Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Holset H1C Questions

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Holset H1C Questions

Hello all,

I've started the process of tearing down my '89 D250 engine to clean it up a little (and probably the rest of the truck because we all know how these projects end up going) and noticed that the stock turbo has two small "weird" things.

The first is a chunk missing out of the compressor side shaft, right below the nut that holds it onto the actual common shaft (I hope that I'm using the right term there).

The second is that once I pulled the turbo and crossover intake off, I noticed a fair amount of oil inside the intake, like on the grid heater element and inner walls.

Once I got the compressor cover off of the turbo to try and get a better look at the missing chunk, I noticed that there is a slight sheen of oil over the entire face surface of the compressor side that is normally hidden by the compressor cover. It isn't like a coating of standing oil or anything, just slightly shiny and when I ran my finger across it a small dry spot was left from where the oil had been rubbed off.

So my two questions are: is the missing chunk a balancing thing from the factory or did this turbo somehow get damaged in the past (I just bought the truck this past summer with no real back story on the history of the truck other than "it's a 90K original mile, bone stock cruiser")?

And, is it normal to have oil like that on the inner face of the compressor that seems to have made it's way into the intake and on to the grid heater? I've redone the air system on my '18 and don't remember noticing any missing chunks on that turbo or oil on the grid heater element when I pulled the intake horn off of that engine. But, aside from doing some simple bolt-on stuff to my '18, I definitely don't have much of any experience when it comes to diesels and what's considered "normal" once you start tearing these things apart.

I'm hoping this is considered the norm on these old turbos, but I'm just looking for answers to figure out if I need to rebuild it/buy a better turbo while I'm at it.

Also, here's a shameless plug for the Instagram page I made for all the work I'm doing so far/will be doing to fix this old girl up in case y'all want to keep up: @project.swamp.fox

Thanks guys,
    Skiffer

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Holset H1C Questions

That definitely looks like a piece had broken off.

Hard to tell in the pic.

Also looks like a vane or so got chewed up a little.

As for the light oil your describing I’m sure someone on here will chime in with knowledge on that.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56