Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Burnt / Burning Rubber Smell

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Question Burnt / Burning Rubber Smell

Pulled into my driveway and backed my trailer into the yard and caught a whiff that smelled like burnt rubber got out walked around smelled strongest under front left fender.

Read some other stuff and none seems to know about this MYSTERY SMELL OF BURNT RUBBER.

Note....used 4x4 earlier that day to pull a guy out the ditch very light pulling....roads damp and foggy that day...2014 with 107xxx miles so it's not burnt stickers and the fan clutch was engaged when I smelled it.

Immediately shut the truck off walked around checked the belt no signs of rubbing or slipping all pulleys turning belt didn't smell burnt.

All temps good on coolant 195, engine 201.checked all hoses next to engine/manifold etc...not sure where this smell came from.

Anyone else experience this ?

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Burnt / Burning Rubber Smell

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks123 View Post
    Pulled into my driveway and backed my trailer into the yard and caught a whiff that smelled like burnt rubber got out walked around smelled strongest under front left fender.

Read some other stuff and none seems to know about this MYSTERY SMELL OF BURNT RUBBER.

Note....used 4x4 earlier that day to pull a guy out the ditch very light pulling....roads damp and foggy that day...2014 with 107xxx miles so it's not burnt stickers and the fan clutch was engaged when I smelled it.

Immediately shut the truck off walked around checked the belt no signs of rubbing or slipping all pulleys turning belt didn't smell burnt.

All temps good on coolant 195, engine 201.checked all hoses next to engine/manifold etc...not sure where this smell came from.

Anyone else experience this ?
    I have had same issue, but I have come to conclude that it is the Regen.

I have checked vehicle over and over and have never found anything wrong anywhere on the truck, it's never a constant smell, I mean like every day.

I do notice it when Regen.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Check you idler pully and make sure it hasn't seized up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Yea its deff not constant thanks for the input I will pay attention to the Regen.

Regen is supposed to show on dash?

Because I've never seen it display on mine

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

It will only show on the dash if it’s at 90% full. Most of the time it Regens in the background.

I had a water pump recall on mine 2016 which said it could catch fire. Have you had yours checked?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

No I have not will check into it though.

Thank you for all the help and ideas.

11. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

If this was a one time event and after 4wheeling or whatever you are driving.

Something to consider elements around you could have been thrown up on the trucks exhaust.

I have had burning oil, grease and rubber granuls picked up from road get stuck and burn on exhaust.

I know Regen can be this kinda of smell.

I had this smell after 3 hour 70mph drives and my back new Nitto Tires had this burnt rubber smell. over greasing a joint and it flings up and gets on exhaust.

If you did a recent oil change there could of been spilled oil . etc. Rotella oil (Rosmella) some new oils stink. modded trucks that have a open Crankcase Venting to open air can really give off a smell too.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

13. Likes watersupply189 liked this post