Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  34
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Truck Won't Stay Running, Long Cranking with Multiple Attempts

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Truck Won't Stay Running, Long Cranking with Multiple Attempts

With the cold weather this really exposes a weak or an exposed area in the electrical system.

The main battery ground if I remember is right under the pass side battery on the fender well if I remember correctly. water, grime etc then comes freezing weather.

Start at the ECM and inspect clean, all main battery line branches. and think in the last 5-6 months did you have any service or work done on truck.

Check that area if so for any clipped, tore or exposed. did you by chance notice when you tried to start that you would get the grid heater symbol on dash?

Did you notice when it did start the volts dipped down (during the grid heaters coming on)?

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

2. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

So just a quick update. I capped off the #1 injection line and the truck started. So I moved on to #2 , truck still started. So I stopped there. I didn't know if it would be worth going down the line or not. Pressure once started both times was over 5k. Could both be sticking a little bit possibly?

4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Not sure where you are going with this. Your original issue was hard starting and truck won’t stay running. Are you now saying it runs and no longer shuts down when you cap an injector?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

5. Top Of Page | #14

It still has a hard time starting and staying running.

I was hoping to eliminate a possable injector return issue.

Thinking one might be stuck open returning more fuel than it should.

Cut one out at a time and see if it will stay running.

Maybe the wrong route.

Figure it couldn't hurt.

6. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Guess it won’t hurt to eliminate the possibly but strange you are not seeing any trouble codes.

Please keep us posted.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Top Of Page | #16

Yeah the only codes I have seen are the 2509 that we figured came from unhooking the batteries 10 minutes after a key cycle.

I also got a code after I unplugged the FCA.

Those are the only two.

9. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Junior48 View Post
    As far as the code goes yes I did unhook the batteries after a start cycle within the 10 minutes. Yep both batteries where load tested. I have been motoring the actual rail pressure shortly after this started. It is just over 100 when I'm cranking then when it dose catch it idle between 4600 to just over 5000. When it falls on its face it is right now. Tuck has just over 86k. It was not plugged in when this all started.
    Just wanted to let you know that I verified on my truck if you are using your MM3 to monitor fuel rail pressure your previous readings are normal.

With ignition on “run” engine off I see 4600psi desired and 80 to 100 actual.

As soon as I start the engine both actual and desired run between 4600 and 5000psi at idle.

Hope this helps, if you’re injector plug off test didn’t correct any issues then except for possible contaminated fuel your fuel system should be good.

10. Top Of Page | #18

Yes that is big help.

Thank you.

11. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

How’s it going?

Any progress or updates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Top Of Page | #20

Re: Truck Won't Stay Running, Long Cranking with Multiple Attempts

No I wish I had something. But between being sick and work. Have not made really any progress. This weekend is not any better I have to work over it.

14. Likes AK Bob liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast