Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  33
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote Start Block Heater Generator

1. Top Of Page | #1

Remote Start Block Heater Generator

I don't know where to correctly post this. I hope this is correct, and if not feel free to move me....

I don't really need to do do this mod. I know my truck will have zero issues starting in the cold, let alone the cold in Colorado. Now that that whole discussion is ended, I shall explain what I am doing.

Long story short. I asked if I could plug my block heater into the plug at my works parking garage. I was told sure!. So I did. It lasted half a day. Someone complained and they not only unplugged it, but zip tied the cover shut. Fast forward, it was my company, and yeah...... so it is spawned because of global warming politics ( agree or disagree. That's your choice, and this is not the place for it..... ) and so, I decided because 1) I can, 2) this is a fun project, and 3) to do our it out of spite for them..... why not make a remote start generator, that if I am right (and I may not be ) I can start anywhere via wifi but 100% for sure via timer that will not only be self sustaining ( charge my batteries ) but warm my block.

I know of the other heating options avail ( coolant heaters, espars ect .... ) but that's too easy. So why not, as well some seemed to like my aux switch mod.

Bit of background i love computers. I build quad GPU computers that can cost more then people's new cars. I taught my self some about electronics, how to solder electronics, and personally I do hvac.

This will be a long term project ( to be complete before Feb i hope. Parts are enroute but i need to order the exhaust and test the heat transfer.... )

My goals : self sustaining generator, eventually hoping to run off of the truck batteries ( not till I trust it! ), using an rv power center ( has built in 12vdc transfer switch, amp load capability and 3 stage battery charger ), power what's known as a fan controller, which will maintain truck bed temperature (I have a cover on my bed) bring in outside cold air as needed, and send the start signal to the generator. The generator will exhaust through a remote exhaust tube, through my factory gooseneck prep and piped outside.

I have zero idea if this is illegal, I sure hope not.......

What I currently have

Generator ( champion 3100w remote start )
    Truck
    Bed cover (retrax
    Tools ( wood, electrical, soldering - I will add of I think I am missing something )
    Fans ( I am using gentle typhoon 4250 rpm pwm moded fans)
    Various pc connectors and pins
    Fan controller ( aqua computer aquaero )
    Various relays
    Old truck battery that works
    Wire

On order
    YYC-2S relay
    Fan finger shields
    remote exhaust kit
    Exhaust insulation tape / high temp metal zip ties

Need
    Battery holder/ case (rv)
    Wood
    Rv power center

I will continue later explaining what I have done, so far. Hope you like it, and are interested.

All the above said.... this project may crash and burn. I need to get this remote exhaust kit and test it. With it and an additional silicone exhaust tube as a sleeve it may get too hot to use in my bed, if it does, game over.....
    Click below for:
    Part 2: Planning
    Part 3 : Wood!

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Remote Start Block Heater Generator

Very interesting idea. I have no idea how to help but looking forward to following along.

Honestly a little amazing that they think idling your truck to warm it up is less impactful on the environment then plugging in the block heater.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

4. Top Of Page | #3

Isn't though.... that's what makes me LOL, they could just be jealous, their gasser doesn't have one.

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Awesome idea.

When you do start this project can you add pictures along the way?

Thanks.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

6. Top Of Page | #5

Yes I will be adding pics.

Need to get off my bum.... think I will be doing the wood this weekend.... that reminds me I need fan shields.

Gonna try to order the exhaust stuff tonight. .

7. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6

Part 2

Ok. So here is my plan. Please forgive my epic drawing skills.... this was done on a note 8.

Here you can easily see the path for the exhaust:

20200206_165546.jpg

Here:
    blue = wall ( at present wood. May do metal in future )
    Purple =fans
    Yellow = present battery location
    Currently unknown = high voltage electrical connections and boxes, controller box

20200206_171743.jpg

In that pic you can see the generator.

All for now (planning stages) waiting on exhaust may build wood Saturday or Friday.

9. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

Update:

Screenshot_20200207-050700_Phone.jpg

Most stuff on order. Most should be here around valentine's.

Have till then to build framing and walls

Also I have another conundrum to figure out....
    While my cover "locks" in any position. I want to feel safer ( the retrax uses pointed set screws to lock in position ) [ which I can't find any pictures of ]

So that said I wand to find another way to lock the topper. But I want use of my bed....... so I don't know yet.... one of my thoughts involves the locking arm location ( if locked it hits the " wall if unlocked it passes by )

11. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
    I don't know where to correctly post this. I hope this is correct, and if not feel free to move me....

I don't really need to do do this mod. I know my truck will have zero issues starting in the cold, let alone the cold in Colorado. Now that that whole discussion is ended, I shall explain what I am doing.

Long story short. I asked if I could plug my block heater into the plug at my works parking garage. I was told sure!. So I did. It lasted half a day. Someone complained and they not only unplugged it, but zip tied the cover shut. Fast forward, it was my company, and yeah...... so it is spawned because of global warming politics ( agree or disagree. That's your choice, and this is not the place for it..... ) and so, I decided because 1) I can, 2) this is a fun project, and 3) to do our it out of spite for them..... why not make a remote start generator, that if I am right (and I may not be ) I can start anywhere via wifi but 100% for sure via timer that will not only be self sustaining ( charge my batteries ) but warm my block.

I know of the other heating options avail ( coolant heaters, espars ect .... ) but that's too easy. So why not, as well some seemed to like my aux switch mod.

Bit of background i love computers. I build quad GPU computers that can cost more then people's new cars. I taught my self some about electronics, how to solder electronics, and personally I do hvac.

This will be a long term project ( to be complete before Feb i hope. Parts are enroute but i need to order the exhaust and test the heat transfer.... )

My goals : self sustaining generator, eventually hoping to run off of the truck batteries ( not till I trust it! ), using an rv power center ( has built in 12vdc transfer switch, amp load capability and 3 stage battery charger ), power what's known as a fan controller, which will maintain truck bed temperature (I have a cover on my bed) bring in outside cold air as needed, and send the start signal to the generator. The generator will exhaust through a remote exhaust tube, through my factory gooseneck prep and piped outside.

I have zero idea if this is illegal, I sure hope not.......

What I currently have

Generator ( champion 3100w remote start )
    Truck
    Bed cover (retrax
    Tools ( wood, electrical, soldering - I will add of I think I am missing something )
    Fans ( I am using gentle typhoon 4250 rpm pwm moded fans)
    Various pc connectors and pins
    Fan controller ( aqua computer aquaero )
    Various relays
    Old truck battery that works
    Wire

On order
    YYC-2S relay
    Fan finger shields
    remote exhaust kit
    Exhaust insulation tape / high temp metal zip ties

Need
    Battery holder/ case (rv)
    Wood
    Rv power center

I will continue later explaining what I have done, so far. Hope you like it, and are interested.

All the above said.... this project may crash and burn. I need to get this remote exhaust kit and test it. With it and an additional silicone exhaust tube as a sleeve it may get too hot to user in my bed, if it does, game over.....
    Click below for:
    Part 2:Planning
    Sounds like an awesome project I will be following along good luck

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

13. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

You're overthinking this.

An Espar or Webasto heater will accomplish what you are after without losing any bed space and if done right your cab will be warm as well when you go to get in the truck.

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    You're overthinking this.

An Espar or Webasto heater will accomplish what you are after without losing any bed space and if done right your cab will be warm as well when you go to get in the truck.
    And, this is why I already covered this

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post

.......[edited out for purposes of this quote].....

To add to this, when I go camping, I won't have to lug out my generator, run over the metal plate I have attached to it (so it won't get stolen ).

I know I can do an espar ( probably would do a webasto )
    I may even do it. But
    1 ) could you do this project? It's not as custom as i normally would and yet still fun!
    2 ) would either of those piss off the tree huggers at work?. No this will be far more fun, esp after I park in front of their " no idling " signs

Frankly the bed space loss is minimal as I always carry the generator anyway and I am making everything for quick disassembly

17. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast