Join us as a Lifetime Platinum Member today!

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  13
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 13.50’s on stock wheel?

  1. Top Of Page | #1
    REPUBLIC_OF_TEXAS's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    13.50’s on stock wheel?

    2013 4x4 2500 tradesman. 17” stock wheel, but can’t find consistent answers on the width of the wheel.

    Couple other forums I’m on claim it’s not a problem so long the tire is bigger than 33’s.

    This particular stock wheel has the plastic hub you have to take off in order to rotate tires.

    Any input?


  2. Likes 03 unicorn, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member 03 unicorn's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: 13.50’s on stock wheel?

    Quote Originally Posted by REPUBLIC_OF_TEXAS View Post
    2013 4x4 2500 tradesman. 17” stock wheel, but can’t find consistent answers on the width of the wheel.

    Couple other forums I’m on claim it’s not a problem so long the tire is bigger than 33’s.

    This particular stock wheel has the plastic hub you have to take off in order to rotate tires.

    Any input?
    My main concern would be tire wear because it would balloon out with the skinny rim. Do you haul weight often? You might compensate the wear with reduced psi but that reduces your tire weight capacity and your truck handling corners because the sidewalls will be softer. I hope this helps.

    Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk


  4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Booch035's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: 13.50’s on stock wheel?

    Quote Originally Posted by REPUBLIC_OF_TEXAS View Post
    2013 4x4 2500 tradesman. 17” stock wheel, but can’t find consistent answers on the width of the wheel.

    Couple other forums I’m on claim it’s not a problem so long the tire is bigger than 33’s.

    This particular stock wheel has the plastic hub you have to take off in order to rotate tires.

    Any input?
    You could always just measure your wheels.

    Shouldn't be hard.

    I do know you can put 12.50's on a 17" dually wheel and those are only 6.5" wide.

    2019 3500 Big Horn Dually, 6.7L Cummins, 68rfe, 255x80x17 St Maxx's.

  6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    REPUBLIC_OF_TEXAS's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: 13.50’s on stock wheel?

    Quote Originally Posted by 03 unicorn View Post
    My main concern would be tire wear because it would balloon out with the skinny rim. Do you haul weight often? You might compensate the wear with reduced psi but that reduces your tire weight capacity and your truck handling corners because the sidewalls will be softer. I hope this helps.

    Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    They’re 17x8 wheels and Weekly hooked you to welding trailers to stock trailers. That was one of my big concerns about being able to take the weight of a tractor on the trailer.


  8. Likes 03 unicorn, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5
    Booch035's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: 13.50’s on stock wheel?

    Quote Originally Posted by REPUBLIC_OF_TEXAS View Post
    They’re 17x8 wheels and Weekly hooked you to welding trailers to stock trailers. That was one of my big concerns about being able to take the weight of a tractor on the trailer.
    That would all depend on how much tongue weight your trailer is putting on the truck.

    My horse trailer has 3k pin weight on the truck which was a little more than I liked for my 2500 single wheel with oversized tires.

    2019 3500 Big Horn Dually, 6.7L Cummins, 68rfe, 255x80x17 St Maxx's.

  10. Thanks REPUBLIC_OF_TEXAS thanked for this post
    Likes 03 unicorn, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6
    REPUBLIC_OF_TEXAS's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: 13.50’s on stock wheel?

    So if you were in my boots would you think it be fine to run them?

    My research has provided that a lot of race guys will run a little wider tire on a narrower rim. I.E. my thought 37x13.50r17 on a 8 wheel.


  12. Likes watersupply189, 03 unicorn liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7
    Booch035's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: 13.50’s on stock wheel?

    Quote Originally Posted by REPUBLIC_OF_TEXAS View Post
    So if you were in my boots would you think it be fine to run them?

    My research has provided that a lot of race guys will run a little wider tire on a narrower rim. I.E. my thought 37x13.50r17 on a 8 wheel.
    I would say a 13.50 wide can go on a 8 wide wheel esp in a 37 because you have tons of sidewall to be able to flex.

    Other concerns would be:

    1) rubbing in the front
    2) how heavy are your trailers
    3) 37's with that much sidewall might get squirely in the turns. 35x12.50's might be better.

    2019 3500 Big Horn Dually, 6.7L Cummins, 68rfe, 255x80x17 St Maxx's.

  14. Thanks REPUBLIC_OF_TEXAS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, 03 unicorn liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8
    Crshanta's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: 13.50’s on stock wheel?

    It Is all going to depend on what the tire size and make of tire you are planning to run.

    If you go to Nitto or Toyo tires in the detailed specs you can see what the recommended wheel width is for a given tire size.

    By staying within the recommend width recommendation you can use the tire to the rated weight.

    By venturing outside the recommendation you will loose weight capacity.

    What specific tire size are you looking at?

    2018 srw 3500

  16. Thanks REPUBLIC_OF_TEXAS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •