a tarp.

Being mindful to place the heater at the rear or away from flammable stuff.

might have to let it idle for a while, like 10-20 mins to get the fuel temp up and to get the additive mixed well in the lines.

2018 srw 3500

8. Thanks hoe thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Murph liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

As far as the code goes yes I did unhook the batteries after a start cycle within the 10 minutes. Yep both batteries where load tested. I have been motoring the actual rail pressure shortly after this started. It is just over 100 when I'm cranking then when it dose catch it idle between 4600 to just over 5000. When it falls on its face it is right now. Tuck has just over 86k. It was not plugged in when this all started.

10. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

As far as the code goes yes I did unhook the batteries after a start cycle within the 10 minutes. Yep both batteries where load tested. I have been motoring the actual rail pressure shortly after this started. It is just over 100 when I'm cranking then when it dose catch it idle between 4600 to just over 5000. When it falls on its face it is right now. Tuck has just over 86k. It was not plugged in when this all started.
    So rail pressure of 100 means it’s not building pressure and then there’s a surge and it sends fuel (once it catches is when it runs).

I would unplug the FCA and do a test on it to see if this is the culprit.

For test once running unplug for a few seconds then plug it back in.

Rail pressure should peg out (reading on MM3 will show last highest pressure during key cycle).

It likely will sound rattly like a 12V if it pegs out (which is a good thing).

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

12. Likes AK Bob, cwendel, Murph liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

Ok so here we go.

Did the test, yes once unplug it did sound like a 12V, but not quite as rattly as I was expecting.

Pressures went from 5047 at idle then spiked to 29556 once unplugged.

I did tap on the FCA a little bit, the idle pressures seem a little bit hight now just over 5k more consistent.

So now what.

14. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Ok so here we go.

Did the test, yes once unplug it did sound like a 12V, but not quite as rattly as I was expecting.

Pressures went from 5047 at idle then spiked to 29556 once unplugged.

I did tap on the FCA a little bit, the idle pressures seem a little bit hight now just over 5k more consistent.

So now what.
    So now we need have eliminated a bad CP3, FCA, and pressure relief valve.

My next thought goes to the code coming up about intermittent loss of connection with ECM.

You said batteries are good/load tested. Have you checked your chassis ground connections and fuses?

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

16. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

Nope have not done that yet.

Guess I'll start scrubbing tomorrow.

Hope I can find something...

18. Likes AK Bob, Murph liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

One other thing I just thought of. On Saturday I was driving the wife's pick up. (2018 1500) I did try to start her truck with my key. Had both sets in my pocket. I wouldn't think that could cause anything

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast