Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  14

Thread: How to P-Pump Timing

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

How to P-Pump Timing

Hello I'm building a 12V for a customer and he asked me if i would set his timing to 18 so my question is how many mm of lift does the pump need to have at 18 degrees?

Please note I have a fair amount of experience with building Cummins and this baby has it all ARP all throughout aftermarket rods, pistons, big cam, 150 springs, double disc clucth, in cab adjustable afc, fire ring head and block just to name a few of them.

However I do not have a huge amount of p pump experience so here I am asking for help please.

Also if you have a better thought on what timing to use let me know.

Customer is hoping to get to 700 hp but I think 600 will be good.

It has 125 injectors and delivery, valves governor spring,s and not sure what else done to p pump besides arc.

Thanks to all of you who chime in.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: How to P-Pump Timing

Quote Originally Posted by dmuney View Post
    Hello I'm building a 12V for a customer and he asked me if i would set his timing to 18 so my question is how many mm of lift does the pump need to have at 18 degrees?

Please note I have a fair amount of experience with building Cummins and this baby has it all ARP all throughout aftermarket rods, pistons, big cam, 150 springs, double disc clucth, in cab adjustable afc, fire ring head and block just to name a few of them.

However I do not have a huge amount of p pump experience so here I am asking for help please.

Also if you have a better thought on what timing to use let me know.

Customer is hoping to get to 700 hp but I think 600 will be good.

It has 125 injectors and delivery, valves governor spring,s and not sure what else done to p pump besides arc.

Thanks to all of you who chime in.

I'll shoot you a pm to help ya out.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Thanks dmuney, timshooter40 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, dmuney, timshooter40 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DDP View Post
    I'll shoot you a pm to help ya out.
    Hey thank you so much, that was much simpler than what the service manual was telling me.

I think it took me 2 attempts to get it correct.

The hardest part is making sure the timing doesn't change when you tighten the nut on the pump.

That was a royal pain in the you know what.

6. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40, Mdavlee liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

How to P-Pump Timing

Glad you got it sorted out.

I’ve took up to 8-10 tries to get them to stay after torquing.

I ran 22-24 on my 97 with 4.10 gears. It helped the mileage out over 20 degrees.

With all his other work I’d bump it over 20 and give it a try. AFC tuning on the pump will make a big difference in smoke and drivability.

8. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, dmuney liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mdavlee View Post
    Glad you got it sorted out.

I’ve took up to 8-10 tries to get them to stay after torquing.

I ran 22-24 on my 97 with 4.10 gears. It helped the mileage out over 20 degrees.

With all his other work I’d bump it over 20 and give it a try. AFC tuning on the pump will make a big difference in smoke and drivability.
    Yes getting the pump to stay in time while tightening the nut is a *****!

I had to set timing at one spot and tighten nut and see how far the needle moved and then loosened and move the pump that much farther and re-torqued and perfect.

What I did was I took a file and made a few minor scuffs on pump shaft and gear to aid in the gear staying put and I over torque the nut I’ve had them come loose in the past.

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Mdavlee liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dmuney View Post
    Yes getting the pump to stay in time while tightening the nut is a *****!

I had to set timing at one spot and tighten nut and see how far the needle moved and then loosened and move the pump that much farther and re-torqued and perfect.

What I did was I took a file and made a few minor scuffs on pump shaft and gear to aid in the gear staying put and I over torque the nut I’ve had them come loose in the past.
    I would shoot brake cleaner and let it dry to make sure it was oil free and wait a few minutes.

That was the best way I found without worrying about shavings or dust getting in anything.

Out of the truck scuffing it up with Scotchbrite was what I liked to do.

12. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, dmuney liked this post