Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  87
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Fluid

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Transmission Fluid

So I just did my valve body on my 2014 2500, and I filled the tans back up got it to operating temp and checked the fluid with the truck in neutral and it’s just about to the hot mark.

That’s how the dipstick tells you to check it but I’ve been reading things and they say to check in park.

If I check it in park the fluid is barely on the dipsticks.

Any help would be great.

2014 2500 on Fuel rims, custom aluminum grill emblem, mm3 DRD tuned, 4” jamo tbe exhaust, led fog lights, steering box brace, took Vinyl off doors.

2. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Transmission Fluid

Quote Originally Posted by Abgunnar View Post
    So I just did my valve body on my 2014 2500, and I filled the tans back up got it to operating temp and checked the fluid with the truck in neutral and it’s just about to the hot mark.

That’s how the dipstick tells you to check it but I’ve been reading things and they say to check in park.

If I check it in park the fluid is barely on the dipsticks.

Any help would be great.
    When you filled up the trans did you have it running?

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    When you filled up the trans did you have it running?
    Yes had it idling in neutral, after I put back in about the amount of fluid I took out.

2014 2500 on Fuel rims, custom aluminum grill emblem, mm3 DRD tuned, 4” jamo tbe exhaust, led fog lights, steering box brace, took Vinyl off doors.

5. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Yes had it idling in neutral, after I put back in about the amount of fluid I took out.
    Link below has the owners manual.

Page 667 says to get temp off EVIC, cycle through all gears and end back in PARK to check fluid level.

https://carmanuals2.com/sc/72801

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Transmission fluid temperature will also have a big influence on the level.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40, SyN liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

It has always been such a pain for me when it comes to checking the trans fluid....whenever you finally get it right, just make sure next time to take note how much you drain...that always helps me a lot

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Link below has the owners manual.

Page 667 says to get temp off EVIC, cycle through all gears and end back in PARK to check fluid level.

https://carmanuals2.com/sc/72801
    it just doesn’t make sense to me, when it neutral at 168 degrees it’s we’re it should be if you put it in park there’s barely anything on dipstick.

11. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

it just doesn’t make sense to me, when it neutral at 168 degrees it’s we’re it should be if you put it in park there’s barely anything on dipstick.
    I am by no means a 68 expert but with what I do know my thought is when in park the transmission stops fluid flow and catches fluid to store in the converter.

There is a check ball that stops flow, you may see some threads with built transmission removing this ball for better flow and prevent overheating (for the paranoid).

With the “trapped” fluid in the converter (in park) missing they advise to check in park since it is using the most.

In neutral and all other gears there is fluid moving constantly as everything is open for flow to keep fluid cool.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    I am by no means a 68 expert but with what I do know my thought is when in park the transmission stops fluid flow and catches fluid to store in the converter.

There is a check ball that stops flow, you may see some threads with built transmission removing this ball for better flow and prevent overheating (for the paranoid).

With the “trapped” fluid in the converter (in park) missing they advise to check in park since it is using the most.

In neutral and all other gears there is fluid moving constantly as everything is open for flow to keep fluid cool.
    Thanks that makes sense.

I guess I’ll check it again in park and add some fluid to get it close to the hot line.

14. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

So I emailed Revmax and asked them about checking the fluid level they said to check it in neutral at operating temp.

I also asked Andy from Chester county transportation and he said they always check in neutral.

So now I’m really confused.

15. Thanks cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast