Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  45
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Water in oil?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: HELP! Water in oil?

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you know if the fuel filters have ever been changed?

Yep, just changed them after my initial 5,000 mile oil change. Only have about 3,000 miles on them as of current

BJohnson

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Branden Johnson View Post
    Yep, just changed them after my initial 5,000 mile oil change. Only have about 3,000 miles on them as of current
    I'm out of options friend, keep us posted if anything changes.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Pictures of oil-soaked paper towels from wiping the dipstick at 1800 miles and bottom side of the oil filler cap.

Quite a significant difference from the sheen of fresh oil or even black used oil that I've seen.

Again, very thin, Hard to get a dipstick reading as it wants to run down before I can get reading.

BJohnson

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    I'm out of options friend, keep us posted if anything changes.
    Appreciate it!

So much great help on these forums.

Awesome community!

I will keep digging and keep y'all posted

BJohnson

8. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Kind of a shot in the dark here but what oil are you using? The oil thinning quickly over time is what I find concerning. A previous employer many years ago that bought their engine oil in bulk like most do. The oil delivery driver filled the tank with 10w-40 engine oil designed for cars rather than for a heavy duty diesel. 2 weeks after an oil change one truck (big rigs) came in the shop with very low oil pressure and another that day seized an engine while climbing a hill. Both were related to the wrong oil in the crankcase. This was way back in the heyday of the 855 cid Cummins which was eventually called the N14

Generally water in the oil including condensation will have a greyish color. The only Cummins I have seen condensation affect the oil was a big rig ISX15 that set for around a year. The company I work for put the truck into service without changing the oil and after a few thousand miles the condensation started showing grey on the upper part of the dipstick and in the oil filler tube. One oil change solved the issue. This is coming from a 35 year career in the trucking industry mostly as a driver.

The pic of the oil filler cap looks more yellow, almost like a wax vs the greyish water will show. Kinda makes me wonder what the previous owner poured in the crankcase and now that you have changed the oil is getting rid of whatever junk that was or you may have some additive in the oil that can't handle the stresses of these engines. It reminds of back in the 70's and 80's when was common to pour a lot of STP Oil Treatment in a mildy knocking or tapping engine to quiet it down long enough to sell it. I hope that's' not your case.

2024 Ram 2500 Tradesman 6.4l Hemi
    2021 Charger GT AWD Triple Nickel/Black

9. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

If you are unsure as to the fluid source, make sure the coolant is up to snuff, not overly watered down.

Second, do another oil change. You may have had synthetic 5W40 in before and if there was still some in the motor during your change then it will thin the oil a bit.

Could have been a qt or 2 hiding in the motor.

The water is a concern, but the puff of smoke is from the delete in the cold and the smoke is from you driving before warm.

Let it warm up to about 100 before you start out on a cold day and it should be better.

The same goes for the puff, mine did that in the beginning too, but not anymore.

Try adding a good cleaner/additive to the fuel and check the rear filter for water.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
    If it were not for bad luck I would have no luck at all.

using Tapatalk

11. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Have you replaced your CCV filter yet? Just a shot in the dark here...

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

13. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aboshan View Post
    Kind of a shot in the dark here but what oil are you using? The oil thinning quickly over time is what I find concerning. A previous employer many years ago that bought their engine oil in bulk like most do. The oil delivery driver filled the tank with 10w-40 engine oil designed for cars rather than for a heavy duty diesel. 2 weeks after an oil change one truck (big rigs) came in the shop with very low oil pressure and another that day seized an engine while climbing a hill. Both were related to the wrong oil in the crankcase. This was way back in the heyday of the 855 cid Cummins which was eventually called the N14

Generally water in the oil including condensation will have a greyish color. The only Cummins I have seen condensation affect the oil was a big rig ISX15 that set for around a year. The company I work for put the truck into service without changing the oil and after a few thousand miles the condensation started showing grey on the upper part of the dipstick and in the oil filler tube. One oil change solved the issue. This is coming from a 35 year career in the trucking industry mostly as a driver.

The pic of the oil filler cap looks more yellow, almost like a wax vs the greyish water will show. Kinda makes me wonder what the previous owner poured in the crankcase and now that you have changed the oil is getting rid of whatever junk that was or you may have some additive in the oil that can't handle the stresses of these engines. It reminds of back in the 70's and 80's when was common to pour a lot of STP Oil Treatment in a mildy knocking or tapping engine to quiet it down long enough to sell it. I hope that's' not your case.
    Using Chevron Delo 15W-40.

Never thought about the potential of residual additive from before, but no noticeable change to engine tone or sound upon my last oil change.

I left the oil drain plug out for hours with a warm engine when I changed it just to make sure I got it all out.

BJohnson

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Have you replaced your CCV filter yet? Just a shot in the dark here...

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!
    No, but I was assuming it would have been changed by the previous owner at 67k since it was still under the factory warranty and I believe it throws an engine light around that mileage to change it?

Would it throw me a code if the crankcase vacuum dropped below a certain negative pressure?

Not sure if I can tell if its "good" or not by looking at it, guess it could be cheap insurance to spend $75 and throw a new one in just to be safe.

BJohnson

16. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Branden Johnson View Post
    No, but I was assuming it would have been changed by the previous owner at 67k since it was still under the factory warranty and I believe it throws an engine light around that mileage to change it?

Would it throw me a code if the crankcase vacuum dropped below a certain negative pressure?

Not sure if I can tell if its "good" or not by looking at it, guess it could be cheap insurance to spend $75 and throw a new one in just to be safe.
    Brandon: This is one of the main reason I saved for 2 extra years to buy my new 2017 - I know to many people who are totally worthless and lazy and who have no desire to do any preventive maintenance on their own.

Never assume the previous owner was capable of doing anything - unless you talk to them in person & have actual records of doing it.

Sorry my Trust Factor is shot to $hit!
    Days of a simple hand shake - for loyalty and Trust are GONE! (That generation of Fine Folks are pretty much gone)

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

18. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast