Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  45
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP! Water in oil?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

HELP! Water in oil?

Hey friends! I’ve been following many threads in the forum for a while now, but this is my first time posting. I’m having an issue with water in my oil, but I want to give you some history first..

I bought my 2014 RAM Cummins 6.7 last summer and I’m a first-time diesel owner. After reading about all the horror stories regarding the emission component failures (sooted up EGR’s, clogged DPF filters, etc.) and going through some of these similar issues on my Dad’s 6.7, I decided to upgrade my spark plugs

Post deletes, throttle response, power delivery and shifting are all unbelievably better. I had some issues that needed troubleshooting early on and I can say that Ray provides hands down some of the best service in the business!!

My issue: I noticed that my oil was slightly high after purchasing the truck and just assumed it was overfilled on its last oil change. First oil change after about 5,000 miles, slightly overfilled and I thought the oil seemed thin and “watery”, but again, first time diesel owner so hoped it was normal. I ran it for a couple more months and did periodic sampling of my dip stick which showed a green tint the oil as well as it being slightly overfill again. In doing more research on the web, I came to the conclusion that even though I couldn’t smell fuel in the oil, I may have an injector leaking down into the cylinder since I was getting a rising oil level, small puff of white smoke among start up and an idle lope when below freezing temps outside. All these things led me to return truck to stock and take it to the dealer (took it to the dealer because I figured if it was injector related, there would be a better chance of my third party warranty honoring the claim and fronting the $$. The tech spent a couple hours going through it and basically said since it was running well and not throwing any codes, he couldn’t determine anything being wrong with the truck. He didn’t smell any diesel in the oil and thought it looked ok. He blamed the oil rising on my Regens, not knowing the truck was previously deleted.

After leaving the dealer, I decided to send in a sample of my Delo 15W/40 oil with 1,800 miles on it to
    Blackstone Labs for analysis.
    (Another oil change interval at this period as well. second one since I bought the truck and within 7k miles) Here is what they came back with:

“We are not sure what kind of operational issues you are having, but the flash point at 44 degrees Fahrenheit shows no measurable fuel. The viscosity is on the thin side of the 15W/40 range, but the viscosity of 70.4 SUS still classifies as a 15W/40. We did find moisture in the oil, but it doesn’t appear to be from coolant based on low potassium and sodium. Wear looks ok, but water obviously shouldn’t be in the oil. Repeat this interval and check back.

According to the oil analysis, all elements metals looked good as far as wear goes, but SUS viscosity @ 210 degrees is 70.4 and the range is 69-79 so I'm right on the edge and that's only with 1,800 miles on the oil!!!

Now, I’ve heard that short commutes around town, which I do a lot of, are hard on these truck in the fact they don’t get hot enough to burn off the condensation. In looking at the bottom of my oil filler cap, there is almost what I would call a white milky oil substance that has formed. I’m wondering if this oil contamination from water could be due to my short trips around town or if I could potentially have a bigger issue? I would think condensation wouldn’t contribute toward oil rise as much as I’m seeing. How concerned should I be? Could I potentially have some sort of major issue? I do a lot of interstate driving and longer trips as well, but being my DD I am driving a few miles every day to work and back.

Any help/input would be greatly appreciated. Going by the oil analysis, I'm worried my oil viscosity will be less than 15W/40 within 3,000 miles. That can't be right..!

BJohnson

2. Thanks watersupply189, Murph thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Murph liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: HELP! Water in oil?

BJohnson: How is the truck driven?

Your driving Style/Habits...

I have no solution for you - but I am only curious?

Example: What %-Idle time / %-Stop & Go driving / %-Highway-Interstate / %-all short trips - not letting the 6.7L get up to operating temps.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Truck had 75,000 miles on it when I bought it with 700 idle hours and 2200 drive hours and I think this may be a little higher than the average for those miles.. It has roughly 83,000 miles now. I drive mostly city stop and go. My highway averages are usually longer trips 2+ hours driving over east. I would break my split down as 75% city (driving for 20 mins. at a time or less) and 25% highway (driving for 1.5 hrs. or more). I pull a 7,000 lb travel trailer about 5-6 times a year over the mountains.

I'm hoping if this is the contributor, I just need to drive the truck on long trips more. Maybe leaving the truck idling so the engine never shuts off when making short trips to the store would help? Still seems like that would be excess condensation getting into my oil.

BJohnson

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Branden Johnson View Post

Now, I’ve heard that short commutes around town, which I do a lot of, are hard on these truck in the fact they don’t get hot enough to burn off the condensation. In looking at the bottom of my oil filler cap, there is almost what I would call a white milky oil substance that has formed. I’m wondering if this oil contamination from water could be due to my short trips around town or if I could potentially have a bigger issue? I would think condensation wouldn’t contribute toward oil rise as much as I’m seeing. How concerned should I be? Could I potentially have some sort of major issue? I do a lot of interstate driving and longer trips as well, but being my DD I am driving a few miles every day to work and back.
    Short trips and condensation is where I was going to head with this but I don't know that I've ever heard it causing measurable amounts. Did the puffs of smoke on start up smell like raw fuel?
    I rarely drive my truck on short trips but in the rare event I do, I let it idle when I go in somewhere.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

to the forum @Branden Johnson

I want to subscribe and hear this out. From what I've heard, this is going to be a good one. No fuel but seems thin. Moisture but not coolant ? This is a good puzzle. What was the color of the oil when you drained it ? I assume it was hot when you pulled the plug, was is slightly foamy looking ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I was just talking to one of my forklift tech's that Cummins certified and he was scratching his head as well.

Just seems like a lot of condensation would need to form in order to dilute the oil this much within 2k miles. I'm going to pull the oil cap and see if I can get a look at the rocker arm when I get a chance this evening to see if there is any visual rust. I'll post some pictures when I can.

As far as start up, while deleted, yes - small puff of smoke that smells like fuel. Of course with all the emmissions components on there as of current, hard to tell. I do notice some white smoke for a little bit on really cold mornings on the way to work. Sounds like this is fairly normal from what I've read.

Oil is black with a green tint to it. I will see if I can get a picture of this as well. While truck was warm, it was very thin, like draining water out of the pan. I did not notice any foamy consistency with the oil

BJohnson

11. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

You never mention loss of coolant. There's no other means of water. It isn't fuel from the lab report.
    There isn't much left.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

13. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

No visible loss of coolant.

Just looked again and it’s still just a smudge under the “full” arrow.

BJohnson

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Branden Johnson View Post
    No visible loss of coolant.

Just looked again and it’s still just a smudge under the “full” arrow.
    Out of curiosity, do you know if the fuel filters have ever been changed?

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

17. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Yep, just changed them after my initial 5,000 mile oil change. Only have about 2,000 miles on them as of current

BJohnson

19. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast