Thread: 4L80E behind a 6BT

1. Top Of Page | #11
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Re: 4L80E behind a 6BT

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    Welcome to the family
    Thanks Dan

I'll be posting updates of my project once I get more things done.

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Re: 4L80E behind a 6BT

Quote Originally Posted by 77Wrecker View Post
    Thanks for the reply AJ,

Any idea what's needed to complete the Allison swap (apart from the adapter, flex plate and the standalone controller)? How much would it approximately cost? Where can I find the Allison transmission other than in GM diesel trucks (lightweight diesel trucks aren't common around here), i.e which medium/heavy duty trucks came with the Allison

I thought about that before, but I was worried I would run into having to order a complete rebuilt transmission and have it shipped overseas. (Shipping alone would cost upwards of $2K).

Thanks again AJ.
    It will not be cheap.

The transmissions are expensive and so are the conversion parts.

I think it would be worth it in the end if you going to keep the truck long term and actually work it.

Check out CACONVERSIONS.com they have all the parts and info you need to make the conversion and from what I hear they are happy to answer questions over the phone if you prefer.

You will need an Allison 1000. They were installed in all GM 2500 and 3500 trucks with the Duramax diesel starting in 2001.

In 2006 they switched from a 5 speed to a 6 speed version but either one would work just fine for you.

I think the many of the Medium Duty dump trucks and whatnot had a different series of Allison, like the 3000 series.

They would not work for you. Something like a 4500 or 5500 commercial truck with a Duramax would probably still have the 1000 series.

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12