Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Soft Brake Pedal Issue

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Soft Brake Pedal Issue

2016 Crew Cab Big Horn 4x4

Between driving to work and leaving work a few days ago my brake pedal went from normal/firm to very soft.

The truck sat for maybe 3 hours in our parking lot. Now the pedal will go clear to the floor, but a couple pumps will get it to firm up for a short period of time.

Brake fluid level is fine.

I replaced the hydro booster at the recommendation of a friend who had similar issues, and while it has gotten slightly better I still have the same issue.

I was losing power steering fluid before replacement; I am not now so it did have a leak somewhere even though I couldn’t find it.

Truck is 3 year old with 162,000 miles.

I’m thinking I need to get a brake flush done, but looking for other potential issues if I can find them.

The sudden onset with no fluid loss or any other outward sign is what has me really confused.

I have checked all ABS and brake related fuses I could find. No ABS or other warning lights. Pads are in good shape. No grinding, squealing or any other noises.

Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Soft Brake Pedal Issue

I was having a similar issue with my 96 12 valve years ago, the brake hoses were swelling and causing my pedal to get very soft.

Being that it is a newer truck being a 2016 I can't see that being the issue but you never know.

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MechanicalDiesel View Post
    I was having a similar issue with my 96 12 valve years ago, the brake hoses were swelling and causing my pedal to get very soft.

Being that it is a newer truck being a 2016 I can't see that being the issue but you never know.

Dang how in the world did you end up finding that it was due to swelling LOL. That couldn't have been easy at all!

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Likes MechanicalDiesel, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

It wasn't LOL, just kept replacing parts till it got fixed hahaha. I remember reading on a forum a long time ago and seeing that the brake hose that goes from the frame to the rear axle is usually the culprit. I just replaced them at the time with all stainless hoses. I miss that truck

Quote Originally Posted by DDP View Post
    Dang how in the world did you end up finding that it was due to swelling LOL. That couldn't have been easy at all!

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

It wasn't LOL, just kept replacing parts till it got fixed hahaha. I remember reading on a forum a long time ago and seeing that the brake hose that goes from the frame to the rear axle is usually the culprit. I just replaced them at the time with all stainless hoses. I miss that truck

Yeah, I had a 95 12 valve I had to sell to help the family out with some medical bills.

l'll get another one day for sure!

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Likes MechanicalDiesel, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I have read this is a possibility.

I haven’t had a chance to look over my lines yet.

Apparently you can basically get a bubble somewhere too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post