Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 17 2500 Turbo and Fuel Upgrades

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

17 2500 Turbo and Fuel Upgrades

Looking to do some upgrades to get around 700-800rwhp. Truck is a 2017 2500 mega cab. Its a daily driver (well sort of I have a work truck that I drive well for work every day so this is an evening run around or when I go on a trip and stuff like that) I tow with maybe 2-3 times a month. Nothing too heavy 14k is usually the heaviest. I was originally looking at doing a pusher compound setup, however I read a few places that once you get around 700hp with compounds there are issues with bending rods. I don’t want to get into switching rods and want everything to be reliable. So now I’m thinking of going with a S467 2nd gen swap.

Here is currently what is done to the truck:
    + 5” turbo back exhaust
    + Fleece in tank lift pump
    + EGR delete
    + MM3 tuning DRD

I am looking to do upgrades kinda in phases with maybe a few weeks in between. Mostly so I can work on the truck for a day on the weekend or a few evenings and have it back up and running, and not be without it for more than a few days at a time. The order of these can be changed this is just what I had in mind.

Phase 1:
    + Head Studs – 625
    + Valve springs, push rods
    + Injectors – 45%-60% overs
    I want to try to do everything inside the head at the same time and want to get the head studs done before I have any issues with the head gasket.

Phase 2:
    + Revmax 850 transmission
    + Fleece coolant bypass

Phase 3:
    + 2nd gen Swap with S467.7
    + BD Exhaust Brake

Phase 4:
    + 10mm CP3

I think that’s it unless I am missing something. I can change any of these “Phases” around if someone thinks something should be done before the other. So here are some questions that I have:
    1.) Does everything I said above make sense is there something that anyone thinks would be better components to put together? I’m not 100% set on any of these parts (well besides the ones I have already)
    2.) What size injectors would be best for this setup? I was thinking S&S 45% overs.
    3.) What stall torque converter? Do I need to get the transmission with the “Revmax Tuning Required”?
    4.) I don’t tow a lot but I love the exhaust brake and would like to keep one. Does the BD work with the MM3 through the factory switch?
    5.) Is the 10mm CP3 going to be enough or should I go with a 12mm? I was thinking of doing a single instead of duals for simplicity.
    6.) When will I need to retune? Can I run the current “Stock” tunes that I have from DRD until I get everything upgraded or am I going to need to retune as I go?

I think that’s it for now. Thanks if you made it through all that and for any suggestions/help.
    -Ray

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 17 2500 Turbo and Fuel Upgrades

What's the difference at 700hp compounds or 700hp single turbo with not bending rods? Just curious how that works

16 cummins Laramie longhorn, ccsb, 35x12.5x20 xplora mts ,tis wheels,fully deleted, pusher add a turbo kit,stainless diesel 475 5blade turbo over 63mm VGT delete turbo,manton springs, manton valve bridges,manton pushrods,ARP 625 headstuds,steedspeed t4i manifold , S&S 80% over injectors, thuren rear trackbar, kingspeed billet valve cover, revmax valve body billet plate, CCV reroute, pusher intake horn, thuren 2in level with king 2.5 front and rear, sway bar kit ,track bar and king steering damper. Air bags from airlift. 4" exhaust, fass lift pump,MM3,DRD tunes.pusher coolant reroute.

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

@rayr87
    Since your going over 700 hp you might consider a higher output fuel pump and a larger air cleaner.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Very interested to see where this conversation goes. Lots of dream plans i'd also love to do to my truck one day.

2016 Ram 2500 Mega Cab - 68RFE - Carli 2.5" level coils - Carli radius arm drops - Carli 1" rear coils w/ RC 1" rear spacers - 17x8.5 0mm Method Mesh - 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T - AAM 4.10 gears - Airlift 5000 bags - Airlift Wireless OBO - PacBrake Oil Filter Relocator

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I have no idea. I could be mistaken I am far from an expert. I just thought a recalled reading it in a few different places. I think that it's how much torque they can make at a low rpm due to being able to spool so quickly. If it's anything over 700 then maybe I need to set my sights a little lower or plan more upgrades

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

In all hope not to bend my rods , I like you, am doing a compound set up from pusher, just got the kit in the garage, also grabbed a 10mm fleece CP3 , and ddp 90hp nozzels , I did but the manton valve springs and pushrods to help keep the valves in check. I have a fass lift pump and beans sump already installed with the arp 625's i am hopefully going to achieve 700hp also indo have a steed speed manifold i need to put on before the compounds get installed.

16 cummins Laramie longhorn, ccsb, 35x12.5x20 xplora mts ,tis wheels,fully deleted, pusher add a turbo kit,stainless diesel 475 5blade turbo over 63mm VGT delete turbo,manton springs, manton valve bridges,manton pushrods,ARP 625 headstuds,steedspeed t4i manifold , S&S 80% over injectors, thuren rear trackbar, kingspeed billet valve cover, revmax valve body billet plate, CCV reroute, pusher intake horn, thuren 2in level with king 2.5 front and rear, sway bar kit ,track bar and king steering damper. Air bags from airlift. 4" exhaust, fass lift pump,MM3,DRD tunes.pusher coolant reroute.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I won't be able to help with everything you need at the moment but I'll help where I can.

So as far as your injectors and CP3 go they need to be done at the same time just about; the stock CP3 won't be able to keep up with the oversized injectors and you can run into
    cavitation of your injectors causing damage or premature failure. Also something to keep in mind is running dual CP3's is more reliable and efficient because you will split the load of one CP3 into two. Something else to add to this; if you do your fueling upgrades without the turbo you'll be running too rich for the stock turbo; all this being said I know its costly to do everything at one time but its almost the best and only way to go for your goal but you can do other parts first to prepare for this stage which I will cover below.

You have the major components covered which is good but you will need to rework you intake system in order to take full advantage of the upgrades and reach peak efficiency and the lowest spool time. For the intake system you'' need a cold air intake, an upgraded intercooler isn't necessary but it will lower the intake temps their for making more power by having denser air as well as it will outflow the factory inter cooler, lastly you'll need to upgrade your intake horn. You'll need to look into exhaust manifolds too since your doing a second gen swap and some kits don't come with manifolds; now one of the highest flowing manifolds on the market is a steed speed manifold they cost a little bit more but they flow the best at the lowest temp and have an excellent ceremaic coating.

Now you have a long list of parts to look up and start pricing out and Clayton over @DDP can get you taken care of with everything you need; and I'm sure we will have others help where they can as well.

14. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Mirth3500 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Also this has been quite the out of pocket expense and it's all paid for no credit card. But this is a costly journey so hopefully it doesn't take me into opening up the motor to do rods.

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Forgot to answer the question about compounds. So the reason compounds have a tendency to bend rods is they increase the pressure inside the cylinder which puts more pressure on the stock rods which can bend. I know some guys that have run compounds on stock rods no problem but it all depends on how you drive your truck

18. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    Forgot to answer the question about compounds. So the reason compounds have a tendency to bend rods is they increase the pressure inside the cylinder which puts more pressure on the stock rods which can bend. I know some guys that have run compounds on stock rods no problem but it all depends on how you drive your truck
    Ok this is what I thought, I'm not going to be standing on the pedal from a stop or anything like that but toeing into it on the highway for sure. So if I drive smart and tow when needed I should be fine then.

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast