Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  16

Thread: GooseNeck Ball is stuck. Please help

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

GooseNeck Ball is stuck. Please help

So I have oiled the thing up till penetrating oil is dripping out from under the truck.

The black bit slides easily, the ball spins freely and it will not come out even with not so gentle coaxing from the pick.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AnOldBiker, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: GooseNeck Ball is stuck. Please help

@FireManBob

never had one, but isn't there a release under the bed ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Nope the black plastic is supposed to slide to the unlocked position and then the ball can be removed. Originally the plastic bit was stuck but oil and working at it makes it slide but it does not feel like it is releasing.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

mine has a bar in the wheel well to unlock the ball, is yours not like that?

i cant see the pictures as i have a free account and dont get to for some reason.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

From the ones I have seen, the oem ones lock like a ratchet locks onto a socket ( ball is pushed into a groove and wont release till the ball is released ).

I have not read about this issue yet, but I will be actively watching this thread, GL OP!

Maybe some heat will help? Or some "love" taps from below?

From all I have seen I want the b&w ball kit

Ps, you should join. I know it seems like allot of $ but trust me, worth it... just the drama free alone was worth it!

10. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

From what I can see the black thing should slide to the side and release the ***** that lock it in place.

It feels like its not connected to anything and maybe not releasing at all.

So I'm gonna try and push up from the bottom with a jack and work the latch from the top while beating it like a redheaded step child with a ball peen hammer.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

Any update?

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Years ago with my 01 F250 7.3L PSD - I had to totally remove the Turnover ball hitch and use a Torch to heat the whole thing up and bang the Heck out of it.
    it was so rusty down around the shaft - it practically welded it self to the hitch.
    I do remember now - We had to bring it to work and put the dang thing in the press and heat it up till it was glowing red then press it out!

Rule No#1 - Keep those things well greased up on the shaft that fits down in the bed. Never hurts to remove them every few months - takes about 2 min.

This might not be your issue - just make sure the bottom lever is releasing totally. Kroil was always my best friend @ least every couple of months if not used all the time.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

16. Likes watersupply189, Mdavlee liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

So aftrer two days of penetrating oil, heat and gentle tapping with an 8lb sledge I enlisted the help of my neighbor with 20 plus years as a mechanic. End resuld I cut the ball of flush and when weather is warmer I will remove the plate and take it to my bench to drill out. The issue appears to be that the locking ***** will not retract to release the hitch.

18. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Bob that stinks - I as well found out the hard way - now I am not shy with the red high heat grease & Kroil.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

20. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post