Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck Gear Shifter Parking On Slight Incline

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Stuck Gear Shifter Parking On Slight Incline

My drive way has a slight incline and I mean slight incline. I notice that when I park in my drive way and go to put in gear (any gear) the shifter get stuck and I can move the lever. I always use parking break but now I think I’m not pushing it down all the way.

When I want to put it I gear I physically rock back and forth in the driver seat to try and relieve the truck weight so I can get it in gear.

Should I smash down on the parking break even more?

I remember one time backing into a spot and was on the curb, turned truck off and shifter was stuck.

Any one else experience gear shifter being stuck.

2013 74k all stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Stuck Gear Shifter Parking On Slight Incline

more cowbell, i mean parking brake. also make sure you are pushing down on the brake when shifting out of park.

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=swamp donkey;177313]more cowbell, i mean parking brake. also make sure you are pushing down on the brake when shifting out

I’ll try more cow bell see if that helps
    Of course step on brake when shifting out of park. That’s the only way you can shift out of park.

Doesn’t explain why I had the same thing happen on flat ground. Almost like the trans is stuck due to the weight or when my wheels were wedge against the curb.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

when you put it in park, the parking pawl engages. if you don't use the parking brake and the truck rolls, it puts pressure on the parking pawl and you have to overcome that pressure to get the parking pawl to release.

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by swamp donkey View Post
    when you put it in park, the parking pawl engages. if you don't use the parking brake and the truck rolls, it puts pressure on the parking pawl and you have to overcome that pressure to get the parking pawl to release.
    Yes the truck does tend to roll slightly while engaging the parking break so I will push down a little harder
    Is there potential to damage anything if I have exert a lil more force trying to take the truck out of park?

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

You can break the pawl.

Have to disassemble the trans to get to it.

Whenever I park I put the truck in neutral, parking brake, then put the trans in park. level or hills.

12. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Shurup liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

^^^ What swamp donkey just said - when you park, keep your (right) foot on the brake, shift to neutral, then depress parking brake all the way, let your right foot off the brake pedal. If you're on an incline you'll feel the truck shift a bit as it loads up the parking brake. Then you can push the brake pedal again and shift it into park. As long as the parking brake doesn't slip this keeps the load off the parking pawl.

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

14. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I’m curious have you had the shift interlock recall done?

My truck would sometimes be hard/feel stuck.

Since recall was done it seems to have cured that.

Could be a coincidence since that is not the specific reason for the recall.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    I’m curious have you had the shift interlock recall done?

My truck would sometimes be hard/feel stuck.

Since recall was done it seems to have cured that.

Could be a coincidence since that is not the specific reason for the recall.
    I’m not sure, LOL there has been so many. When did that recall come out? I remember like a yr and half 2 yrs ago there was like 3 or 4 perhaps I need to stop by the dealership see what is still out there.

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Stuck Gear Shifter Parking On Slight Incline

Quote Originally Posted by sycoink View Post
    I’m not sure, LOL there has been so many. When did that recall come out? I remember like a yr and half 2 yrs ago there was like 3 or 4 perhaps I need to stop by the dealership see what is still out there.

If you go to Mopar.com create an account and enter your VIN # you will see all your completed and outstanding recalls.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

20. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, InlineSix.7 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast